RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > another tyre question for everyone
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Eskimo

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
another tyre question for everyone

So currently running Nexen Roadian HPs (275/45 r20) and although they have been a great tyre from a grip/noise point of view the wer rate hasn't been that good.

They're now down to around 2mm and have only covered ~20,000mls.

So in my quest to find the perfect tyre for little/no money (I know it doesn't truly exist), beyond the usual recommendations for Perelli, Conti and other such enormously expensive rubber does anyone have any decent suggestions for a slightly higher mileage mid range tyre, so far I'm considering the following:

Nexen Roadian HP (my current tyres and a possible candidate)
Falken FK510 SUV XL
Cooper ZEON LTX
General Grabber AT3
Hankook Ventus RH06

I don't necessarily need an AT, but having the ability to get across wet grass without spinning the wheels and getting nowhere would be good. I have driven other 4x4 on ATs so understand the limitations of the on road manners etc.

Any suggestions/recommendations welcome, but please don't be offended if i don't go with your personal favourites (I'm just trying to get some real world reviews of mid range tyres to help with the decision process).

Thanks in advance 2006 RRS HSE 2.7 TDV6 (The Baby one as I keep being told)
1999 Discovery 4.0 V8 (Gone but not forgotten)
1997 Range Rover 3.5 V8 (Long gone now)
1966 Series II SWB with RR 3.5 V8 (Never finished, now sold)

Post #604728 Mon Sep 21 2020 4:25pm
Silverstone

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Baltic Blue

I fitted the General Grabber AT3 earlier this year and very happy so far. Not sure on rate of wear as only had them for 3-4000 miles (due to lockdown etc). Fuel consumption appears to be no worse.

Off road they are much better than normal road tyres but not invincible in deep wet mud - even in a field.

Only slight down side of AT tyres for me as that I have a gravel driveway and the AT drags stones into the road so badly that I sweep the pavement and road outside our gate every other day! There is no replacement for displacement - W O Bentley

MY2013 5.0 Supercharged HSE L320

Post #604729 Mon Sep 21 2020 4:31pm
Dave B

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Have no experience of your suggested tyre, but, over say 40,000 miles, the expensive ones to buy should be cheaper in the long run.

The weight of our vehicles really need a 'proper' tyre.

Dave 2010 3.6 TDV8 HSE (Gone)
2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago)

Post #604730 Mon Sep 21 2020 4:46pm
Eskimo

Dave,

Not wanting to cause an argument, and this where I'm having the problem, what exactly constitutes a proper tyre?

All above are in excess of the required load rating for the sport ie 106v, admittedly the Cooper LTX and the Grabber have a lower speed rating but are in excess of the national speed limits so there is a question as to whether that would be an issue or not.

The cheapest 110v rated Pirelli i could get was £199, whereas the cheapest of the above the Nexen 110v was £115.

That makes a saving of £336 for four tyres, almost 1/2 price and getting 20,000(ish) out of the cheaper tyres is the same as 40,000(ish)out of the expensive ones.

Like I say not trying to cause an argument, i'm trying to understand the need for the uber expensive over the mid range and also trying to establish if anyone has any experience of the above tyres.

I have Contis on my old Kuga and swapped them for a set of Avons and the difference in noise and comfort was amazing and there was little if any difference in handling between the 2 makes, And this what makes so damn tricky to pick the right tyre Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 2006 RRS HSE 2.7 TDV6 (The Baby one as I keep being told)

Post #604731 Mon Sep 21 2020 5:09pm
Dave B

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Fully understand your point of view.

A friend put £90 budget tyres on his RRS, and spirited driving caused concern with noticeable wear on the outer shoulders in next to no time.

If you were to pick up a Michelin 4x4 tyre by the sidewall, it would deflect out due to the weight. Do the same with the Pirelli Verde All Season and the sidewall will remain vertical. Both are quality tyres designed for 4x4 use, but the Pirelli was made specifically for use by Land/Range Rover.

How much a tyre deflects under load/use determines the wear rate.

I had a Quattro Sport many years ago, Goodyear F1 tyres were the best for it and lasted 15,000 miles a corner, I once put Bridgestones on and they were shot at the edges before 10,000.

That's just my point of view, another friend likes to have new tyres every year, so puts soft ones on, has the grip but realises the trade off is having to change them more often.

No one is right and no one is wrong, we just have different points of view, I just know both my RRS and my Disco4 Commercial which tows for a living will only ever have Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons on them.

Dave 2010 3.6 TDV8 HSE (Gone)
2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago)

Post #604732 Mon Sep 21 2020 5:53pm
Grimble

United Kingdom 

A lot depends upon your driving style and journeys.
If you don't tow and mostly do motorways, then a budget tyre should be fine.
If you push it a bit on twistys then you do get what you pay for. RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Nemo mortalium omnibus horus sapit

Post #604734 Mon Sep 21 2020 6:01pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

I've had hankook ventus on mine since I bought it ( 7 years),, neverhad any issues and Wear rate seems to be as good as anything else,,, I don't drive like i stole it though Rolling with laughter 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #604736 Mon Sep 21 2020 7:00pm
Eskimo

Thanks all, think this one going to a bit of a tough choice. I guess I was hoping that all of them had been tried by folks on the forum to get some real world reviews rather than the usual Pistonheads reviews the everything not Goodyear/Conti will kill you in the most hideous manner imaginable.

Driving style is fairly quick but not on the ragged edge all the time, but spirited (as much as the 2.7 can manage Laughing ) when the feeling takes.

Mostly A road driving with some long M/way stuff thrown in for good measure. Good only knows what I'll end up with, however I will make sure it's Wanli widowmakers or LingLong LoveYouLongTimes Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 2006 RRS HSE 2.7 TDV6 (The Baby one as I keep being told)

Post #604738 Mon Sep 21 2020 8:46pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

I understand the cheaper Chinese ditchfinders have less rubber in them, flex more and hence wear on the shoulders. Apart from grip issues, if you drive "spiritedly" you will need to replace them much earlier than a better tyre so the saving may be less than you think.
I had Conti Sports on mine when I got it and they are (wrere?) notorious for shoulder wear, as did mine. I am trying Hankook Ventus ST RHo6's and so far so good (albeit I drive like Miss Daisy) at £140 a corner.

Post #604744 Tue Sep 22 2020 7:41am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: another tyre question for everyone

Eskimo wrote:

Nexen Roadian HP (my current tyres and a possible candidate)
Falken FK510 SUV XL
Cooper ZEON LTX
General Grabber AT3
Hankook Ventus RH06

I don't necessarily need an AT, but having the ability to get across wet grass without spinning the wheels and getting nowhere would be good. I have driven other 4x4 on ATs so understand the limitations of the on road manners etc.

Wet grass is just about the worst stuff for tyres to contend with and most will struggle to some degree, especially if there's any slope involved.

Of the tyres you've listed, the AT3 and the LTZ are what is considered to be an all-terrain tyre. The others aren't - they might carry the M + S marking but that's fairly meaningless really.

The LTZ isn't made anymore so if you buy that one, you're buying in to a diminishing stock pile and replacements might be tricky to find.

The AT3 is a good all round tyre. Works well as a road tyre, handles well, wears ok, I found it got a little bit "slippy" on wet tarmac as it wore down, however. Works well off road. Is also winter rated.

Worth remembering that you get what you pay for with tyres and that wear rates are often inversely proportional to grip levels. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #604747 Tue Sep 22 2020 8:21am
Drewlr4

United Kingdom 

Ive recently had a full set of AT3'S put on after chatting to the chap who runs our local land-rover outdoor experience center. I wanted something with some decent all round ability, living on the edge of Dartmoor and towing a trailer occasionally into fields.
He said the difference in his opinion between these and pure road tires was negligible, with the exception of those that push hard into bends might see them less competent because of the flex in the sidewalls.
Im very happy with them so far and not at all noisy i have a 255 55 20's and got all 4 fitted for £550 Thumbs Up

Post #604756 Tue Sep 22 2020 11:15am
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
would this be a good time to mention "Winter tyres" as well Laughing it is that time of year to put them on

think the list you have done only has the At3's that are 3SF winter rated.

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #604758 Tue Sep 22 2020 11:24am
Puslinch

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Firenze Red

I’m in Hankook Ventus, nice tyre and a decent price. 2018 Telsa MS
2012 Range Rover Sport HSE+
1990 Porsche 944
1985 LR 90 Soft top V8

Post #604759 Tue Sep 22 2020 11:25am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Drewlr4 wrote:
Ive recently had a full set of AT3'S put on after chatting to the chap who runs our local land-rover outdoor experience center. I wanted something with some decent all round ability, living on the edge of Dartmoor and towing a trailer occasionally into fields.
He said the difference in his opinion between these and pure road tires was negligible, with the exception of those that push hard into bends might see them less competent because of the flex in the sidewalls.
Im very happy with them so far and not at all noisy i have a 255 55 20's and got all 4 fitted for £550 Thumbs Up

I'd agree with that - the AT3 is very good on road and even when pushing on does a decent job of keeping its composure. It's a decent off road tyre provided one remembers that it's not intended for proper mud. As with all such tyres, wet grass on a slope can be "interesting". 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #604761 Tue Sep 22 2020 11:55am
Eskimo

Think I'm leaning towards the AT3s as it would give that slight advantage when needed.

Just trying to see if can get a decent price on either 275/45r20 or 275/45r20, but seems a little tricky getting the V rated. Loads of places have the H rated but not V.

Does anyone recommend going for the lower speed rating or is that a major no no? I would assume it is a no no....... 2006 RRS HSE 2.7 TDV6 (The Baby one as I keep being told)

Post #604787 Tue Sep 22 2020 10:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>