RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Which RRS: 2012 high mileage or 2009 low mileage?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

SvenGB

United Kingdom 
Which RRS: 2012 high mileage or 2009 low mileage?

Just joined the forum after being a member of the D3 forum a few years (and cars) ago, and I need to thank you all for the wealth of advice I’ve gotten, particularly in the Buyers Guide pdf!

I’m now trying to decide between a more recent 2012 RRS with around 120k miles or an older 2009 one with about 80k. I don’t have specific cars in mind yet as there’s a few examples out there and I’d need to research each one in detail, so let’s assume the service history is great on both and there’s no major gremlins.

What exactly has changed on the 2012s compared to the 2009 to warrant the extra risk from mileage? In my D3 the sat nav was painfully slow and juddery, and the cockpit felt a bit rough - I’m hoping for one that’s a bit more refined now.

Reliability and resale value is important to me, I’d rather not get lumped with a hefty bill in the next 2 years, and I’ll likely change the car in a couple years anyway, so if the 2012 will be worthless with 140-150k then that’s a big factor too I suppose.

I’ve been looking at the V6, but open to the V8 if it holds value more.

Post #583416 Tue Jul 02 2019 11:08am
Duc750

United Kingdom 

Big changes between the two, lights to tail gate. interiror changes two versions of infotainment further on and a big change to the gearbox - 6 to 8 speed which in some theories gets rid of the propensity to blow up engines and snap cranks 2012 SDV6 HSE (technically its hers)
2000 D2 TD5 - definitely mine
2005 D3 V8
Metalian Camper trailer for adventures

Post #583420 Tue Jul 02 2019 12:38pm
SvenGB

United Kingdom 

Thanks, that’s really helpful.

I’ve seen the difference in the gearbox and the rear lights, but can’t find how the infotainment system is different - don’t suppose you have a link?

Post #583454 Wed Jul 03 2019 8:54am
Duc750

United Kingdom 

If pre facelift it's totally different, if you're looking at a facelift car the differences are not so apparent but more under the surface. For example on our my13 car the satnav is updated very differently from an my10 facelift.

Personally if it were me (and it was) I'd think about a tdv8 rather than a V6 if looking around 09. 2012 SDV6 HSE (technically its hers)
2005 D3 V8

Post #583455 Wed Jul 03 2019 9:19am
SvenGB

United Kingdom 

How come? Were the V8 more reliable than the V6? I'd prefer the economy over the acceleration personally, but if having a chain instead of a timing belt adds more reliability then maybe thats the way to go?

Post #583457 Wed Jul 03 2019 9:40am
Duc750

United Kingdom 

"Reliable" is an interesting definition and so is economy.
Between the TDV6 and the SDV8 performance and economy are comparable. The TDV8 seems to eventually eat EGRs and Turbos in its life which is expensive but you kind of know it'll happen so you have to budget for it. TDV6 eventually snap cranks some will argue there's has been fine but it seems pretty clear from some of the research done now that its not an if, its a when and its then a total engine replacement before it then happens again (its the engine and box combination causing the problem) servicing the box probably prolongs the interval but its not on the landrover service schedule (against the advice of ZF the gearbox manufacturer).
Petrols seem to have their own problems but they sound nicest. I didn't do too much research as ours will do too many miles to warrant being a petrol.
If it was going to do less that 10k a year we would have definitely gone petrol rather than diesel.
They are all genuinely lovely cars and I challenge you to find many other 10+ year old luxury cars not having similar issues.
Mercs have gearbox issues, BMW have Brake, gearbox and airbag issues. Lexus are a Toyota so they'll have at least 6 recalls in their life.

All of this is just my opinion based on pre purchase research - our final purchase was lead based on production year, history, mileage/condition and dealer provided warranty and we found one car that fitted the bill. It was back in the dealer 3 weeks after purchase for the best part of £5K worth of warranty work (that I knew it would need pre purchase but the dealer denied) 2012 SDV6 HSE (technically its hers)
2005 D3 V8

Post #583464 Wed Jul 03 2019 11:43am
LandPhil

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand

Interesting take on things Duc750.

Firstly, TDV8 owners have experienced turbo failure and IMHO most of them are due to getting the turbo red hot and switching off, thus cutting off the oil supply while very hot. Fairly easy to remedy.

As for the V6, I’ve had 3, done many thousands of miles and never had a problem, although I admit that some have had cranks snap and there does seem to be an issue, but never heard it’s because of the engine gearbox match. As for servicing intervals of the box, I agree that 50,000 is recommended by ZF and I adhere strictly to that.

Post #583475 Wed Jul 03 2019 4:24pm
Duc750

United Kingdom 

To be honest I've always "idled down" every turbo car I've ever had. I've also thoroughly enjoyed exercising the sequential turbos on twin turbo cars on a regular basis

Someone posted the link on here the other day to the guy in SA that has basically got ZF to say "we told landrover not to put that box on that engine with that torque convertor"

Land Rover seemed to have a habit in the naughties of using common automotive components deployed in other cars that worked fine because they were part of the service schedule and expecting them to work with zero servicing. Freelander 2 Haldexes being another one. Fitted to a Volvo, serviced regularly - hardly any issues reported. However fitted to a Freelander which doesn't have a haldex service and it invariably fails. Sadly if it were the US JLR would have been nailed by the "lemon laws" by now but we're not so they get away with it.

As with most things to do with cars "opinions are like ****holes" so I'm trying to share the buying logic we went through recently. There was one year of RRS we wanted if it was a V6 and that was it. Similar for a TDV8 we had one year I wanted (because she likes the facelift exterior and interior more). I take pride in being a car dealers nightmare and will take a car back or reject it on the basis of every single fault i find. I'm quite happy to buy a car privately but if a dealer describes something as in "as New condition" or "perfect" it'll keep going back until it is

She could not be convinced on an SC which was a shame in one sense.

I still maintain there are genuinely no cars on the market like LR cars - each product is unique whether its each series or defender iteration or range rover or discovery versions - they get under your skin and you get addicted to them because there are few vehicles that offer the blend of capability/practicality/luxury in one package. That said I'm aware of the faults on any one that I buy.

Top buy I've seen recently is the MY 12 for sale on here that has had a new engine - proving it can still happen I guess 2012 SDV6 HSE (technically its hers)
2005 D3 V8

Post #583476 Wed Jul 03 2019 4:41pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The 8-speed doesn't change the propensity of 3.0V6 crank failures. They fail at any age on either gearbox.

The TDV8 doesn't "eat EGRs" - indeed the TDV8 is probably the best of the diesels for EGR life. My old TDV8 had its EGRs changed at 170k miles only because they had to be removed to do some other work. Replacing with new made sense but the old ones hadn't actually failed.

TDV8 turbos need looking after - this presents a problem in the second hand market because you have no way of knowing whether they've been allowed to cool / spin down before turning off. If they haven't, you could need new turbos at 40k miles. If they have been looked after then they can go on well past 100k miles.

TDV8s can suffer from exhaust manifold cracking. This is expensive as the manifolds are pricey and require some work to replace. Annoyingly, the FFRR TDV8 uses different - and much cheaper - manifolds.

If it was me, I'd be looking for a 2009 TDV8. No crank issues, no DPF issues, no oil dilution issues. A more relaxed drive because the extra grunt really does make a difference, especially on motorways where a gentle flex of the right foot gives a nice surge past slower vehicles. The SDV6 needs a bigger throttle poke and, being 8 speed, then usually changes down too.

Assume whatever you buy will need a chunk of money spending - whether it's engine, gearbox or suspension, they all need something doing at some point.

Last point - you absolutely need a reputable Land Rover indy for these vehicles. DO NOT USE LR DEALERS! They are rubbish and will cause you much annoyance and expense. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #583477 Wed Jul 03 2019 5:22pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Assume whatever you buy will need a chunk of money spending - whether it's engine, gearbox or suspension, they all need something doing at some point.

That was part of my logic when buying the (at that point) cheapest 2010 TDV8 on Autotrader (from a dealer) - £3k less than the nearest comparison gives me plenty of wiggle room to do the things I expect to have to do at 100k (suspension bushes are a given, the dealer had to drop £1000 on both EGR valves including fitting under warranty, etc).. and then cross my fingers and hope Laughing

Post #583478 Wed Jul 03 2019 5:41pm
Duc750

United Kingdom 

To the OP you're getting some good responses here including some from owners that have had both in your original query I've not had both ends of the spectrum. As a result I can probably not add much further other than to say I stand by the research I did in my purchase decision most of which I have shared here.

(I always think its important to know when to withdraw from these threads)

- Its interesting looking at the Northamptonshire bias in the responses though 2012 SDV6 HSE (technically its hers)
2005 D3 V8

Post #583480 Wed Jul 03 2019 6:21pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

Laughing Laughing I was starting to think that everyone here was from Lincolnshire, reading other threads.. apparently all the Northampton folks came to this thread..

Post #583482 Wed Jul 03 2019 8:04pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

I don't know what your thoughts are on this;
https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic54258.html
May be a bit leggy perhaps? (no affiliation to the seller BTW)

Post #583483 Wed Jul 03 2019 8:25pm
ShooterNeil

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Go for a TDV8
Don’t drive a 5.0 supercharged or you will want that one lol 😂 61 AB 5.0 supercharged rocket
07 HSE TDV8 with lots of toys EGR removed BAS remap
56 HSE WAS FULL OF PROBLEMS

Post #583495 Wed Jul 03 2019 10:47pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Duc750 wrote:

- Its interesting looking at the Northamptonshire bias in the responses though

I bought my TDV8 in Leicestershire and had it serviced , initially, by an Oxfordshire LR dealership before moving to an Oxfordshire indy.

I bought my SDV6 from a forum member in Hampshire (is that right Rob?) before again having it serviced by the same Oxfordshire Indy.

Both vehicles lived/live with me in Northamptonshire.

So that's four counties covered by two vehicles. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #583496 Wed Jul 03 2019 11:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>