RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Zf auto box symptoms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Warlowg

United Kingdom 
Zf auto box symptoms

Does anyone know the symptoms if the Zf auto box in a rrs 2005 2.7 needs a oil change

Post #600570 Sat Jun 20 2020 1:32pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The oil will need changing if it hasn't already been done on a 2005 car, is the simple answer. LR say it's ok for 150k miles but the manufacturer reckons less than half that at 50-75k miles or 8 years whichever is sooner.

There are no specific symptoms that the oil needs changing but there are symptoms that it has corrupted the torque converter lock up clutch. The usual symptom is a juddering under load - the so-called cattle grid effect.

The best way to change the oil is a "mega flush" where the transmission's oil cooler pipes are re-routed to connect to a machine that replaces all of the oil. The usual LR method of draining the oil from the drain plug doesn't get much oil out as most is held in the torque converter. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #600583 Sat Jun 20 2020 6:39pm
lkdgndg1

ZF gearbox oil change

I notice that your in Northamptonshire, can you tell me where I can get my RRS gearbox oil changed as I’m I northants as well ,thanks

Post #609330 Thu Jan 28 2021 10:41pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I use an independent garage down near Oxford as I do a lot of work down that way so it suits me to be able to drop it off and pick it up from them.

https://www.james-french.co.uk/

From Northampton, it's not a bad run down to them if you can't find anyone nearer. A43, M40, A34, A40, a short bit of local roads. About an hour.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/52.22262...!3e0?hl=en

Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #609342 Fri Jan 29 2021 1:57pm
H

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Try Ric he is brilliant with rrs ,and his prices are good.His garage is off Washbrook Road Rushden,turn left at the disabled shop,he’s on the right good luck Chris

Post #609343 Fri Jan 29 2021 2:05pm
lkdgndg1

Ok thanks for that .

Post #609354 Fri Jan 29 2021 9:55pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

RRSTDV8 wrote:
The usual LR method of draining the oil from the drain plug doesn't get much oil out as most is held in the torque converter.

I recently attended a Lubrication Appreciation course for my work, it was nearly as boring as it sounds but there was quite a few interesting bits I took away from it. One being that a partial oil change can have a huge positive impact on the oil quality, it's to do with refreshing the additive pack, the filter should be rated to ensure the floating particle size is kept below the damaging size....apparently. While a full flush is obviously the better choice I don't think we should be so quick to dismiss the partial change.
The course covered industrial engines, gearboxes, pumps etc. so several maintenance methods were discussed of which one method is the partial change, obviously contaminant particle size was the biggest concern which unless there was serious failure going on then the worst and most under appreciated thing was external contamination from the actual oil change - ever done or seen someone just wipe the filler with a dirty rag then use it to pour in oil? An example given was a lump of dirt the size of an aspirin tablet put in a 45 gallon oil drum is likely to cause 60% faster bearing wear.

Also the supposedly better way of changing engine oil by suction tube just disgusted the instructor, he said it was just a way for garages to get it done faster for more profits with little regard for getting the actual dirt out which which was best by the old fashioned drain plug, which had to be done as soon as possible after the engine was shut down to prevent contaminant settling.

Now I'm sure there are likely to be experts on here who disagree with the above (as I previously likely would have) but the instructor really was an expert who said he was contracted by some car manufacturers to give advice on what oil and filter spec to use in their engines and gearboxes..... 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #609361 Fri Jan 29 2021 11:49pm
Themoog

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Rimini Red

When I did my X5 transmission service I did it twice within a week. First one was drain and filter replacement and the second was just drain and refill.
Before the service it was juddering like crazy and skipping in and out of drive when cruising at 40- 60mph. The car had done 150k at that time.
It's been fine since and that was 5 years ago.

Post #609369 Sat Jan 30 2021 9:22am
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

insiorc wrote:
I recently attended a Lubrication Appreciation course for my work, ....

What ever you do Dont let Work see this thread, Shocked

they will realize just how much you have absorbed and taken away from the course and get you booked in on some more Laughing

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #609374 Sat Jan 30 2021 1:58pm
lkdgndg1

Gearbox oil change

I’m all for doing it myself but found that I’m getting a bit lazy these days , I’ve carried out full engine rebuilds and auto box rebuilds in the past plus looking after all of our cars for many years, but not so much now that I’ve just retired from fixing very large aeroplanes, but I might just look at doing this when the weather clears up .

Post #609383 Sat Jan 30 2021 10:26pm
Duc750

United Kingdom 

Ian Bodsworth is fairly regularly round these parts and can do a mega flush for you 2012 SDV6 HSE (technically its hers)
2000 D2 TD5 - definitely mine
2005 D3 V8
Metalian Camper trailer for adventures

Post #609384 Sat Jan 30 2021 10:29pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

riverblanche wrote:
insiorc wrote:
I recently attended a Lubrication Appreciation course for my work, ....

What ever you do Dont let Work see this thread, Shocked

they will realize just how much you have absorbed and taken away from the course and get you booked in on some more Laughing

Thumbs Up

A very good point Laughing The topic was limited in benefit to what I do at work, I was there just to make up numbers as it was a set price regardless of numbers attending so I really only paid attention to what I thought relevant for my personal life with vehicles and old tractors Rolling with laughter

P.s. anybody here always leave a blob of grease on the grease nipple after greasing, or always fit a new/clean one for the actual grease pumping? It was scarey the damage caused to a bearing etc. when pumping a spec of rust through from a 'cleaned' rusty grease nipple. Whistle 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #609386 Sat Jan 30 2021 10:48pm
Fantom Sport

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

My 06 2.7 is also suffering from cattle grid effect. It only seems to occur once the grearbox has warmed up (the first 5 minutes of driving it doesn't happen). I've tried putting the cruise control on at 43-45mph and the rev counter appears steady. Has anyone used Avenger 4x4 or Planet Gears in Peterborough? The cars done 128 k with no history. For obvious reasons I don't want to be pushed down the gearbox / torq converter rebuild route when a simple oil change would do. The cars not worth a Kings ransom and would like a truthful diagnoses.

Post #612022 Sun Mar 28 2021 12:50pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

[quote="insiorc"]

RRSTDV8 wrote:
One being that a partial oil change can have a huge positive impact on the oil quality, it's to do with refreshing the additive pack, the filter should be rated to ensure the floating particle size is kept below the damaging size....apparently. While a full flush is obviously the better choice I don't think we should be so quick to dismiss the partial change.

A partial change shouldn't be dismissed, but it needs to be done more frequently than a full flush

Post #612028 Sun Mar 28 2021 2:22pm
Fantom Sport

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I have just had a FULL flush carried out on my gearbox at RJ Land Rover in Sawtry and it fixed the 'cattle grid' rumbling 100%. I was very pleased with their honesty and service. It took about 5 hours whilst I wait. It cost £660, however this seems alot cheaper than a full torque converter / gearbox rebuild. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts. The only thing to note is that I had been proactive in getting it fixed and I would imagine that many people would have just carried on driving for a lot longer.

Post #612607 Tue Apr 13 2021 3:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>