RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Modiying ccf file to show warning when dpf is regen..can it
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Ash3

United Kingdom 
Modiying ccf file to show warning when dpf is regen..can it

Evening All,

Now this might have been covered somewhere already.

Was just thinking about DPF issues and failed regeneration of dpf leading to other issues. As you all know a failed active dpf regen is often as a result engine being switched off before the regen cycle has been completed.

Also as many of you will know there is nothing in the car that signals a dpf regen is taking place which would if there was would let the driver know that a dpf regen is taking place and therefore do not switch engine off until it has been completed.

What I want to know is there no diagnostic tool available that can be plugged into the obd port while driving or even remain plugged in all the time, which can be set up to indicated a dpf regen is taking place.

If not why not? Surely it is not too difficult to design a simple diagnostic tool to interface with the ecu or relevant module.

Or modify the ccf file to use existing comms architecture to use say display a message on drivers screen or infotainment screen?

I am guessing it is not a major edit of the ccf and the existing comms infrastructure can be utilised...

Would be massive help and avoid failed regens of dpf and the associated effects that go with it.

It is something that I want to explore.....perhaps we can set up a group with the right knowledge and skill set to develop.

Post #591787 Wed Dec 11 2019 11:49pm
scarey

have a look on the fullfat forum, especially in the L322 section..loads of info there re dpf..

Post #591802 Thu Dec 12 2019 11:12am
Ash3

United Kingdom 

Thanks scary

Post #591809 Thu Dec 12 2019 2:49pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

You can tell when a DPF regen is happening if you are in tune with your engine and exhaust note. You will notice that it will sound more throaty due to the extra fuel being injected. Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #591824 Fri Dec 13 2019 12:05am
scarey

Laughing what if you have the radio on , you wont hear anything...

Post #591832 Fri Dec 13 2019 8:14am
Ash3

United Kingdom 

Lol ..exactly...cant be driving around with radio turned off just so I can keep an ear on the engine note...

Post #591836 Fri Dec 13 2019 9:33am
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I prefer to listen to my car over the crap that gets broadcast on the radio, but that's just me Whistle

As you suggested in your first post, you want to keep the engine running if you car is performing an auto regen. I'm sure before you switch your engine off, you can switch your radio off a couple of seconds before. There isn't a need to drive around without the radio on all of the time, listening to the engine constantly if you're only interested about what is happening at the point you are about to switch your engine off is there Wink

Good luck with your project Thumbs Up Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Last edited by knwatkins on Sat Dec 14 2019 4:20pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #591839 Fri Dec 13 2019 4:41pm
HughN

Wales 

The standard OBD2 parameters contain parameter 44 ("Commanded EGR") but I don't know if this is actually used by LR (use is not mandatory); the fuel:air ratio (lambda) might be a proxy indication, as might exhaust gas temperature. I've done a couple of DIY-based OBD projects in the past using the ELM327 chip to do the heavy-lifting. It might even be possible to establish a BlueTooth™ link with one of the £4 Chinese OBD interface boxes using some sort of microcontroller (I don't know if the datastream is presented simply). All of these seem a bit of overkill and disproportionate to the impact of an event with a low probability of occurrence - what percentage of a car's running time is with a regen occurring? Small impact x low likelihood = not a massive problem in my book.

To be really useful, a warning would only be generated if it knew your intention to switch off the ignition and warned you not to - otherwise, it relies on you checking some sort of indication that would in any case be showing on a regular basis. How would anything know you were about to switch off the ignition?

I''m not sure how the CCF would come into it - isn't it just a set of definitions, not an executable/code?

If this was something to worry about, surely someone, somewhere, would have implemented it as a factory-fitted feature: I'm not aware of any doing so. Buying an OBD tool that can command a regen and then going for a monthly run down a dual-carriageway in a low gear might be a better means of re-assurance - a cleaner DPF is going to be even less affected by an interrupted regen.

Personally, I wouldn't want a car with an engine shutdown procedure that needed a checklist and a co-pilot: "let the engine idle for three minutes for the turbos to cool" - "check!"; "check if a regen was happening" - "check!", etc.,

Post #591873 Sat Dec 14 2019 4:09pm
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Buying an OBD tool that can command a regen and then going for a monthly run down a dual-carriageway in a low gear might be a better means of re-assurance - a cleaner DPF is going to be even less affected by an interrupted regen.

Yes that would be really useful.

Some time ago I asked GAP if they would implement it in their tool and it was said that it might be possible but they were working on more urgent things at the moment.
That was probably a couple of years ago. '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #591893 Sun Dec 15 2019 9:01am
DrRob

United Kingdom 

The IID will show exhaust temps and soot mass and shows when former rises and latter lowers.
Lots on full fat forum. Search DPF or user GGDR Thumbs Up Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #591894 Sun Dec 15 2019 9:12am
Ash3

United Kingdom 

Thanks DrRob

Will definitely read up on that. Thumbs Up

Post #591906 Sun Dec 15 2019 8:09pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

"If this was something to worry about, surely someone, somewhere, would have implemented it as a factory-fitted feature":

I'm pretty confident that no vehicle manufacturer is going to shout about your car pumping diesel fuel into the engine oil on a regular basis. Look how long it took JLR to admit that oil dilution was actually occurring (short journeys, fit for purpose? Of course Sir, just give us your money).
I can see the utility in a driver being made aware that a regen is ongoing, maybe by a information message on the dash, so that a choice can be made whether to switch off and abort it or continue the journey.
This is one of the reasons I didn't even bother looking at DPF equipped cars when looking for mine.

Post #591918 Mon Dec 16 2019 11:32am
Ash3

United Kingdom 

Thats exactly my thoughts...car manufactuers will not admit to design faults...and this is a design fault...I would rather know my car is doing regen by means of a message on drivets screen etc...rather than risk oil dilution from failed regens which is what I am angling for.

Post #591940 Mon Dec 16 2019 10:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1