RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > Great vehicle but a few design faults...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

AlanM

Canada 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zambezi Silver
Great vehicle but a few design faults...

I have had my RRSC for two months now and while it is really great to drive and I love it to bits, there are some design items of which I am critical. So I will get my moaning done now once and for all, and you guys can spit right back in my face if you must. I realise that several of these are covered in the posts and have relevant items bookmarked for future use. I.e. I am not necessarily going to live with these faults and intend to rectify all possible.

1) The amount of plastic used in the car is unbelievable – it does not do much for a tough image. The door handles are a disgrace.
2) I liked my old Defender where you could see every nut and bolt, and how to dismantle things was obvious. In the RR you can break stuff before you find out how you should have got it off.
3) The Radiator Grill has to be the most aesthetically displeasing aspect of the whole car. I have seen more attractive pieces of Swiss Cheese - which the designers no doubt intended to imitate.

4) The ABS is lethal on gravel! I have to find a way to disable it (switch in line with fuse?). The first time I braked coming up to a corner at speed on a gravel road I thought the brakes had failed and nearly s**t myself. We made the corner at an unbelievable rate, but the screams from SWMBO were pitiable.
5) The plastic imitation brushed alumin(i)um finish on and around the dash and airvents is tacky – it just doesn’t fit with the leather and wood.
6) I know the big dangly chunks of cast iron on the rear end are supposed to be dampers. Has anyone removed them to see if they actually do anything? Or are they there just to add needlessly to the cars already ridiculous weight?
7) I have a black interior. Rolling Eyes The rear courtesy (misnomer) lights are feeble and don’t even come on as a passenger opens a rear door.
8. The access height should be selectable from outside the vehicle with the third button on the key. But no.
9) Why did they not make the extended height selectable? I am going to crunch the front and rear panels in one rough spot that I could easily access with my RR2
10) Why couldn’t they have given us an aux video input on the nav screen so as to install a rear view camera say?
11) My rear hatch door lock failed after 3 days; the dealer replaced the whole electrical locking mechanism - I hope this doesn't turn out to be a continuing problem
12) The nav voice assist makes me jump everytime she says "Turn left ahead" or somesuch. Can the volume be adjusted? I don't think so.

That's it (for now?) Next time the good points! .
Come for a visit, Victoria is beautiful!

Post #86616 Fri Feb 23 2007 2:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ivery819

Part Reply....No answers

AlanM
re#4
I spend most of my time on gravel roads and yes you need to lock up and build up a wave of material in front of the wheels to stop quickly in this situation.
If you can't STEER your way out of trouble then you need to change your underpants.
I do not know of ANY vehicle (here in Australia anyway ) that allows the ABS to be turned off.
Some of the local designed and manufactured cars have an adjusted ABS profile which allows the wheel to lock up for longer before releasing, building up the gravel wave, however on bitumen roads their ABS is not as effective as it could be.
Perhaps the answer for Landrover is to have a selectable setting for the ABS. (presuming this is not already in the Terrain programs )
ANY INPUT FROM THE GURUS WOULD BE WELCOME.
Like you, I love this car but have a few minor points to make which I feel would be constructive criticisms.
For now ( my 6th Landrover product ) I am sooooo glad I can now park in my friends driveways and not leave any oil stains

Post #86618 Fri Feb 23 2007 3:03am
simonsi

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost
Nav Volume

"Can the volume be adjusted? "

Yep - just adjust the volume while the nav is speaking and voila!

"(presuming this is not already in the Terrain programs ) "

...think it is, traction control etc certainly changes. Cheers

Simon

2007 2.7HSE 20" Wheels
2005 TDV6 D3 S Auto - Zambezi Silver - JE Tune - RRS 19" - Sidesteps - Roof Rails
Body Side Strips - Xenons - Bright Pack - Cold Pack - Premium Stereo
Alpine Roof - Towpack - Alpine Touchscreen Satnav - Veba Rear DVD changer
Alpine Roof Monitor - Webasto FBH Timer - Brembo Frt & S/C Rr Brakes

Post #86619 Fri Feb 23 2007 8:05am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Hi Alan,

All valid points as long as you remember all cars have their design faults - my old BM 5 series, although very capable on the road had (to me) some very annoying design features

Cheers

Kaine

Post #86621 Fri Feb 23 2007 8:58am
AlanM

Thanks for our responses. Would you believe I pressed every button on the nav and radio but neglected the volume control!! I will try it today.
One more difficulty is getting one's hand down the side of the seat to operate the seat controls. The memory buttons are hard to find by touch. There is also some connection between dipping mirrors not coming back up and the lazy entry, but I haven't yet analised that comletely. And in my list I made no mention of 12mpg around town!
You are right no vehicle is perfect and one always has to put up with something silly in our estimation. Fortunately on the RRS the merits of the car completely overwhelm the deficiencies. I LOVE the power ; the suspension with anti-roll is fantastic; the comfort and interior are luxurious; the sound system is great; and it drives wonderfully. .

Post #86780 Fri Feb 23 2007 7:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Boaz

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Bonatti Grey

Perhaps a little more time spent reading the manual would be in order... Confused

I too had several things I was initially frustrated with, until I read the manual and figured out how to do the things I wanted to do. For example, the homelink buttons - my garage door has rolling codes for security reasons. I initially thought this precluded me from using the homelink buttons. Then I read the manual. 5 minutes later I was all set, and felt like an idiot for not having done that before. Embarassed

As for the aesthetics, that's a matter of opinion and something you can easily see before buying the car. I think most of us on this forumn would say that the RRS is the best looking SUV on the market. Cool And the sales obviously support that as well. The grill and side vents are great, and the interior generates envy from anyone I've ever had in it, including those who drive the full size RR.

My suggestion for improvement would be to have a split rear hatch, like that of the full size RR. A small tail gate would really come in handy. Not sure why they didn't do that in the first place. But all-in-all this is a great vehicle on and off road. Thumbs Up 2006 Bonatti Grey HSE; Ebony Lux Package; Bluetooth; Sat Radio; Rails & Crossbars; Mudflaps; Nitto TerraG's; Matt. 6:33

Post #86782 Fri Feb 23 2007 7:22pm
AlanM

Boaz,
Thanks for your input. I had an RR2 before this with a split tailgate. This is nice for picnics but makes it difficult to reach the far end of the luggage compartment - you had to climb onto the tailgate and drag things back; the wife never even attempted it. I much prefer the RRS setup for my purposes and I do carry a lot.. The best vehicle I ever had in that regard was a Rambler (yes, American Station Wagon): the glass went down electrically into the lower half of the rear hatch door. You could then open the door either downwards OR sideways!! So that would make both you and I happy.
I agree with you - the visual appeal of the vehicle is tremendous, and I was certainly attracted to the car because of that. But I AM going to alter that grill!

. .

Post #86818 Sat Feb 24 2007 5:00am
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

Hi Alan i hear where you are comming from on some of the design features but Like Kaine said you get poor designs on all cars, But what an overall car it is.

It does beg the question , What are you going to do with the grille, i personally love the S/C grille some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #86841 Sat Feb 24 2007 11:37am
Boaz

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Bonatti Grey

Please don't put that Strut grill on there. Looks like a pasta strainer... Razz 2006 Bonatti Grey HSE; Ebony Lux Package; Bluetooth; Sat Radio; Rails & Crossbars; Mudflaps; Nitto TerraG's; Matt. 6:33

Post #86876 Sat Feb 24 2007 7:03pm
AlanM

Envoy and Boaz: I agree the Strut design is not quite it. I would like to get something like the photo below, which harks back to the series 1 and 2 RR's, but this is made only for the Big RR not the RRS as far as I can tell. Maybe a little adaption? Must go to the dealers where I can compare the two vehicles and see. Any other suggestions?

. .

Post #86885 Sat Feb 24 2007 7:32pm
TJ101

England 

AlanM wrote:
. And in my list I made no mention of 12mpg around town!
I LOVE the power ; .

Hmm, think you will find one, will not go without the others, Rolling Eyes , But try paying over 9 CAD a gallon, My G4 with the 4.4 is aroung the 17mpg, !!

Will agreed with your point 7, grimm !! and the Volvo electric seat switch, being a tight fit 997 TT, RR TDV8 Vog SE 90 V8 Hybrid
www.wessex4x4response.org.uk
http://forum.innovate4x4.com
G4 RRS Gone

Post #87306 Mon Feb 26 2007 12:23am
AlanM

TJ101 and point #7 Open rear door...courtesy lights come on !!! Here's how...

I just worked out how to do this and posted it in the mods section, but check my webpage:

http://www.admiral.bc.ca/RRSC/reardoorlights/reardoorlights.html

It may take a while to load as there are lots of photos.

. .

Post #87339 Mon Feb 26 2007 1:35am
Invictus

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Hmm... Why doesn't the suspension automatically go to access height when I select Park?

This would be of benefit to me.

Post #94614 Sun Mar 18 2007 6:33am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Re the ABS........................... have you tried using the TR in the "Sand" setting rather than the grass/gravel/snow setting? The owners manual recommends trying it for "deep" gravel. The TR adjusts the ABS to suit the conditions so the sand programme tones the intervention down a bit. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #94621 Sun Mar 18 2007 8:42am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Invictus wrote:
Hmm... Why doesn't the suspension automatically go to access height when I select Park?
This would be of benefit to me.

Why don't you just press the suspension down button just before you select Park! It will be down to access level almost as quickly as you can select park.

AlanM - have you tried parking the car in access mode so it is already there when you come back to it. Also by parking the car in access/lowest mode, the ECU thinks that you are going to be away from the car for a longer period and puts all the electronics to "sleep" instead of "standby". This means that if you are parked near to some other RR's, RRS's and D3's when their owners come back to their cars and press the remote fob button, your car doesn't perk up and activate all the systems ready for you to drive off, it will stay asleep until you activate your fob. Leaving the car in "Normal" height in a carpark means the ECU thinks you will be coming back in a short period and leaves all the electronic systems in standby mode ready to come to life instantly. If you leave the car like this for a prolonged period you will suffer shortened main battery life, lowering to access and locking up puts the electonics into deep sleep mode and saves battery power. I think this is the correct interpretation of the system.......... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #94622 Sun Mar 18 2007 8:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>