Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Insurance and modifying
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Rennywuk

United Kingdom 
Insurance and modifying

Hi

I was rear ended in my RRS1 last night. No one hurt and I’m hoping only my rear bumper needs replacing. The question is the car has an Arden body kit on it so will they try and replace it with a standard bumper and will they /can they refuse to do anything as I said the car was unmodified.

I possibly wrongly assumed the body kit was fitted from new as it also has Arden exhaust tips.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Post #595219 Thu Feb 20 2020 12:14am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I personally think the only people who can answer your question fully are the insurance companies involved, unless someone is a actual insurance claim/assessor it will be a pure personal opinion as to what the insurance company should or will not do, as you were rear ended I assume the other party was at fault so you might be lucky, otherwise if you need to claim on your own insurance you may have a battle as insurance companies are reluctant to pay out at the best of times without giving them a excuse even if it was unintentional. Again I wouldn't know but you might be able to compromise and pay the difference in price between the Arden bumper and the L/R one if the claim is approved, but again would depend on the insurance company involved I imagine. Hopefully they will just pay out.

Cheers
Col

Post #595220 Thu Feb 20 2020 12:40am
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

If it goes anything like when I was rear-ended in £4ks worth of Mini, if you call your insurance company the conversation will go like this:

Us: "Hi, yeah, we were rear ended - low speed, less than 10mph, just looks like some bent/broken plastic bumper pieces"
Them: "Well, given the age of the car we should just write it off now. Will you take £2k?"
Us: "But nobody has even seen it?"
Them: "Yes, but given the age of the car..." etc

It was a battle to get it repaired, not written off.

You are best off claiming directly against the third party insurers, if you have their details.
Avoid the third party accident management companies your insurers will try to punt you to at all costs (also personal experience, they were bloody useless!) 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #595223 Thu Feb 20 2020 7:52am
mrsammyp

United Kingdom 

If you were rear ended then liability is likely to stick to the third party insurer, in that case it may be worth trying to claim directly from them.

Post #595229 Thu Feb 20 2020 11:22am
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

I think mrsammyp gives the best advice, make your claim directly to the other cars insurer.
Having failed to disclose to your insurer that you have a modified car, you don't really want to stir up that hornets nest. I would be surprised if they didn't take a very dim view and refused to process your claim, they may even decide you owed them the premium they would have charged you had they been aware of the body kit.
Fortunately, the damage seems minor enough that it's still usable so time is on your side.
You may be wise to now declare the body kit to your insurers, just think about the situation if it had been your fault and it was written off.

Post #595244 Thu Feb 20 2020 3:18pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Even if you claim directly from the third party insurer, you will probably find in the small print of your own insurance you are required to notify them of any accident irrespective of blame. If you don't the other insurer may anyway and as everything is probably on a national insurance database these days, it may give you problems with future insurance for not disclosing the accident. Just don't give the insurance company any excuse not to pay put.

Cheers
Col

Post #595269 Thu Feb 20 2020 9:47pm
Oldandconfused

That goes without saying Col, it's one of the questions asked during renewal regardless of a claim on OP's own insurance. Same if you have a bump in a company car, it has to be disclosed. It gives them a chance to screw more money out of you even if it's costs them nothing.
I was under the impression that the OP was wondering what to do about his current position.

Post #595328 Fri Feb 21 2020 3:46pm
Rennywuk

United Kingdom 

The claim has been referred to the underwriters by the assessor engineers because the car has a body kit which I didn't (unintentionally) declare.

I’m now really worried they will refuse to pay (cost is £3,750 + vat.).

Gulp!

Post #595334 Fri Feb 21 2020 6:14pm
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

Even if the kit was fitted from new, it should be declared as the insurance companies ask if the vehicle is modified from manufactures specification. I’ve got Oversized wheels, a performance exhaust, cosmetic improvements and EBC pads declared on my insurance for £40 extra a year. They weren’t to bothered about the EBC pads but I told them I’d rather declare it than not. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #595875 Sun Mar 01 2020 9:11pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

If you’re claiming against a third party it’s irrelevant, they’ll have to pay to make you good. If you were calling on your own policy then your insurer could happily decline your claim. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #595893 Mon Mar 02 2020 2:22am
Brit Plumber

Insurers talk to each other, I will guarantee the 3rd party insurer will be looking to get out of paying up. The assessor already knows it’s not standard (from the above OP post) so they will try anything.

Not the same thing but I had an accident in 2003 which involved 6 vehicles. I ended up taking the blame as 4 of the 6 vehicles were insured with direct line and it was cheaper for them to just pay up rather than argue with the other insurers. The vehicle that hit me was uninsured and couldn’t be traced. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink

16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #595894 Mon Mar 02 2020 3:04am
ilard

United Kingdom 

If the other driver/insurer has accepted blame your claim will be honoured regardless. They cannot escape on a technicality I mean. It could be a solid gold bumper... the third party would have to pay to make you good if they have accepted liability. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #595896 Mon Mar 02 2020 3:14am
Brit Plumber

I wouldn’t say they have to honour it, they could turn around and say that as the modifications to the vehicle weren’t declared, the insurance was nul and void. Therefor the vehicle was uninsured and may chase the claimant for compensation to repair the 3rd party vehicle. I’m no lawyer, I’m just very wary of insurance companies and I hope the OP gets his car repaired. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink

Post #595897 Mon Mar 02 2020 4:02am
Oldandconfused

I would hope that ultimately, the third party insurance company will have to honour the claim against their driver if he accepts liability, similar to the OP being third party insured. They could however make it very hard for him and just say "OK, sue us" if he doesn't have the protection of his own insurance company. He may have to go to one of these companies that recover third party losses. Not sure what risks that entails as Iv'e never used one.

Post #595901 Mon Mar 02 2020 8:25am
Rennywuk

United Kingdom 

Just by way of an update: my insurers underwriters have asked me questions around did I know about the mods when I bought it. When was it added, how much did it cost etc. I have honestly said I didn’t know it was a modification. They will apparently pay and go after the other insurer for repayment. This is why I guess they want to be sure they can get full costs before approving repair.

So two weeks on and I’m still waiting to hear.

Post #595972 Tue Mar 03 2020 8:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>