Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > P400e Loan Car Thoughts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black
P400e Loan Car Thoughts

Hi Guys,

Am in an HSE Dynamic P400e PHEV so thought I'd note some thoughts!

The auto-hold brake is really annoying!! Does anyone know how to disable it?

First time Ive had an RRS on 20" wheels - the ride is a lot softer - although they don't look as good in my eyes as 21s/22s.

The extra weight is noticeable - and thats coming from someone who's had SDV8s and SCV8s !!

The brake pedal feel really catches you out as sometimes its firm and other times its very soft for the regenerative breaking, really have to leave space in London as you don't know what its going to do next!

Doesn't have a charging from the engine option like the Volvos I've owned, apparently it always charges enough to keep some power available but you can't manually charge up the engine, which I guess is fine.

Pull away isn't that smooth - I'm guessing its partially due to the auto-hold function.

I can see this being very economical if you charge it every day or even more, but with zero charge in the car (collected it like that) I'm not getting good economy at all - barely breaking 20mpg !!! I get mid teens on the 5 litre!!

Overall I'm enjoying the experience and will continue to evaluate it over the coming days, but all in all not sure PHEV is right for me yet.

On another note, really liking the HSE Dynamic trim - normally always get AB but next car would definitely consider an HSE Dynamic at the right price! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #591932 Mon Dec 16 2019 7:50pm
Renaco

Germany 

If you want to load around 20% while driving, switch to sand mode and deactivate HDC.
Then it re-loads while driven around 10 minutes...

Best
René 2012 RRS HSE SDV6, BOURNVILLE 12/12-10/14
2015 RRS DYNAMIC HYBRID, CAUSEWAY GREY 1/15-7/18
2018 RRS DYNAMIC P400e, BRITISH RACING GREEN 8/18-8/19
2019 RRS DYNAMIC P525, SILICON SILVER 8/19-

Post #591944 Tue Dec 17 2019 5:49am
DangerMouseUK

Ah cool! Didn't know that.

I think the erratic EPB and surging/dodgy brake is due to some weird thing the PHEV model does when it thinks a door is open or something, basically think the car has a fault somewhere lol. Non JLR Vehicle

Post #591964 Tue Dec 17 2019 4:21pm
Renaco

Germany 

I didn’t know that Auto hold brake is available for the RRS.
My P400e didn’t have it, maybe a new update? 2012 RRS HSE SDV6, BOURNVILLE 12/12-10/14
2015 RRS DYNAMIC HYBRID, CAUSEWAY GREY 1/15-7/18
2018 RRS DYNAMIC P400e, BRITISH RACING GREEN 8/18-8/19
2019 RRS DYNAMIC P525, SILICON SILVER 8/19-

Post #591978 Tue Dec 17 2019 7:39pm
Ratkat

United Kingdom 

Could be the seatbelt sensor playing up, according to the manual it is a safety feature:

Plug-in Hybrid Vehicles (PHEVs) only
To protect against unintentional vehicle movement, the EPB is automatically applied when the driver is detected to be exiting the vehicle. The EPB is applied when Drive (D), Sport (S) or Reverse (R) is selected and all the following conditions exist:
The vehicle is stationary.
The driver's seat belt is unfastened or the driver's door is open.
The brake pedal is released.
The EPB drive-away feature operates if:
The EPB is applied.
The engine is running.
A forward or reverse gear is selected.
The driver's seat belt is fastened or the driver's door is closed.*
The accelerator pedal is pressed.
* If it is believed that the driver has left the vehicle, only the driver's seat belt is monitored. MY19 RRS Autobiography Dynamic 3.0 sdv6, Carpathian Grey, black pan roof, black pack, black 22’s, black side steps, ebony/ebony interior
—————
2019 Westfield FW Special Edition, fully loaded 180bhp
—————
MY18 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine R-Design Pro, fully loaded, Polestar (404 Bhp) - GONE
—————
MY16 RRS Autobiography Dynamic, Firenze red, black pan roof, satin black 507's with satin black stealth pack, ebony and ivory interior. GONE

Post #591992 Wed Dec 18 2019 8:31am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Surprising that there is so little energy regen from driving with e P400e - on a 60 mile motorway run From home to Edinburgh I can add 18 miles charge (that’s nearly a fully HV battery load) to the battery in the Countryman PHEV just recovering wasted engine energy on down hill stretches and through light braking. If I use S mode for gear changes the regen is even more effective but I’ve only ever tried Spirt mode once and it’s unnecessary in a car that will do 0-60 in 6 seconds in D anyway 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #592011 Wed Dec 18 2019 1:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cunny678

I have had mine three months now and the average over 3000 miles is 47 MPG. I can get about 15 miles all electric range which covers most of my drives at the weekend. During my weekday commute its 34 miles round trip, mainly slowish mortorway, with no charging at the office and I probably average about 50mpg.

I did a longer trip to North Wales last month (approx 80 miles on return leg) with no charge. Averaging about 70mph with two passengers I averaged 31mpg. Ive not been using Eco mode which I guess would help with economy as I am happy with the mpg I get.

P400E was a no brainer for me as I lease it though my busiess and the lease at the time was about £100pm cheaper than the diesel. Also, love the preheating of the car on these cold mornings Smile

Driving in electric only mode lifts the car to another level its that quiet.

Post #592012 Wed Dec 18 2019 2:40pm
DangerMouseUK

Yes I've fixed the sensor issue with a bit of yanking and tugging so I remove my comments about the EPB and weird brakes now they just feel like normal regenerative brakes which is fine.

Apparently it always keeps enough charge in the battery to run the electric motors but there isn't a Charge button like you have on the Volvo hybrids, which I found a bit weird, wouldn't have cost them anything to add one to the My EV screen, oh well!

Loving the ride on the 20" wheels so much, just don't like the look of them so thats torn me!

Its a bit jerky/surge-y in town, you have to have much more controlled throttle responses but again don't mind that.

Would definitely take a car in HSE Dynamic trim the next time I come round to swapping, I think the interior is actually more durable than in an AB!!!

Overall liking it but whilst I can only charge (and slowly) at work and there are no chargers at home the PHEV still makes no sense for me, especially if I don't get the charger space at work.

Still liking the experience!! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #592026 Wed Dec 18 2019 7:37pm
sbradleyrr

United Kingdom 

when the battery is depleted whilst running it in normal (Parallel) mode, how much is the performance affected?

Post #592091 Thu Dec 19 2019 6:09pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Generally, the battery is never depleted, so performance is always there, as is EV pull away. 0% doesn’t mean 0%.

Harry just released this today. 68 plate, not sure it can be a MY2020, but whatever. Always entertaining, and I would say I agree with everything he is saying here based on my very limited time with my P400e.

L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #592108 Thu Dec 19 2019 10:43pm
sbradleyrr

United Kingdom 

Harry is Brilliant. his channel is what the Broadcast car shows should be. His farming channel is also brilliant even for those of us with no interest whatsoever in farming, his way of broadcasting the information is addictive.

I'm interested in his views on the F-Pace in the new year as when the next Sport in released it will undoubtedly be specced with the same motors and batteries. I'm totally an ev if one comes along that has Tesla range, with a range rover's soul, usability and styling and German build quality. Fantasy land at the minute i'm afraid.

Post #592111 Fri Dec 20 2019 3:41am
DangerMouseUK

Yep good video of the car.

Apparently it never lets the battery go down.

I'm currently doing 28mpg and I'm charging it every day so I must be doing something wrong !!!

Overall its a nice loan car but I'll be happy when my one comes back !

Will be interested to see if they put the I6 in the next one which is what I've heard might happen . . . Non JLR Vehicle

Post #592143 Sat Dec 21 2019 12:46am
DangerMouseUK

Also if you're not charging much it and not being feather light with the throttle, you're getting high teens in Central London MPG wise - ironically roughly what you'd get when you didn't charge an XC60 T8 or XC90 T8 !!

Still an interesting car to have on loan though! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #592312 Tue Dec 24 2019 2:12am
ilard

United Kingdom 

Just got back from Bond Street... SAVE mode, stop start disabled for first 15 mins or so, got this:
33 min journey
12.0 mph avg speed
5.6 mi total distance
0.8 mi EV distance
14.5 mpg

I am congestion charge and ULEZ exempt. My residents parking permit in N6 is £21.00 per annum.

For comparison, the journey there was:
31 min
12.0 mph
5.7 mi
5.6 mi
250+ mpg (it used 50% of my battery, and I don’t remember the petrol kicking in).

I don’t care about fuel economy, I am a very low mileage driver so it has no noticeable affect on my budget. The wafting on EV is brilliant. The stop start experience in normal hybrid mode is far superior to a petrol-only stop start experience, much less intrusion. The performance is frankly brilliant, this thing is rapid for a roly-poly barge, and motorway performance is magic. I thoroughly recommend the P400e fatty (I’ve not driven the Sport P400e). L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #592373 Thu Dec 26 2019 4:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1