RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Possible new RRS owner....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Gregshearer6

United Kingdom 
Possible new RRS owner....

Hi, very new to range rovers, so been trying to read up as much as I can about them. Have always had bmw and had no issues, but time to change for family and dogs so looking at the range rover sport, sdv6, 2016. Has only 23k miles so still low mileage, just have a few questions if anyone can answer.

1. Typical crank issue, I've see this been mentioned a lot, but does seem to be on older ranges, is there a certain year where this has stopped happening?

2. Does the sdv8 have same issues with crank? Would it be better to pay warranty direct and get a sdv6 or get a sdv8 without warranty?

3. Not sure if I do enough miles, but it's just the practicality of the car that makes it attractive. So can this be run as a daily small journey driver, with the odd blast out the country to clear it out? Just that I've seen dpf issues.

I appreciate these might be asked before but I wouldn't mind getting information on exact year I was planning getting.

Thanks

Greg

Post #586649 Tue Sep 10 2019 11:02am
GJW1

United Kingdom 

When i had a SDV6 i didnt do many miles each day mostly sum 10 mile journeys and never had a issue with the DPF

Cant comment on the crank issue but i wouldnt be put off personally by it but would take out a warranty for at least a year to cover myself.

MY17 cars have the larger sat nav screen and updated software and i would go SDV6 or the Supercharged V8 over the 4.4

Post #586679 Tue Sep 10 2019 7:34pm
Gregshearer6

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the reply gjw1.

That's good to hear, wasn't sure how it would be with low mileage.

I dont think I'll be going for my17, the my16 I have planned is perfect for me, so will live with the lesser touch screen.

Just needing some feedback from others who have that kind of car and year, as I have no clue about range rovers, think the sdv6 engine will suffice.

Post #586684 Tue Sep 10 2019 7:55pm
harisson

Switzerland 

Hello gregshaerer6

Welcome Smile
I am an owner of a MY16 SDV6 and I am very happy. Just after buying it after a few weeks I read about the crank issue, but it made and makes so much fun, that this possible issue I classified as "can appear" and that's it.

I once had an oil chamge based on the info in the info cluster. On the diagnostic tool it showed that I had 7% oil dilution, but I can't believe that because in minimum once a month I drive more than 100km in one direction. Yearly I am driving about 20000-22000km.
Before the next oil chamge I will send a small amount for analysis

I came from a BMW too (2009 E60 530d with 235hp tuned to 270hp). Every time when I push the SDV6 a bit harder, I am surprised how good it goes. It's really quick regarding the huge car...

I wouldn't give it back Smile
Go for it Range Rover Sport HST D350

Post #586685 Tue Sep 10 2019 8:16pm
Tom_w_27

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

I am looking at replacing my current '06 RRS next year.
I have decided against the sdv6, because I don't do enough miles to warrant a diesel, 6-7k (mostly very short trips)a year is asking for oil dilution and DPF issues IMO.
If I did longer trips, the SDV6 would' be the engine of choice.
A warranty would be a must for me, crank repairs bills are eye watering.

Post #586686 Tue Sep 10 2019 8:30pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi and welcome,

I would go for a 2016 HSE Dynamic 3.0d with full service history and a Service pack Thumbs Up

Although I could be a bit Biased Whistle 2 years now and warranty for tail gate struts and re-align the boot and thats it Thumbs Up

diamond cut alloys had to be refurbed by the dealer as well

Although we very rarely do short trips 10M each way once or twice a week or longer runs no DPF issues, but just looking at taking a 3Y WD policy out next

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #586687 Tue Sep 10 2019 8:34pm
Aguiness

United Kingdom 

Hi

i bough a 2015 HSE 3.0d with lots of extras several months ago i have had no issues so far and by far the best car i have ever had i do approx 60mls each day.
I cant recommend this car enough

go for it

Post #586696 Tue Sep 10 2019 9:40pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Blah, blah, blah SDV6 or SDV8? SDV8 every day. No crank issue, better grunt, similar mpg, better noise, better spec. Just, well, better. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #586701 Wed Sep 11 2019 12:30am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Morning ive got a my15 sdv6 AB & I said I would never go back to a diesel after I sold a my14 AB with flrsh only 33000 miles & within new owner having it 2 weeks the crankshaft failed on him,i then purchased a my14 AB Supercharged which was a briliiant car but if I had kept it I would have lost my licence so I traded it in for my15 sdv6 which I still have & has flrsh & is going in for its 5th service on Friday on the service plan.Previous to these ive had 3 L320's with the 3.0 sdv6 & 2 tdv8's which were all good cars. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #586707 Wed Sep 11 2019 7:45am
Gregshearer6

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all replies.

I feel I'm going towards sdv6 with a warranty, rather than a sdv8, but not hundred percent as the extra power might be nice as I'm coming from a bmw m4.

What sort of packs would be recommended to try and get with car?

I guess just the low mileage might be only real issue, probably 9-10k max, but car just looks lovely, and so practical for my needs now I cant really see past it

Post #586712 Wed Sep 11 2019 8:47am
Tyrefitter

If you are buying from a LR dealer ask them to put it in writing that if anything happens to the crank or oil dilution they will cover it,,they will say they have never heard of it but that's just bulls@@t,the dealer I got mine from sent me a email to say they will cover if anything does go bang. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #586719 Wed Sep 11 2019 10:19am
DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

The SDV8 has a noticeable amount of extra "grunt"

However in real world terms I'd say its not that far away from the SDV6 (having owned both engined cars) at all and the extra weight at the front is noticeable - although I wouldn't say its bad.

From a buying new or nearly new POV I'd probably err towards the SDV6 now knowing what I know about both engines.

Buying second hand changes the game around a bit as the prices have had time to reflect their true market value as by its very nature of being a bigger engined car it depreciates faster from new.

With that being said the SDV8 does have a nice rumble to it, some people might counter that with its not as smooth as the SDV6.

In my opinion from a second hand point of view, it really is 50/50 (barring any longterm diesel implications), new or nearly new I'd probably steer towards the SDV6 for financial reasons.

Oh forgot to add the SDV8 is not prone to the crank issues that are swept across this forum and there's more than just a few to suggest a small isolated bad batch. As Tyrefitter said get it in writing you are covered if you get unlucky and your engine is a bad one. Apparently they quietly fixed it by a certain MY but I forget what that was now.

Hope that helps. Non JLR Vehicle

Post #586727 Wed Sep 11 2019 12:23pm
Gregshearer6

United Kingdom 

Well I'm planning buying from not a LR dealer just due to there apr being out of this world ridiculously high!! So was just planning getting warranty from warranty direct as seem to me they are good and also pay out for engine issues.
I must admit the rumble from the sdv8 does make me think go for that, but there isnt really that much bhp difference between to make me think it's worth it.
I know the sdv8 is better spaced but I'm not overly fussed, especially the one I was looking at looked great gas 21 inch alloys and well the air suspension is a winner too.

Post #586730 Wed Sep 11 2019 12:46pm
Tyrefitter

The sdv8 is better spec because they are all AB spec as opposed to the sdv6 which can be HSE,HSE Dynamic & Autobiography. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #586731 Wed Sep 11 2019 12:51pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Gregshearer6 wrote:
Well I'm planning buying from not a LR dealer just due to there apr being out of this world ridiculously high!! So was just planning getting warranty from warranty direct as seem to me they are good and also pay out for engine issues.
I must admit the rumble from the sdv8 does make me think go for that, but there isnt really that much bhp difference between to make me think it's worth it.
I know the sdv8 is better spaced but I'm not overly fussed, especially the one I was looking at looked great gas 21 inch alloys and well the air suspension is a winner too.

I would look for finance separately from the car purchase, if you are a good risk there are plenty of good finance deals out there. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #586734 Wed Sep 11 2019 1:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>