Page 1 of 2 12>

samd

England 
JLR Letter on Oil Dilution

Soz if posted before - did search!

Post #584237 Sun Jul 21 2019 9:45am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Rolling with laughter so basically the cars most likely to be bought by commuter drivers are the worst effected by a design fault in JLR’s architecture........ petrol engines also now have to have PPF’s so its going to start happening to cars with this from 2018MY when petrol particulate filters came into force. Soon the only cars not suffering from oil dilution will be EV’s (just what the bureaucrats want - until the lights start going out all over Europe because too many people are charging big battery banks on a too small electric supply infrastructure.) and HEV’s and PHEV’s have to have particulate filters now so they will suffer from both oil dilution and possible electricity shortages! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Sun Jul 21 2019 6:01pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #584246 Sun Jul 21 2019 2:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cedric

United Kingdom 

Not sure what the "customer qualification process" is, but neither my wife or I have ever be asked about our driving habits.

The only salesman that ever said not the engine type for you was an ex-volvo salesman, who had only been with JLR for a very short period, who recently strongly advised against a plug-in hybrid, most of my journeys are medium to long and would mainly not be on stored overnight electricity, with consequently very poor mpg. 20 RRS P400e HSE Dynamic Eiger grey/Ebony - Gone

Post #584254 Sun Jul 21 2019 4:21pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Cedric, exactly what a Glasgow Main Delaer’s salesman told me when I went in to inquire about the RRS PHEV - up to then most of my journies were 16-20 miles with 4-5 round trips to London from Central Scotland per year. I was prepared to take the risk that the PHEV was not the best suited car for my type of motoring but now I take the plane or train to London instead of driving and, a not RRS PHEV, suits most of my journies to a T - 16 miles to nearest town is a complete winter charge per journey to a destination where free charging is available. jLR’s Loss not mine! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #584256 Sun Jul 21 2019 6:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Paulcp

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Atacama Sand
Re: JLR Letter on Oil Dilution

samd wrote:

Do you have a longer version which you could post?

Post #584304 Mon Jul 22 2019 1:26pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Unless Iv'e misread this, it makes no mention of diesels before 16MY (because they are all out of warranty now?) but I thought they all had DPF's from 2011/12. I would guess that there will be far fewer V6 diesels sold now, both new and approved, providing sales staff disclose it to prospective buyers.

Post #584305 Mon Jul 22 2019 1:49pm
Revoke

United Kingdom 

The issue is EU6 NOx limits. To meet these they had to use selective catalytic reduction (DEF injection) combined with reduced engine temperatures. That lowers NOx production but creates more soot (think bunsen burner). So it wasn't an issue for EU5, i.e. anything pre 2015.

Post #584306 Mon Jul 22 2019 2:12pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

Cedric wrote:
Not sure what the "customer qualification process" is, but neither my wife or I have ever be asked about our driving habits.

The only salesman that ever said not the engine type for you was an ex-volvo salesman, who had only been with JLR for a very short period, who recently strongly advised against a plug-in hybrid, most of my journeys are medium to long and would mainly not be on stored overnight electricity, with consequently very poor mpg.

When I recently went to the dealer to look at and perhaps order a new car one of the early discussions asked about the type of journeys I make and what would be the most suitable engine. I do a lot of short journeys and so far have no issues with the diesel, however I liked the idea of the 3.0l petrol engine and ordered one.
Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #584308 Mon Jul 22 2019 3:42pm
Spleen

United Kingdom 

What qualifies as 'low speed and short duration'? Ferrari F430 Spider F1
MY17 RRS AB V6
2CV6 Special

Post #584315 Mon Jul 22 2019 5:43pm
samd

England 
Re: JLR Letter on Oil Dilution

Paulcp wrote:
samd wrote:

Do you have a longer version which you could post?

I have sent a message to the person I got it from. Will let you know.

Post #584319 Mon Jul 22 2019 7:31pm
Paulcp

Thanks 👍

Post #584321 Mon Jul 22 2019 7:45pm
samd

England 

Sorry about the three bits - best I can do.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #584333 Mon Jul 22 2019 10:06pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Revoke wrote:
The issue is EU6 NOx limits. To meet these they had to use selective catalytic reduction (DEF injection) combined with reduced engine temperatures. That lowers NOx production but creates more soot (think bunsen burner). So it wasn't an issue for EU5, i.e. anything pre 2015.

Very interesting thanks.
I deliberately bought one of the early face lift 3.0ltr diesels because it didn't have a DPF, but I do wonder how many people have actually had DPF problems pre the Euro6 engine.

Post #584334 Mon Jul 22 2019 11:11pm
Father Jack

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

My 3.0 sdv6 is a 2012 EU5 with dpf (61 plate build date Sept 2011). Bought in 2015 on 44k miles now just under 100k. In that time I have had 1 occasion where I had to get my indy to do a forced regen, and from memory 3 or 4 amber triangles to take it for a run to clear it out, which worked fine.

Quite a bit of urban short journeys in the week sub 40mph under 10 miles or 15 mins. But also at least one a month west mids to edin return or west mids to wilts return so perhaps it is sorting itself out on the longer journeys ?

Post #584339 Tue Jul 23 2019 8:18am
Paulcp

@Samd = thanks for obtaining the full document.

Do you know how recent the document is? Assume it must be pretty recent since it mentions the D8 platform

Post #584347 Tue Jul 23 2019 9:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>