RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Battery - how to check / charge?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Villager

United Kingdom 
Battery - how to check / charge?

Hi all, I have read through lots of threads but remain unsure so would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

I have a 4.4l 2014 car (non S/S) that has started giving low battery warnings. We mainly use the car for shortish journeys about town so I gather the battery does not necessarily need replacing, but perhaps would just benefit from trickle charging.

My questions:

1. What is the second, higher battery for if I have no S/S?

2. Should I go ahead and get a trickle charger, or test the battery first (and if so, how?)?

3. I have a non-trickle charger - can I charge the battery through the bonnet connections or do I have to take it out?

TIA

Dean

Post #640908 Thu Apr 04 2024 3:59am
Pistnbroke

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Galway Green

first it is an old wifes tale that short journeys dont re charge the battery . the starter does not use even 1 AH and the charge rate at 15A soon recharges it ....No it dont charge at 120A !!!

If the alternator is working OK it should raise the battery voltage to at least 14v when at 2000 ish RPM.

Charge the battery and if after standing 12 hrs its below 12.5v then its suspect.. If over 4 years old its suspect.
Batteries age like women but at 10x the rate ( do the math).

For testing you need a digital battery tester which pulses the battery with discharge current and give the full picture ...if its over 3 micro ohms its failed.

Charge battery in situ is fine ...thats what the alternator does !

A new battery delivered on ebay ( 019) is £80 dont waste money on an AMG or fancy brand names.

For maintenance charging dont let it go over 14.4v as thats when it gasses and most batteries are sealed.
A float charger should take it to 13.8v which is fine ..just leave it connected.

Again lots of chargers on ebay for small money..the one I use was under £20. Always listen to old people or when they die you will live on in ignorance.
The avatar is a picture of the man with a big cock.
Learned to 4x4 on 100 mile beach and Frazer Island QLD
Dont spend money on old cars you will never get it back

Post #640909 Thu Apr 04 2024 7:02am
JDPRRSUK

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Thought AGM battery was required for start/stop?

Post #640927 Thu Apr 04 2024 7:22pm
Notyalc

United Kingdom 

OP says he is non SS

Post #640928 Thu Apr 04 2024 7:40pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Could always fit a EFB type battery, better than a "cheapo" wet battery, but not as good as a AGM, good compromise between the two and reasonable prices. I fitted a Varta AGM Stop/Start to my old L320 nearly eight years ago, although didn't actually need the stop/start type, but still going strong and never had a flat battery yet, you get what you pay for, cheap crap or reasonable quality.

Cheers
Col

Post #640934 Fri Apr 05 2024 4:46am
Pistnbroke

I have worked in a battery factory ..the cases come down the line and the cell groups go in ..every 50 the label changes from 1year to 4 year warrantee and the price doubles..Its all to do with failure risk.
More rubbish is spoken about batteries than anything else ..it just a lump of lead ..get the biggest for the lowest price. Always listen to old people or when they die you will live on in ignorance.

Post #640935 Fri Apr 05 2024 7:06am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Get a CTek smart charger, connect the convenience leads to the battery and then you just plug the Ctek lead in to the convenience connector. Charger does the rest. Plenty of people have done this such that the connector can be accessed without even opening the bonnet. It's about as simple and easy as you can get and thus you're more likely to connect it up.

If you have tow electrics, you can charge through that - easier on the older L320 because the plug is always accessible - with electrically operated tow bars it might not be so easy. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #640942 Fri Apr 05 2024 9:41am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Pistnbroke wrote:
first it is an old wifes tale that short journeys dont re charge the battery . the starter does not use even 1 AH and the charge rate at 15A soon recharges it ....No it dont charge at 120A !!!

And yet we see people who do lots of short journeys finding their battery declining over time and thus needing periodic charging whilst long journey drivers almost never do. Funny that.

It's almost as if the starter motor isn't the only drain on the system and that other stuff might be putting a big draw on the amps. Headlights, heated seats, a million different ECUs, etc., etc.. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #640943 Fri Apr 05 2024 9:45am
Pistnbroke

When you idle in traffic the alternator only produces about 8 A and considering a headlamp draws 5A yes there is a load on the battery.
Using a small charger when the car is not in use is a good idea but can give a false impression of how good he battery is.
AMG batteries are good for high vibration situations or if you need them to be used in any position otherwise dont waste your money . Always listen to old people or when they die you will live on in ignorance.

Post #640991 Sat Apr 06 2024 6:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1