RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > What wheels and tyres for winter ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

stuartmc83

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 Santorini Black
What wheels and tyres for winter ?

I bought my car around a week ago it came with 22” khan alloys, everyone I’ve spoken to said the rims split easy and won’t be any use in that winter.

Can anyone help out with what winter wheels I should look at? Size of wheel and tyre

Post #588598 Mon Oct 14 2019 8:26pm
Autobiography1969

England 

I went for a set of 20's

27/45/20 Tyres..(I got 40's but you should go 45's) my mistake when ordering..

Cost around a bag of sand,
but cheaper than a set of winter tyres for the 22's..

£40 to get the wheels changed over if you don't want to do it yourself.. ===========================================
2012 Range Rover Sport Autobiography 3.0 SDV6 8 speed Automatic
Indus Silver with Hockenheim premium two-tone leather Ebony/Lunar,

Post #588605 Mon Oct 14 2019 9:26pm
stuartmc83

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 Santorini Black

Thanks for the reply gives me something to go on Very Happy

Post #588614 Tue Oct 15 2019 6:59am
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
if your wanting Winter tyres they need to have the Snowflake symbol on them, true Winter tyres Thumbs Up

if you dont want to change tyres on your rims or have a spare set of rims & tyres (I had 255/55/19) then look at a All Season tyre, they are a compromise but you use one set all year

I would go for true winter tyres Thumbs Up

keep an eye on D3 for sale ad's RDR has a set of Winter tyres for sale for £200 ISTR depends what wheels you go for? Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #588632 Tue Oct 15 2019 1:07pm
Seatown

Location: Moray - if you're a courier, yes it's mainland UK & no it's not in the Highlands

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I'm about to put a set of 255/50R19 Nokian on my RRS. I picked up a set of RRS 19 inch alloys in the the summer with trashed rubber and have just had the Nokian Winter SUVs fitted.

I've used Nokian on two other cars previously (mini and Merc estate) throughout Northern Scottish winters and they were brilliant. It's not just snow, they're great at low temps and wet roads and unlike Dunlop winters used previously they didn't overheat badly before I got the chance to change them when the warmer weather arrived.

My thinking has been that what the Finns don't know about winter driving and snow tyres probably isn't worth knowing! 2010 TDV8 - current - my first RRS, loving it so far......
2005 Cayenne S - handling defied physics and what a sound, so sod the mpg!
1995 Disco TDI- surprisingly reliable, shame about the peeling dash & other trim
Lots of other non 4X4's in between times.........

Post #588635 Tue Oct 15 2019 2:32pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If the RRS is only used on road, I'd go for a set of Michelin CrossClimate SUV and run them year-round as designed..

Interestingly, in tyre tests, Nokian don't always come out that well (other than in the snow/ice bit where they usually excel). The Goodyear UltraGrip Performance Gen1 SUV seems to be very good all round.

As I want mine to go off road at times, I run a winter-rated AT and accept the compromise that it's, well, a compromise. Not as good as a road winter tyre in winter or a summer road tyre in summer. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #588637 Tue Oct 15 2019 2:59pm
RRSTDV8

Seatown wrote:

I've used Nokian on two other cars previously (mini and Merc estate) throughout Northern Scottish winters

You're probably getting closer to Scandanivian winter conditions than most of us, all the way up there! Thumbs Up Bow down 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #588638 Tue Oct 15 2019 3:01pm
Seatown

Location: Moray - if you're a courier, yes it's mainland UK & no it's not in the Highlands

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

RRSTDV8 wrote:
You're probably getting closer to Scandanivian winter conditions than most of us, all the way up there! 

True!

I did find that both the fwd Mini and even the rwd Merc embarrased a few 4WDs when it properly snowed. I love the look their drivers give when you overtake in the untouched "snowy" lane on dual carriageways. 2010 TDV8 - current - my first RRS, loving it so far......
2005 Cayenne S - handling defied physics and what a sound, so sod the mpg!
1995 Disco TDI- surprisingly reliable, shame about the peeling dash & other trim
Lots of other non 4X4's in between times.........

Post #588641 Tue Oct 15 2019 3:20pm
RRSTDV8

Yes, 4WDs without winter tyres can still get themselves nicely stuck by driving badly. Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #588646 Tue Oct 15 2019 4:34pm
Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

We had an X5 at the end of our drive trying to go up the tiny incline, with all 4 wheels spinning furiously snaking left and right across the road. Reversed never to be seen again. My son Fiesta fitted winters on the front only in Wales wasn’t bothered by the snow at all. He managed to get everywhere he had to go and with some sensible driving the snow wasn’t an issue. My wife’s SLK with these big swanky wheels and tyres didn’t go anywhere, luckily she could work from home Whistle .

We (the dogs and I) went out and it’s eerily quiet when in the arse of nowhere with nothing about. Quite enjoyed it if I’m honest.

Steve. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #588648 Tue Oct 15 2019 4:51pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

I was about to pull the pin on a full set of Grabber AT 3's in 275/45R20 for mine, knowing that they are a compromise - not really winter, not really summer, not really off-road .. but probably enough to get around in the (relatively) mild climate we have here.

I mean .. if I can get around in a Toyota MR2 with wide R888s and next to no tread, in one of the worst winters we had, I'll probably be alright in the RRS. Although hopefully I won't have to dig the RRS out of a snow bank.. Whistle Thumbs Up

Unless anyone says "DEAR GOD DON'T BUY THOSE", of course.. and if I can find somewhere local who can actually supply & fit Laughing

If I was specifically going to buy a set of winter tyres, though, I'd go for the smallest & narrowest I could fit - I think 19s fit over (my) brakes, and are narrower than the 20s.. 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #588667 Wed Oct 16 2019 8:42am
RRSTDV8

New AT3s in the winter will be do fine. I've used them previously - they're reasonably good in snow but a little slippy on ice but then most tyres are to be fair.

If you're only going on road, I'd go for a proper winter road tyre over a winter rated AT to be honest. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #588668 Wed Oct 16 2019 8:53am
Duc750

United Kingdom 

aaronjb wrote:
I was about to pull the pin on a full set of Grabber AT 3's in 275/45R20 for mine, knowing that they are a compromise - not really winter, not really summer, not really off-road .. but probably enough to get around in the (relatively) mild climate we have here.

I mean .. if I can get around in a Toyota MR2 with wide R888s and next to no tread, in one of the worst winters we had, I'll probably be alright in the RRS. Although hopefully I won't have to dig the RRS out of a snow bank.. Whistle Thumbs Up

Unless anyone says "DEAR GOD DON'T BUY THOSE", of course.. and if I can find somewhere local who can actually supply & fit Laughing

If I was specifically going to buy a set of winter tyres, though, I'd go for the smallest & narrowest I could fit - I think 19s fit over (my) brakes, and are narrower than the 20s..

Tyres Northampton can supply and fit Grabbers - Yokohama GO15 are worth a look too but not sure if they have a snowflake rating in that size 2012 SDV6 HSE (technically its hers)
2000 D2 TD5 - definitely mine
2005 D3 V8
Metalian Camper trailer for adventures

Post #588689 Wed Oct 16 2019 12:51pm
Silverstone

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Baltic Blue

aaronjb wrote:

Aaron - I'm also in the market for Grabber AT3 275/40R20 (note 40's rather than 45's) and not far from Northampton. If you find a good local deal on AT3s can you let me know please? Currently the best deal I can find is £620 delivered from Camskill then I need to get them fitted.

Thanks

Silverstone There is no replacement for displacement - W O Bentley

MY2013 5.0 Supercharged HSE L320

Post #588693 Wed Oct 16 2019 1:56pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

Will do! I tried an email to Tyres Northampton with no response .. I'll give them a bell, and a couple of others too for good measure Thumbs Up £620 isn't bad, plus £25 ea for fitting, at a rough guess - but you have to persuade somewhere they want to fit them!

I do know a fella up on Moulton Pk, but their machine struggles with big wheels and they farm most stuff out to AGH I think. 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #588696 Wed Oct 16 2019 2:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>