RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > How to maintain your paintwork - stone chips
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
How to maintain your paintwork - stone chips

The bodywork on my RRS is in great condition. There aren't any dings or dents but there were some tiny stone chips which is to be expected for a 10 year old car.

Looking over some photos I had taken last summer, I thought I'd demonstrate how I went about sorting out a number of little stone chips and marks. This is a great job to do when the weather is warm outside to ensure the paint cures properly.

Depending on the state of your paintwork, it may be necessary to polish your car first to remove any swirl marks or scratches up front. This will help you identify the chips and marks that are in need of paint.

For me, tiny chips were especially apparent along the front edge of the bonnet...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Step 1 - Identify all of the little imperfections and mark them with some masking tape...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Step 2 - Remove the letters from the bonnet if required. You can buy a new set cheap enough online with a template to obtain the correct position. I used a hairdryer to warm the area, which melts the glue and they then just come right off. Afterwards, remove any glue residue with panel wipe or something similar.

Click image to enlarge

Step 2 - Prep the chips. Lightly rub down each of the chips to get rid of the tiny jagged edges that are created at the point of impact between the stone and the paintwork. I would recommend using something like a 1500 grit or a 2000 grit wet paper for this. Then, clean each of the chips using panel wipe or isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud to degrease in preparation for paint.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Step 3 - Apply the paint with a fine tipped brush. It is important to 'blob' the paint on. It should form a dome that protrudes further than the surface around it.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Step 4 - Leave to cure fully for at least 24 hours in the warm. This is why I recommend doing this job in the summer, when the panels are warm.

Step 5 - Rub down each of the blobs with a 2000 grit wet paper to level them off.

Click image to enlarge

Step 6 - Use some rubbing compound on a cloth to polish up the areas sanded down with the wet and dry paper.

Click image to enlarge

Step 7 - Admire how the chips have disappeared and give yourself a pat on the back. Promise yourself a beer when the job is finished because you deserve it.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Step 8 - If you removed the letters from the bonnet, position and fix the template for the new letters to the bonnet. I used masking tape to get the correct position for the template.

Click image to enlarge

Step 9 - Affix your new letters to the bonnet within the template

Click image to enlarge

Step 10 - If you feel the need to, seal your paintwork with your choice of sealant or wax. For me, it has to be Autoglym Liquid Hardwax which is the old trade version of Extra Gloss Protection. You can't buy it any more, but I used an old bottle I've had for about 10 years but still performs great, and lasts forever because you only use a tiny amount.

Click image to enlarge

Step 11 - Sit back and enjoy that beer you promised yourself in Step 7

Click image to enlarge

And here she was all tidied up and on the ferry the next day en route to France taking us on our summer holiday with not a mark or chip in sight...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I hope this helps someone who wants to sort out their chips Thumbs Up Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #594888 Sat Feb 15 2020 11:00am
Lyonhead

Wales 

Kev,

Car looks great Thumbs Up Have you ever considered PPF applied to the front of the car as well.

I had it fitted just after I bought my new car and I took it in for a routine check and after doing a number of drives Cardiff to Edinburgh and back ( I swear we had all 4 seasons in one day on one trip) and trips to Ireland there was NO marks whatsoever.

It would be great to have it applied after all that work you have done to the front end.

Great job you’ve done there Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Watching from the Full Fat RR Forum
19MY RR SVA-Dynamic Spectral Chromoflair Blue
2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue-Gone
2010 RRS 5.0 L Supercharged Navara Bronze-Gone
2008 RRS 4.2 L Supercharged Black-Gone
2006 RRS 2.7 Diesel Rimini Red-gone

Post #594895 Sat Feb 15 2020 11:43am
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Lyonhead - what is PPF?

Kev that’s a great write up and having the confidence to do this to an expensive vehicle Bow down .

Strangely my stone chips are all on the OS quarter of the front bumper, nothing on the NS!. I use Autyglym Ultra HD wax and it’s a bit of a discovery (no pun intended) I only apply it once a year and wash as required.

Thanks for the links I’ll give this a try when it warms up a bit, certainly not this weekend.

Steve. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #594899 Sat Feb 15 2020 12:13pm
Lyonhead

Wales 

Steve,

PPF- Plastic Protective Film

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Watching from the Full Fat RR Forum

Post #594900 Sat Feb 15 2020 12:17pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Good post Kev but I let my local chipsaway guy do mine while I skip straight to step 7 Thumbs Up Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #594905 Sat Feb 15 2020 1:47pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Must say, I was alarmed when I saw all these blobs of paint, but you did a first class job Thumbs Up

Post #594906 Sat Feb 15 2020 1:54pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Nice walk through Kev - well done Thumbs Up Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #594908 Sat Feb 15 2020 2:44pm
knwatkins

I'm glad you guys approve of the method. It worked for me so I thought I had may as well share it.

Lyonhead, I have not necessarily thought about paint protection film for my own vehicle, but I have wondered how it holds up over time eg. could it scratch/snag? My concern would be that you can polish out scratches to a laquer over basecoat finish, but you can't do that with a film. Kev

Post #594911 Sat Feb 15 2020 4:19pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I reckon those photos on the ferry were taken in 2010 Laughing

Seriously, it looks amazing. How many hours work all in all? L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #594912 Sat Feb 15 2020 4:30pm
Lyonhead

Wales 

Lyonhead, I have not necessarily thought about paint protection film for my own vehicle, but I have wondered how it holds up over time eg. could it scratch/snag? My concern would be that you can polish out scratches to a laquer over basecoat finish, but you can't do that with a film.[/quote]

Hi Kev,

The detailer who fitted it for me says it has a guarantee, when it is scratched ( not happened on mine by the way) the scratch can be removed by applying heat and wiping with a cloth 🤷‍♂️, allegedly, also if there is any snags, to be honest some of it had lifted on an edge on the headlight washers, it was replaced under the guarantee. Thumbs Up
To be honest I thought it essential as I have the SVO Chromoflair paint on the car and would be a nightmare to sort a paint chip out Whistle Whistle Watching from the Full Fat RR Forum

Post #594913 Sat Feb 15 2020 4:39pm
knwatkins

ilard wrote:
I reckon those photos on the ferry were taken in 2010 Laughing

Seriously, it looks amazing. How many hours work all in all?

Laughing I can assure you it was not 2010. I can't remember how many hours to be honest because it was last summer. Maybe 4 or 5, something like that I would imagine.

Lyonhead wrote:
The detailer who fitted it for me says it has a guarantee, when it is scratched ( not happened on mine by the way) the scratch can be removed by applying heat and wiping with a cloth 🤷‍♂️, allegedly, also if there is any snags, to be honest some of it had lifted on an edge on the headlight washers, it was replaced under the guarantee. Thumbs Up
To be honest I thought it essential as I have the SVO Chromoflair paint on the car and would be a nightmare to sort a paint chip out Whistle Whistle

Sounds like you have a good guarantee on it Thumbs Up I bet it adds a good bit of protection and definately something to think about. Kev

Post #594932 Sat Feb 15 2020 9:53pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I fitted one of these and went straight to step 11. Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Cheers
Col

Post #594942 Sat Feb 15 2020 11:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1