Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > AJV8 Engine Failures due to Timing Chain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver
AJV8 Engine Failures due to Timing Chain

Hi,

I thought we should list all AJV8 engine failures due to the timing chain here, so that we have some stats on this issue.

Ongoing lawsuit in the US
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/ja...fail.shtml

"A Jaguar Land Rover timing chain lawsuit alleges multiple models have timing chain systems that cause failures of the engines.

This proposed class-action involves 2012-2014 Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles equipped with 8-cylinder multi-valve 5-liter AJ-V8 Gen III engines.

2012-2014 Land Rover LR4
    2012-2014 Land Rover Range Rover Sport
    2012-2014 Land Rover Range Rover
    2012-2014 Jaguar XF
    2012-2014 Jaguar XJ
    2012-2014 Jaguar XK
    2012-2014 Jaguar XFR
    2012-2014 Jaguar XJR
    2012-2014 Jaguar XKR
    2012-2014 Jaguar F-Type

Failure of the timing chains allegedly causes the camshafts and crankshafts to go out of synchronization and lose power, or causes the pistons and valves to slam into each other.

A driver will likely hear noise caused by a loose or worn timing chain before it completely fails. And damage to the engine will cause acceleration and stalling problems, with the possibility of catastrophic engine failure as the valves hit the pistons.

The timing chains in the Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles can also allegedly suffer from too much slack in the chains from excessive wear to the chain sprockets.

According to the lawsuit, the timing chain tensioning rails, used to regulate the timing chain tension, are made with cast aluminum while the tensioner pistons are made of hardened steel. But the plaintiff says those rails are defective and fail prematurely, a problem the automaker knew about before the vehicles were sold.

The plaintiff claims there is a contact point between the piston-rail that causes a wear point in the tensioning rail that causes outward movement of the tensioner piston, as well as chain slack and the chain rattle heard by drivers.

The plaintiff says in addition to the cost and hassle of timing chain failures, there is a serious safety issue to deal with when a vehicle loses power steering and power brakes while driving.

The lawsuit also alleges that while the timing chains fail, the owner's manuals for the vehicles say nothing about inspecting the timing chains or performing maintenance on the chain assemblies because timing chains should last at least 150,000 miles.

In place of timing chains that last 150,000 miles, the lawsuit alleges the affected vehicles are equipped with chains that fail at less than 50 percent of their expected lifespans.

Plaintiff Schmidt alleges his vehicle started having problems at 80,000 miles, even though the timing chain was supposed to be "maintenance-free" for life. The plaintiff then references a Jaguar training publication called “NP10-V8JLR: AJ133 5.0-Liter DFI V8 Engine” that says:

“A maintenance-free highly durable chain transfers drive from the crankshaft to the camshafts, via the variable camshaft timing (VCT) units.”

Although the class-action lawsuit includes only the one named plaintiff, he claims some of the damaged engines cannot be repaired after the timing chain failures, costing owners more than $20,000 for new engines. In addition, customers have lost resale values as the public has learned about the timing chain defects.

Jaguar Land Rover has allegedly concealed the problems since 2011 when it allegedly redesigned the chain tensioner to alleviate the problem, but did all of that without telling consumers. The plaintiff further claims the automaker redesigned the primary chain, primary chain tensioner and primary chain guide/rails not once but multiple times to try to prevent engine failures.

The automaker sent technical service bulletins to dealerships between 2013 and 2015, and those bulletins are allegedly proof Jaguar Land Rover knew about the timing chain failures.

Mr. Schmidt admits his chain failure occurred outside the warranty period, but he claims Jaguar still should have reimbursed him or provided him a replacement vehicle.

The Jaguar Land Rover timing chain lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey - Robert Schmidt, et al., v. Jaguar Land Rover Automotive PLc, et al.

The plaintiff is represented by Kantrowitz, Goldhamer & Graifman, P.C., and Thomas P Sobran PC."

Possible Cause(s)

"JLR are well aware of this issue. That is why they are using 0w-20 oil now instead of 5w-20, the old trucks even say 5w-20 on the caps. A lower viscosity oil will flow faster than a heavier oil, especially when cold and it will quickly pressurize the hydraulic tensioner which will keep the chain tight and reduces wear and tear. "

"The primary problem isn't with the chain(s) - timing chains can typically be reused. The problem manifest itself within one or both of the chain TENSIONERS, which are oil pressure reliant. Extended manufacturer recommended oil service intervals, with the resulting "residue" often found within VVT's etc, is what appears to shorten the expected service life of such components."

*mods can we sticky this please?* --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Last edited by naks on Thu Apr 16 2020 11:11am. Edited 3 times in total

Post #597798 Thu Apr 16 2020 10:45am
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

seen here: https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/2015-r...re.341900/

L494, 42,000 miles, USA

Quote:
So I was coming home Friday evening and noticed an engine knock around 2500 RPM. By the time Ingot home and tried to back up truck into my driveway it started idle rough. Next morning called my mechanic and asked me to bring it in. As I was driving in the knocking got louder and it started shaking and died on me....

so I get a call from my mechanic yesterday and he’s telling me he took belt out the crank wouldn’t move ... he said pretty much the engine is locked and needs to be replaced now ... has anyone has this happened before? Truck only has 42k miles on it. ...

so engine is definitely shot!! The cause was time belt failure which damaged crankshaft and camshafts ... cost of replacing new engine is going to run me around 15k ... interesting enough is that instante is a law suit against Land Rover as they know it’s a known issue
 --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #597799 Thu Apr 16 2020 10:51am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Not the most intelligent thing to do, continue to drive a vehicle if the engine has started "knocking". Wouldn't have a lot of faith in "his" mechanic if he told him drive it either.

Cheers
Col

Post #597800 Thu Apr 16 2020 11:18am
ShooterNeil

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

My cars in for new chains now @ 91k
You will be surprised it’s not easy to here the rattle from in your car when you start up 99% of us still have the radio on 61 AB 5.0 supercharged rocket
07 HSE TDV8 with lots of toys EGR removed BAS remap
56 HSE WAS FULL OF PROBLEMS

Post #597928 Mon Apr 20 2020 3:17pm
Col

Don't know if anybody has the 5.0L Timing Chain Tensioner problem and fancy having a go at it themselves, but download these from "My Gallery" files 1 & 2 and have a look. Official L/R shortcut procedure. Laughing

[img]https://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/16610/Crankshaft%20Pulley.pdf[/img]

[img]https://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/16610/Timing%20Chain%20Tensioner%20Engine%20Set.pdf[/img]

Cheers
Col

Post #597987 Wed Apr 22 2020 6:26am
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

Long procedure, but honestly doesn't look that bad; and the instructions are so clear (in colour)!

Did the chain on the OHs MINI not so long ago and with crank locking pins and cam locks, it seemed so much easier (despite having to juggle the engine up & down on a jack to get at the tensioner slide pivot bolts) than doing the cambelt on an older design V6 (say the GM Y32SE or Nissan VG30DE) with fiddly sprocket locks and notches to line up.

This line made me chuckle, though:

Quote:
Do not smoke or carry lighted tobacco or open flame of
any type when working on or near any fuel related
components.

You'd think they wouldn't have to tell a main dealer mechanic that but, er.. I guess they know their audience? Mr. Green Laughing 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #597994 Wed Apr 22 2020 8:19am
ShooterNeil

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

The parts needed to do mine are around 900£ then you need the tools to lock it all down 350/400£
20 hours book time to do the job if you no what your doing
I have had a new water pump as it was leaking also an injector was stuck so another new part to the list 61 AB 5.0 supercharged rocket
07 HSE TDV8 with lots of toys EGR removed BAS remap
56 HSE WAS FULL OF PROBLEMS

Post #598057 Thu Apr 23 2020 3:20pm
Col

This one shows special tools needed to do the total job, except the handful of cable ties. Laughing

[img]https://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/16610/Timing%20Drive%20Components.pdf[/img]

Cheers
Col

Post #598075 Fri Apr 24 2020 12:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1