RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Muddys Mini Countryman Cooper S All4 PHEV
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>

muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Cheers Tim - I haven't got run flats but came with Summer 18" Wheels - I have found a set of original Summer 17" on ebay taken off a new vehicle by the owner who wanted to upgrade - I have arranged to swap mine with the seller for cost of fitting and Andy (Tyrefitter) is going to sort all seasons for me afterwards so should be all good soon Thumbs Up

I have downloaded the App and agree it's excellent - Mitsy relied on WiFi which was a PITA getting signal Embarassed

I test drove a Top Spec Exclusive (Mini supplied it for 48hrs free!) and it was superb but saved a load of dosh buying a nearly new outgoing model with Chilli pack Mr. Green

I had a wall charger for the Mitsy PHEV but gave it to a friend and now looking at £300+ for replacement even with £500 grant - robbing Censored So for now I'm using the granny charger supplied and see how it goes Confused

I have the travel lead from the Mitsy but it's Type 1 so bought a Type 2 head and going to swap then I can charge away from home - this will give me free parking in York instead of £2.20 per hour and free electric in some places Cool

I was a member of Mini2 years ago - will have to see if it's still working Bow down

Pelyma - I prefer 6.5 secs, better mpg and preheat to 5.2 secs and rattling fillings thanks Laughing Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #590979 Mon Nov 25 2019 3:59pm
Pelyma

England 

But who would have thought a Mini SUV would have done either Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #590980 Mon Nov 25 2019 4:01pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Agree Thumbs Up

Funny thing is it doesn't feel that fast but my passengers tell me it is Rolling with laughter Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #590985 Mon Nov 25 2019 4:26pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Paul I use the granny charger at home. It only takes me 3 hours for a full charge on that with the charge rate in the dash settings set to the fastest. The car has a charge limiting circuit so no point I trying to charge it any faster on a rapid charger at home. Even on a public charger it won’t take rapid charging, a bit faster than the granny charger but not a lot. I would like some more electric range but while I’ve been at home from Sept to November I had enough to get into Stirling from home in electric mode and then recharge on one of the public chargers while doing my shopping etc look at the app to see how much time to full charge and walk back to the car, drop the shopping in the boot and go for a coffee and cake at the cafe in the car park! I reckon for where I live and the journey lengths I’ve been running 75-80% of them in purely electric mode.
The SatNav in mine is the upgraded BMW system but I’m sure yours will have the special PHEV software that has road gradients programmed into it, if you program in a route and select auto e-drive it will look after the petrol/electric selection for the journey. Must admit I don’t bother for local drives as there isn’t much routing choice and it’s almost a flat 16 mile road trip - I usually just switch to Max e-drive and go for it but if I’m going into Glasgow I use Save mode and switch to max e-drive when I get into the Glasgow city boundary - the extra umph of the petrol engine on the uphill downdale twisty road there is better done in petrol mode. I also switch to save for motorway runs - from Stirling to Edinburgh on the M9 I drive in Save mode and join the motorway with about 1/3rd of a battery charge, by the time I get to Edinburgh Airport turnoff I have regenerated a full charge and drive into the city in electric mode. I have never used Sport mode in the Mini, it does have very strong regen but I think in D the get up and go is quite sufficient not to need S mode 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #590994 Mon Nov 25 2019 6:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Great info Tim Bow down

I admit I'm a little confused by all the modes despite previously owning a Mitsy PHEV but it was much simpler Confused

I was planning to change my Android phone for an iPhone to use carplay and have google maps displayed but may keep my phone and stick with the Mini Nav if it uses gradient in calcs Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #590996 Mon Nov 25 2019 6:38pm
Tim in Scotland

Must admit I have never tried a long route to see if the gradient bit works! With the RRS I used to think nothing of driving to London and back but now I’ve almost slid off the slide to retirement I find that long distances in a day are not pleasant or fun any more so I fly or let the train take the strain and the Mini get to do the day to day stuff like a shopping trolley. I still have my Defender and have been teased at the OffRoad club to bring my 4WD Mini along sometime to see how it copes but with less ground clearance than a Disco Sport/Evoque it might be a bit embarrassed by anything more serious than a forest fire road! My father loves being a passenger in the Mini trying to see if he can tell when it is in petrol or electric mode, you may have noticed that unless you have a lead foot in petrol mode the little 3 cylinder motor is very smooth and quiet. He’s never been able to tell and also claims that my driving habits are much better than when I was “driving that huge tank” around (he means the RRS!)

Something you might find handy if it is fitted to your car is using the coloured LED surround to the centre radio satnav display to show different things - I set mine to always return to being a charge indicator (it’s easier to see than the display on the Speedo dial in front of the driver!). Altering the heating, adjustingbthenradio volume, the parking sensors and the distance to next turning in the satnav all come on it in different colours but the yellow one you can select your favourite one so I chose it to indicate the charge level remaining - it can be set to be a rev counter if you want.

Yes there have been a lot of complaints that you cannot use the smartphone mirroring if you have an android phone - I’m sure it will come with the next facelift! It works well with my iPhone 8Plus BUT I paid extra for the induction charger and the 8Plus is about ½ a mm too long to fit into the cradle ............. Big Cry 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #591003 Mon Nov 25 2019 8:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Tim I was worried about the 3 cylinder engine as my uncles c1 and daughters aygo are awful but so far pleasantly surprised with the mini even when overtaking Thumbs Up

Can sympathise on the long distance driving - used to drive from Newhaven to Scottish Borders regularly in my youth but now I hate trips - roads are too congested and bad driving everywhere - need to get another dashcam asap Sad

Just used app to plan a route for tomorrow and sent it to car with departure time - will it precondition or do I need to send that seperatly Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #591004 Mon Nov 25 2019 8:57pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

A question for you as I am thinking of joining the PHEV brigade but with something larger.

How is the engine protected from being asked to suddenly start and run at high speed when it is called upon and you are travelling at speed in in EV mode? 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #591011 Mon Nov 25 2019 9:44pm
Tim in Scotland

There is no protection on the Mini - to the extent that I now run the first 3-4 miles in petrol mode at this time of year to warm the engine up to the Normal mark, also do it if I think I might want to do some pressing on miles or will join a fast A road or motorway. As most PHEVS have electric cabin heaters you don’t even need to run the ICE to warm the cabin. In the mini also the throttle is very sensitive and if you are in auto e-drive you do have to take care with the throttle not to trigger an unwanted start of the ICE. In the Mini if you use Max e-drive the petrol engine will not cut in at all until the HV battery is fully depleted, in Save mode the electric power train is completely disabled and you run 100% in petrol engined FWD. Paul will be able to tell you what the Outlander system was.

Paul, you will either have to trigger the pre-heat from the app 20 minutes before starting out or set the “climatisation” mode on the app or on the centre screen on the dashboard - I’m away at sea at the moment so it’s hard to show the way in the dash, but access the car settings on the big circular touch screen, select timed charge and also the climatize before departure checkbox, set the time to charge the car and it will heat automatically. Also best to do it with the car on the granny charger on mains power to preserve the longest electric range in the HV battery. If it is frosty outside the windows (all of them) clear in about 12 minutes. Also remember to open the vents on the ends of the dash IIC not the centre vents. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Mon Nov 25 2019 10:14pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #591013 Mon Nov 25 2019 10:00pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

OK, I was thinking along those lines so on a long journey maybe "save" the EV section for the last few miles.

I am looking at a Mercedes GLE hybrid which has a 69 mile EV range and a 2 litre diesel engine.
There is very little real hard info on it yet and am hoping it has some sort of technology to protect the ICE if it driven by my wife! Laughing 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #591014 Mon Nov 25 2019 10:11pm
Pelyma

England 

The 3cyl 1.5 engine is the Cooper engine, my son’s flies along and is actually really quite torquey, I should think with the added electric it really pulls. What is the boot space like? Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #591015 Mon Nov 25 2019 10:14pm
Tim in Scotland

Hybrids are different again to PHEVS. You don’t plug a hybrid into the mains, basically it self charges from the petrol/Diesel engine and regenerates to charge the battery as you drive along, when it is fully charged it will switch to electric. PHEV’s rely on being plugged in to charge the battery but can charge from regen braking and engine overrun too. JLR call their “hybrid” system MHEV - moderate hybrid without needing to plug it in. They also have the P400e PHEVs that are plug in hybrids

The Countryman PHEV boot is a little smaller than the nonPHEV as the HV battery pack is under the rear bench seat, in the PHEV you also loose the rear seat recline ability. The rear seat splits 40/20/40 so the stowage is very flexible if you need to extend it. I would say it’s about the same size as an Evoque’s boot - I have to fold the seat backs to get a large hard shell suitcase into the Mini’s boot 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Mon Nov 25 2019 10:23pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #591016 Mon Nov 25 2019 10:19pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

The Mitsy PHEV I had before forced engine to start in cold weather when I started my journey unless I used preheat which also circulated fluid to warm engine too.

I assume mini does the same when preheated before starting or the engine will be forced to start - Tim will be more knowledgeable than me on this Bow down Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #591017 Mon Nov 25 2019 10:20pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Thanks Tim - I will check the vents are open and follow your instructions Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #591018 Mon Nov 25 2019 10:24pm
Tim in Scotland

My car is 18 months old but I was away all winter last year so don’t know if the engine will be pre-heated - the battery pack is supposed to be but again I’ve never experienced that. During summer I did find it cooling the battery pack with the aircon on a couple of very hot days! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #591019 Mon Nov 25 2019 10:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>