RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > ‘Taking a break!’
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Andy494

United Kingdom 
‘Taking a break!’

Little bit of a different post but I can’t be the only one...

How many of us either now or in the past have taken a break from Land Rover/RRS whether it’s for financial reasons, a fall out with the brand/car or indeed any other reason only then in hindsight to regret your decision?

To explain my ‘break’, a year or so a go I purchased what I’d describe as my dream RRS, an approved SVR. After 10 months of ownership I parted with it, I was neither bored of it nor struggling to pay for running costs. With my mileage the costs were negligible. For some reason I’ve had a brainwave of putting the money in a more sensible place and getting a less costly car.

I’m sure for a lot us these cars are our passion, we know they cost money, they can go wrong but they bring joy and pride which in life is priceless. I think this is what I lost sight off. My previous LR was a disco 4 which I owned for 9 years and had the same long term ownership plan with the SVR.

Now I find myself looking at other cars and pick up trucks and feeling like if I do that I could make a further mistake only to then come straight back to a RRS! What an idiot!

I’m trying my hardest not to make another rash decision and to make it through to the end of the year with no car, if I’m still missing it come back to a sport.

I’m getting by looking at this as a lesson learnt, live for now instead of worrying about the future.

Let me know your thoughts and your own stories if you’ve done similar,

Andy

Post #603612 Sat Aug 22 2020 5:44pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Been there, done that. I had a D3 for 6 years after a D1 and D2, but sold it for a 6 month old Honda Civic I-Dtec in a fit of sensibleness. It was a brilliant car for what it was (zero VEL, cheap insurance, 60mpg, reliable) but I lasted 9 months before I bought the RRS. Sometimes, like after a big bill, I regret not keeping the Honda, but LR's get in your blood. One day I suppose I will go back to sensible but will miss a LR product and the permagrin.

Post #603630 Sun Aug 23 2020 10:13am
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

I had 3 D3s and 4s over 15 years, then thought I’ll go and sit in an SQ5 as I hated the D5. I didn’t even start the engine, straight to the LR dealer for present RRS Whistle Whistle Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #603631 Sun Aug 23 2020 10:16am
Ash3

United Kingdom 

I had Disco 3..my first LR product. Loved it and kept it for 6 years even then sold it and got a nearly new Audi Q7..loved that too..great car
.kept it for 4 years and part ex'd last year gor MY2016 RRS AB...then got RR Velar too on pcp deal...

Some inexplicable reasin am drawn to LR cars.

Post #603645 Sun Aug 23 2020 2:50pm
BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 

Shifted from a RR P38 with 2.5 L BMW engine, really reliable but let down by dealership service, owned the car for 4 years, for god knows what reason we shifted to a Volvo xc90 in c 2005. Had it for 15mths, the new RRS turned up and we just jumped for a RRS L320 from new. Lost 18k in 15mths but held the L320 for nearly 8 years of total trouble free motoring. (When we decided to switch out of the volvo we were at a petrol station near Chichester , we drove off and the driver window fell out - the car knew its days were numbered !)

Then we shifted from the RRS L320 to the RRS L494 tdv6, lemoned the first car as dealership compromised the interior by using a 3rd party to change the seat skins. Got a complimentary evoque for 6 months and Second RRS L494 ordered and was just a gem for 3 years until oil dilution started to create havoc in miles to service and over filled oil sump..we didn't trust the LR extended warranty to support any crank or engine failure.

Then got sucked in to the reliability and future proof hype of a Lexus Rx450hl... torrid story of brake noise, suspension noise, uncomfortable seats, incompetent dealership, (I knew after a week that we would seriously miss the L494 as it was part of the family. Everytime I saw one on the road I cried Big Cry .) also the Lexus suffered on 3 occassions covid lockdown battery failure and so on..

Gave up hope on the Lexus after 15 months (spot the pattern) but due to Covid and dealers reopening we managed somehow to get 6k over trade from LR for the Lexus and about 12k off a RRS P400e hybrid.....wife and I just could not believe we switched on our terms back to LR... Thumbs Up

You can't beat the feeling and with build quality improving there is every chance we will get a good number of years out of the P400e. So far it has been an absolute peach.

We won't make the same mistake a third time Very Happy P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Post #603662 Sun Aug 23 2020 9:38pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

I’ve moved on after having 7 sports & a few RRFF & losing a load of money,I’ve now got a Ford Focus RS which I intend on keeping for a long time as these will eventually go up in price,I’m not saying I won’t return to a sport as they are really nice motors but I don’t like to lose £1000 a month on them which I have lost in the last 5 years.

Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #603666 Mon Aug 24 2020 6:11am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

You lose so much money because you change them so often. Wink Laughing 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #603675 Mon Aug 24 2020 9:44am
Andy494

United Kingdom 

Thanks everyone.

I guess I’m not surprised it’s not just me who has found themselves in a similar situation. I’m going to bide my time till at least Christmas and see whether the RRS bug remains and evaluate my options. It would be nice to know whether there will be a shake up (down) of prices, either used or new car deals. This is something that would make the decision easier but unless anyone knows different that’s crystal ball stuff!

Tyrefitter,

£1000 per month is the conservative estimate I worked by for costs/loss and I agree it’s a lot. This is something that has always been in my mind coupled with knowing you can get a perfectly good car for a 1/3 or even a 1/4 of this. That’s the head talking! Now the sport is gone the heart is saying a sport is a hugely capable vehicle worth paying a premium for. Basically in a nutshell I probably worry too much! Rolling with laughter

Post #603724 Mon Aug 24 2020 8:27pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Because I like playing with spreadsheets I have one which shows the cost of running my RRS over the last 53 months. Obviously I didn't buy it new but I calculate the following based on those 53 months ownership:

Cost of everything
- initial outlay, residual value, fuel, insurance, road tax, maintenance, enhancements, warrant payments (in and out) = £700.63 per month

Cost without including fuel = £493.08 pm

Cost without fuel, insurance, road tax = £428.28 pm

Depreciation alone is £235.85

And, of course, every month it behaves itself, that figure continues to drop. New turbos - whenever that happens - will make a bit of a dent in it no doubt. Very Happy

It goes without saying that if you buy new or newer, you can hope for less maintenance and repair costs but more initial outlay.

Sorry - I know its a bit anal but some may be interested. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #603743 Tue Aug 25 2020 9:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1