RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Dealer using our car outside work hours whilst in for repair
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Jay1001

Dealer using our car outside work hours whilst in for repair

Our RRS sport was dropped off to the dealer to be repaired under warranty last week for a gearbox fault and suspension fault. They called us the next day asking if it was ok to do some road testing to try generate the fault codes again, which we agreed to, as Land Rover Assist had cleared them.

A few days later we got a load of phone calls and emails from InControl Secure saying that our car alarm keeps going off. We said not to worry as the car was at the dealer being repaired. Just to be sure I checked the Remote app on my phone and noticed that the car had been driven various times Friday and Saturday at strange times. After looking at the journeys I can see it was being driven Friday night to Asda before then being driven to a hotel and then to what I assume is the technician’s house.

Saturday morning it’s then been driven to Wickes, then driven back to the techs home, then to a pub before being driven back to the dealership.

Now when we agreed to road testing they never said the car would be used for personal errands, or kept offsite at a technician’s house overnight.

When we phoned up and spoke to the service manager he admitted this is normal practise and that we agreed to it being road tested plus he said that don’t have time to do testing in normal working hours.

Am I being unreasonable here or is he just trying to fob me off as he get caught out? He said he’d give us a full tank of fuel for our troubles.

Post #594689 Tue Feb 11 2020 11:32am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

If they did that with my car I would NEVER use that dealer again,road testing should be in their working hours plus how long does it take to road test.What if something had happened to your vehicle while outside tecs house,im sure the insurance wouldn't be happy.When I had someone working for me he was only insured during 8am to 6pm. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #594690 Tue Feb 11 2020 11:37am
PEACHY

England 

I had a similar issue in November- the Sport was supposedly taken on a test drive & ended up being parked at a local retail park for 15 mins. When the dealership called me to tell me the Sport was ready for collection I asked the relevant question. Leave it with me was the reply. I then asked again when sitting at the service coordinators desk. I said I’m going to view my dashcam footage & then make a decision. The RRS was driven fast over speed bumps with the music on very loud. I walked back in & said I want to make a formal complaint. The driver was a temp not even a technician Censored I escalated the issue past the service manager to the head office at Jardine motors - I was given over £350 worth of accessories for the interior of my sport.
In your case I would go straight to Landrover Customer Relations 0370 5000500 there behaviours are unacceptable. I’ didn’t really care about the accessories in fact they are still boxed & sitting in my garage - I’d rather my RRS not have been misused in the first place. Evil or Very Mad
Let us know how you get on Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #594694 Tue Feb 11 2020 12:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

To me a key bit of info was not communicated, in that it would be done outside of hours. You can now make a reasonable assumption that somebody is taking your car home. I don’t think you’ll get more than the offer of fuel, but now you’re informed for next time if there is one.

Good though go for it. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #594695 Tue Feb 11 2020 12:34pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Take em to the cleaners. Not acceptable. Go in and make a right stink on front of prospective buyers. I bet you get noticed.
This is why I never, ever take mine to a main dealer. Bunch of Censored mainly
Plenty of good independents around - happy to recommend Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #594696 Tue Feb 11 2020 1:06pm
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

hmm, mine is going in tonight for the stop start, now turned "Journeys" on.......... Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #594699 Tue Feb 11 2020 1:38pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

They have been caught out, otherwise why would he offer you a bribe of a tank full of fuel. Its a pity you had not realised what was happening as you could have told the incontrol operator that the car must have been stolen Big Cry Then the balloon would have gone up when the police arrived at the technicians house
Wonder if he got paid overtime for that dedication to work by taking it home to isolate the problem. You should be thanking him Rolling with laughter

Post #594703 Tue Feb 11 2020 3:07pm
Chugga90

England 
Re: Dealer using our car outside work hours whilst in for re

Jay1001 wrote:
Our RRS sport was dropped off to the dealer to be repaired under warranty last week for a gearbox fault and suspension fault. They called us the next day asking if it was ok to do some road testing to try generate the fault codes again, which we agreed to, as Land Rover Assist had cleared them.

A few days later we got a load of phone calls and emails from InControl Secure saying that our car alarm keeps going off. We said not to worry as the car was at the dealer being repaired. Just to be sure I checked the Remote app on my phone and noticed that the car had been driven various times Friday and Saturday at strange times. After looking at the journeys I can see it was being driven Friday night to Asda before then being driven to a hotel and then to what I assume is the technician’s house.

Saturday morning it’s then been driven to Wickes, then driven back to the techs home, then to a pub before being driven back to the dealership.

Now when we agreed to road testing they never said the car would be used for personal errands, or kept offsite at a technician’s house overnight.

When we phoned up and spoke to the service manager he admitted this is normal practise and that we agreed to it being road tested plus he said that don’t have time to do testing in normal working hours.

Am I being unreasonable here or is he just trying to fob me off as he get caught out? He said he’d give us a full tank of fuel for our troubles.

Which dealer is it, my D4 commercial was in at guy salmon Thames ditton, they had it for five weeks. They got a parking ticket when using it to deliver parts with it!
Perfectly normal and acceptable apparently.

Post #594716 Tue Feb 11 2020 5:52pm
Jjvd21

United States 

I find the hotel portion of the journey the most concerning! Shocked Plenty of questions could come out of that pit stop. 2020 SVR / R.I.P. 2019 SVR / 2016 D4 Landmark / 2005 D3 HSE

Post #594723 Tue Feb 11 2020 7:44pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 
Re: Dealer using our car outside work hours whilst in for re

Jay1001 wrote:

It’s most likely the service manager himself who has used the car! Ive had it before when they could not replicate a fault I had. They told me the service manager will drive it for a couple of days.

Post #594728 Tue Feb 11 2020 9:01pm
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

There is no defence for using a customer car for personal mileage (in or out of work time), UNLESS you have made it clear that is what you intend to do and they have agreed.

Example; When we do an engine exchange, part of the service is that we put at least 100 miles on the new engine. This is not only to bed in the engine, but making sure it performs correctly. As I live 35 miles from work, I take the car home with me and back to work in the morning. That's 70 miles of m/ways, "A" roads and country lanes. The extra mileage is around town and yes, that is usually collecting or dropping off something for work purposes. Basically it is real world driving and if something is going to go wrong, it will be in the first 100 miles.

Most places will fit an engine and run it around the block a few times. We go that extra mile(s) as we want the customer to feel reassured we have fully tested his car and are happy to hand it back with no problems. I've heard all sorts of problems customers have had with poor service because somebody they didn't do their job properly. You have to remember that most people love their car and have just spent a lot of money having it put right. We give feedback to the customer on what we've done and what we've found that is outside of the work we've just done. It makes the customer feel like we actually care about their car - which we do!

As for fuel, we always top it back up to where is was. If it arrived empty, it leaves with 1/4 tank. Joe

Post #594734 Wed Feb 12 2020 10:11am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Quote:
Basically it is real world driving

Sometimes, the only way to replicate a fault is to drive it as the customer would. Sometimes this involves driving the car for a short distance, and letting the car sit for a bit then driving again

Others, it may be after a long-ish motorway run

As long as the garage have made that clear to the customer Thumbs Up

Post #594737 Wed Feb 12 2020 1:27pm
DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Agreed if it is made absolutely clear to a customer that the staff member is taking it home and using it as his vehicle to get to understand the faults better then thats fine all that driving is fine (would raise an eyebrow at the pub though).

However saying "doing some road testing" to me falls way short of the mark here of making that clear.

Care to name and shame the dealer, so we know?

I've seen my various JLR cars in some funny places over the years since they introduced the Remote app!! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #594799 Thu Feb 13 2020 6:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1