RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > P400e charging problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

laurencebell

United Kingdom 
P400e charging problem

I have a RRS P400e which is 3 months old which in the last month has developed a charging problem. When there is roughly between 20-25 mins left to charge, the car will just stop charging. The land rover remote app and the display in the vehicle say the vehicle is charging but it's not, it has stopped. About every 30 seconds the charger will flick on for a couple of seconds and then flick off. This will just do this indefinatly until the charge cable is unplugged, the app will say there is about 20 mins left to charge indefinatly until it is unplugged. I have used different charge stations, 2 different charging leads and the home charger and it has the same issue. It was at the land rover garage last week and they were not sure what the problem is and had never heard of that problem, they thought it may be a software issue. They re-installed the software and obviously didn't check whether this had resolved the issue and gave the car back. The next day when I charged the vehicle it still had the same problem. I have now had to re-book my car into land rover again. Just wondered if anyone has come across this issue and what the problem might be to get this resolved. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Post #591686 Mon Dec 09 2019 10:17pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I've had this too, where it seems stuck at 99% (I did not bother look at what the charging light activity was doing). And yet today, plugged in at a garage for Gtechniq treatment, using the 3 pain plus, it has hit 100%. So I am wondering if it relates to the quality of the electricity supply. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #591727 Tue Dec 10 2019 7:11pm
laurencebell

United Kingdom 

Hi ilard thanks for the reply. Do you mean it was plugged in with the 3 pin plug charger that plugs into a domestic socket?
It has been plugged into different charging stations and using the 3 pin plug but still has the same issue. It even had this issue when it was plugged in at Land Rover so they could see it was happening but didn’t know what was causing it. I think they were just convinced it was a software issue, re-installed the software and just gave me the car back.

Post #591732 Tue Dec 10 2019 8:05pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Yes, sorry, I realise my iPhone typed response was garbled!

At home I have found it gets to 99% using the 3 pin charging cable. But the other day using the same cable at a garage it got to 100%. It was also at 100% the day I collected it from the LR dealer, also plugged into a 3 pin. From 100% it drops pretty quickly to 99% (unlike, say, an iPhone which will tay at 100% for yonks, which I suppose logically is incorrect). L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #591931 Mon Dec 16 2019 7:15pm
Garry

United Kingdom 

The vast majority of the time mine shows 100% at full charge. I have had 99% a couple of times. I feel in 10 years I will look back and recognise my part in the development of RRS EV - especially the software! 2018/68 RRS PHEV - Indus (sold)
2008 RRS Tdv8
1995 Discovery diesel.
Lots of other non Land Rover cars.

Post #592168 Sat Dec 21 2019 2:36pm
Steve Ben

United Kingdom 

Did anyone solve this problem?

I have the same issue, the charge is fine until 99% and then the charger goes into fault mode. When it does this it also trips the electric in the house.

I have had Land Rover out to see the car and they cannot see any faults but will not comment on the charger as they know nothing about them. I had the electrics in the garage checked and they are fine and pulling up to 45amps.

I wanted to borrow a charger from Inchcape Preston but they won't lend me one and will not see the car until 11th February.

Post #592392 Fri Dec 27 2019 11:55am
laurencebell

United Kingdom 

Hi
Mines not booked into LR until the middle of Jan but still has the same issue. My charger doesn’t go into fault mode though, the car will just stop charging & will keep trying to charge it about every 30 seconds but it just flicks on for a couple of seconds & stops. This will just keep repeating this until I unplug it. I did notice today that when the charger does flick on there is like a knock knock noise I assume coming from the battery, then it just flicks off.

Post #592469 Sat Dec 28 2019 9:00pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

Mine shows 99% and “Fully charged” status. Weird. I view this as more of a software fault than anything else and I am not concerned and will not be bothering to take it into the dealer. I may mention it when I get it serviced. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #592485 Sat Dec 28 2019 11:28pm
Steve Ben

United Kingdom 

I can cope with the 99% charge, that doesn't really bother me. It's the moving into fault mode that's the problem as it trips the electric and then wants to stay in fault mode for a couple of days even though it's not plugged into the car. After a couple of days the charger resets itself and works normally until it reaches 99% charge again.

If they lent me a charger we could establish if it is the car or charger at fault but they won't do that for some reason.

Post #592489 Sun Dec 29 2019 9:48am
ilard

United Kingdom 

How old is your wiring and your consumer unit? I’d be more likely to blame that for this fault than the charging unit or the car. Given they won’t lend you a cable, could you trying plugging in elsewhere to see if the fault occurs? L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #592498 Sun Dec 29 2019 11:37am
Steve Ben

United Kingdom 

The electrics have been checked, by an electrician and are working fine. The house is about 20 years old so not old in the scheme of things and I have never had a problem with them in the last 15 years.

I have just returned home after a day out. The charger was unplugged from the car last night at around 7pm but stayed plugged into the garage and was fine this morning. Now it is in fault mode without going anywhere near the car. I can't see how it can be anything but a charger problem.

Land Rover corporate is on the case now so hopefully, we will get somewhere.

Post #592537 Mon Dec 30 2019 4:58pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

You could well be right. Your case, when told to the dealer, would be strongest if you could explain you have tried another power source for your charger and that it also failed there. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #592542 Mon Dec 30 2019 6:06pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I had a similar issue with my Countryman’s first granny charger for the home mains 3 pin plug unit, BMW / Mini and JLR use the same manufacturer of these units and my Mini dealer told me that there was an issue with some of the earlier units and changed mine under warranty without question when I took the faulty unit in ( I couldn’t charge th car at all at home). In the 15 months since changing it for the updated version I haven’t had any fault warnings/ lights and the car has always charged fine on the domestic socket 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #592550 Mon Dec 30 2019 11:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Michael997

United Kingdom 

My car stops charging at around 97/98/99% regarding of where it is charged or what type of charger, dealer still trying to fix it

Michael
2013 RRS diesel Autobiography Dynamic

Post #594578 Sun Feb 09 2020 9:25am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ilard

United Kingdom 

I get this regularly. I now have a 7W 32A charger at home. Sometimes it goes to 100% after 6 to 8 hours, having been on 99% for hours. Often it sticks at 99% before I decide to disconnect after a few hours. If I am paying attention, I sometimes notice it says "Charge Complete, 21 mi, 99%"

So I will watch this thread with interest.

I have no issues with tripping electrics, either on 3 pin or 7W Type 2. I will document my 7W charger set up another time.

On the 7W charger, it charges to 80% real quick (90 mins? I must time it some time), and then the last 19% or 20% is fairly slow. I understand this aspect is normal. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #594650 Mon Feb 10 2020 5:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>