RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Drivers seat suddenly has limited range of forward/backward
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

aaronjb

United Kingdom 
Drivers seat suddenly has limited range of forward/backward

I've had a search around and I've seen plenty of posts where the seat stops moving completely, or one range of movement stops working completely (usually fuses, switches etc) but this is different..

My drivers seat works fine in every direction except forward & backward, where it suddenly has a limited range of motion of about 1" or so, right at the back of the range.. it still moves on the switch, still tries to recall the memory position, but only gets part way forward and then "click" - which sounds like a range limit switch clicking (microswitch?) or a relay clicking off.. and that's it.

I've had a look under there and I can't see anything stuck in the rails or obviously wrong with the lead screws (probably not what they're called but anyone who has run a lathe or mill will know what I mean Laughing ). Did find an obnoxiously sharp cable tie, though Big Cry

It's a problem because, as my Fiancee would say, I only have little legs Laughing Laughing

Any suggestions? I'm not even sure I can get the seat out as the rear bolts are probably trapped underneath it unless you move the seat right forward, no? 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #599030 Sun May 17 2020 11:27am
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

Well, that's strange - it's almost like it heard me post.. because I went back out to the car, bashed on the carpet behind the seat, tutted at it and .. it went all the way forward. (Bearing in mind it's been stuck for a week now, so I've had plenty of tries at "Just hold the button and see if it magically fixes itself already Laughing )

Buttons work, memory recall works again; perhaps there was something lodged that I couldn't see but just in case - does anyone know how the limits actually work? Is there a limit switch or does it just look at current consumption and assume a stalled motor is 'end of travel'?

Possible related - what's the little plastic gizmo (white & black wire) bolted to the back inner corner of the drivers seat frame? Because I gave that a good wiggle, too Laughing 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #599032 Sun May 17 2020 11:43am
idi

United Kingdom 

Are you me? Because I had this exact same issue 2 days ago and it started working again yesterday

Another thing I realised ws when it was in "not working" mode, the "Auto" function on the steering wheel didnt bring the driver seat back to usual position when starting the car and I had to do it manually

Post #599051 Sun May 17 2020 11:44pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

Laughing I don't think I'm you, but who can be sure?

I hadn't noticed the Auto setting working or not - partly because I was never entirely sure what that was meant to do! I really should re-read the manual about that.. I'm sure I read something about the wheel automatically retracting away when the door is opened (like my BMW does), but I've never noticed it do that, either.

Still, at least I can reach the pedals now Mr. Green 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #599089 Tue May 19 2020 2:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1