Home > General > Help & advice _ ukpc parking ticket
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Ash3

United Kingdom 
Help & advice _ ukpc parking ticket

Hi guys

Last week parked in a retail park car park run by UKPC

parked car and went for an appointment in central London i tending to be back within the 3 hour period. Unfortunately I got held up and returned to find ticket on my car (16mins earlier and I would have been fine).

Ticket was for overstaying the 3 hour limit.

Car is on my wifes name..she does not actually drive..does not jave full licence. I have a trade policy so i simply need to declare car is in my possession/ custody so that is all fine.

I would be grateful if anyone here with legal knowledge can advise on bedt way to appeal.

I have been told I could write to them on behalf of my wife saying she is registered keeper but not owner and car is shared and was borrowed by 2 separate individuals who used the car to say shop or use gym at separate times, and therefore ask them for irrefutable cctv footage of car entering and exiting the car park at the times stated.

Or just give them a name and address to write to.

Also the photo with the first time stamp is a close up of the nmr plate and no surroundings to show car in context to its location. The rest of the pictures are of show the time stamp after 3 hrs have elapsed.

Your advise and help would be greatly appreciated.

Post #590323 Tue Nov 12 2019 7:11pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Just pay up?

From what you say you no reason not to cough up. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #590325 Tue Nov 12 2019 7:24pm
Ash3

United Kingdom 

It was not intentional and I spend plenty every week at that place. Only overstayed by 15 or so mins which was completely unintentional so why dhould I pay up!..

Post #590328 Tue Nov 12 2019 7:46pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Cos you were over 3 hrs. They have heard every excuse in the book

Post #590331 Tue Nov 12 2019 7:53pm
Godders

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It's a bit like going to the same supermarket and on one visit you forget to pay for your items. You didn't intend to steal and you don't normally steal but the offence was committed and the law broken. The only thing you can make a claim for is the severity of the punishment.

You really should face up to your responsibility and account for your actions. After all it was you that broke the rules and you knew what they were. Embarassed Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Post #590332 Tue Nov 12 2019 7:59pm
keith63

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

unfortunately , whatever way you word it , you were in the wrong
best you could do is pay early and get the discount .
otherwise the bill will only get bigger

these companies are Parasites

k

Post #590342 Tue Nov 12 2019 10:09pm
Ash3

United Kingdom 

Fair point..but you seriously telling me none of you guys ever tried appealling a ticket???.... Rolling Eyes

Remember somebody posting some similar request on disco3 forum some years back...lots of friendly ppl posted with useful friendly advice...rather than sarcastic comments

Post #590346 Tue Nov 12 2019 11:26pm
Godders

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Yes I've appealed on more than one occasion but only when I have had grounds to do so. Based upon the facts that you have given, you have no grounds whatsoever.

I don't see any sarcasm in any of the other posts and without knowing the full facts of the post on disco 3 forum, you are comparing apples and oranges.

Views have been asked for and given, you can either take them on board or ignore them. Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Post #590349 Tue Nov 12 2019 11:45pm
Farmer Chalk

Unfortunately I am in agreement with the others.... you said it was a retail park car park and you parked your car there to commute into town.... a legitimate excuse would be to provide a series of timed and dated purchase receipts which showed you overstayed your welcome because you were legitimately purchasing goods within the retail park...

The reason that the parking company are operating there is because the trading companies on that retail park invited them there to prevent their private car park being filled with commuter traffic...
I would put it down to experience and pay up to save yourself the angst... it stinks but.....

Post #590356 Wed Nov 13 2019 8:05am
Dave B

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

These tickets do have a get out clause in law, BUT, as you purchased some parking time, you have entered and agreed to their terms, therefore you have no case for not paying the charge.

Don't start me off on parking charges, those the motorway services try to administer on trucks is a classic case of being totally illegal under the 'Consumer Rights Act 2015' as 'Unfair Contract Terms'. I have successfully challenged every one issued for the last 10 years or more. 2010 3.6 TDV8 HSE (Gone)
2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago)

Post #590361 Wed Nov 13 2019 9:57am
andyslandy

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Tonga Green

My friend from someone who is on oxygen and as to carry the cylinder around all the time parked in such a car park and overstayed by a similar time, even though I’m registered disabled it’s my first fault and just paid the fine. Life’s too short to worry about it.

Post #590365 Wed Nov 13 2019 10:40am
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

As above really. It’s not their fault you were late and exceeded you paid time. Sorry pay the fine and move on. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #590369 Wed Nov 13 2019 11:15am
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

I think the key thing here is the actual charge (not penalty) for over staying. They charge you for loss of revenue from overstaying your allotted time and someone else not being able to park. If the car park is huge with a lot of constantly empty parking slots you can argue that the charge is disproportionate to the loss of revenue.

For example, a car park is consistently only 1/2 full and it cost you £1 an hour to park, you overstay 15 minutes and you are charged £80. You can argue that at no time we’re they deprived of revenue as there was space available for others to use. You technically owe them for say 1 hour parking (if charged by the hour) plus maybe an admin cost.

My wife was billed £85 by Parking Eye for overstaying by 3 minutes. I refused to pay on the grounds we couldn’t exit the car park for over 5 minutes due to main road traffic. I also stated the charge was as above and if I had overstayed, I would have paid a reasonable charge however I would not being doing so. I appealed through the independent body and the hearing postponed due to the well known court case. After that case found in favour of Parking Eye, the aggressive letters from their solicitors started again and the independent body found in favour of them regarding my appeal. I got a little suspicious of the independent body when I got a letter from them stating the original independent body had gone bankrupt and Wright Hassle solicitors had been contracted to process all appeals. After doing some internet digging I found that Wright Hassle solicitors were the independent body for appeals and also the solicitor acting on behalf of Parking Eye. At that point I sent a letter stating I would have no more communication with them as I felt it was a conflict of interest. After 5 years (in 1 week) since the charge and 3 years since I sent my last letter. I’ve not heard a thing. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #590375 Wed Nov 13 2019 1:49pm
Dave B

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

In response to the above post, the reason Beavis lost to Parking Eye was the fact that he had bought a ticket, and had therefore accepted the terms & conditions.

The argument that the penalty did not reflect the actual loss, which stood up until the case went to the high court, could not be used. 2010 3.6 TDV8 HSE (Gone)
2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago)

Post #590376 Wed Nov 13 2019 2:32pm
Ash3

United Kingdom 

Brit Plumber wrote:
I think the key thing here is the actual charge (not penalty) for over staying. They charge you for loss of revenue from overstaying your allotted time and someone else not being able to park. If the car park is huge with a lot of constantly empty parking slots you can argue that the charge is disproportionate to the loss of revenue.

For example, a car park is consistently only 1/2 full and it cost you £1 an hour to park, you overstay 15 minutes and you are charged £80. You can argue that at no time we’re they deprived of revenue as there was space available for others to use. You technically owe them for say 1 hour parking (if charged by the hour) plus maybe an admin cost.

My wife was billed £85 by Parking Eye for overstaying by 3 minutes. I refused to pay on the grounds we couldn’t exit the car park for over 5 minutes due to main road traffic. I also stated the charge was as above and if I had overstayed, I would have paid a reasonable charge however I would not being doing so. I appealed through the independent body and the hearing postponed due to the well known court case. After that case found in favour of Parking Eye, the aggressive letters from their solicitors started again and the independent body found in favour of them regarding my appeal. I got a little suspicious of the independent body when I got a letter from them stating the original independent body had gone bankrupt and Wright Hassle solicitors had been contracted to process all appeals. After doing some internet digging I found that Wright Hassle solicitors were the independent body for appeals and also the solicitor acting on behalf of Parking Eye. At that point I sent a letter stating I would have no more communication with them as I felt it was a conflict of interest. After 5 years (in 1 week) since the charge and 3 years since I sent my last letter. I’ve not heard a thing.

Cheers Britplumber...

I have heard something along those lines...they do try and scare you into paying.

Post #590394 Thu Nov 14 2019 12:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>