RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Electrochromatic Wing Mirror mod.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White
Electrochromatic Wing Mirror mod.

A little back ground first.

Last year I wanted to install the face lift 2014 L319 Disco 4 wing mirrors to my sport so I bought a used unit of ebay to see how it all worked. It was cheap so I was happy to take it apart and give it a clean etc. Everything was good and it had water wading and blindspot alert in the glass......happy days.

So my next step was to buy the other side and it took a while for one at a good price to turn up. One did turn up but it didn't have the water wade or blind spot alert. So I then ended up buying a cheap NEW L405 mirror so I could rob the parts off it to make a pair of mirrors for my car to the same spec.

Fast Forward 8 months and I'm driving down the A17 in traffic and a car drives up behind me with badly adjusted head lights. The interior mirror dims nicely but I'm being blinded by the wing mirrors and I think to my self, I wonder if the electrochromatic wing mirrors can be made to work?

The L320 and L319 never had (AFAIK) Electrochromatic wing mirrors fitted so I thought it was going to be difficult. I looked at the 2002 - 2009 L322 wiring diagram with the idea of trying to retro fit the 02 - 09 L322 mirror and extra wiring for the wing mirrors. I decided against it as the mirror looked a little out of date. Next I looked at the 2010 to 12 L322 and the wiring diagram for that interior mirror showed an 8 way connector like the L320, it visually looked the same as the L320 but it had the needed additional connections. I then took the part number of the 10 - 12 interior mirror that had all the options against it and put it in to ebay search. I made an offer on one of the search results and got it for £15 and it had the additional homelink as well (Not that I need it or have a use for it). I also found as a result of the ebay search that the part number was also fitted to the 2014 -16 L319 (Which is the vehicle it came from) so I knew it would fit the L320.

So the next step was to take a look at what I had in my car. I removed the covers and removed my existing mirror and fitted the new mirror. It was exactly the same except for the homelink button!

10 -12MY L322 Wiring Diagram

Click image to enlarge

10 - 12MY L320 Wiring Diagram

Click image to enlarge

You can see I need to install a White/Green wire to pin 4 and a White/Yellow wire to pin 5, both of a 0.35mm CSA

I couldn't get a White/Green or White/Yellow 0.35mm CSA wire so I decided to go for solid yellow and green instead. Here they are with new crimped terminals fitted.

Next I fitted the wires into cavity 4 & 5 and hooked up a spare wing mirror glass to the other end to see if it would work

Top is normal, bottom is Chromatic active.

So it works, next step is to chase the wires through the car to the left door connector (I already have the wiring from the mirror to the door connector fitted) and then a splice from each wire to the right mirror. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #582049 Sat Jun 08 2019 9:27pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Top work Thumbs Up

Personally I don't like my left mirror dimming, as it can make it difficult to see cyclists. So if you drive it those conditions....

Note to others. It only takes about 2V on the glass to fully dim the mirror.

Post #582078 Sun Jun 09 2019 8:40am
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

Is that on a sport?

It only appears to dim when there is a bright light behind the car. To make it work in the daylight I needed lights on, cover the sensor on the front of the mirror and shine my phones light on the mirror sensor. As soon as I took the light away from the mirror sensor it returned to normal. Hence the poor photos, by the time I’d turned the camera on (and the light went out) the darkness of the glass was returning to normal. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #582090 Sun Jun 09 2019 10:36am
Gerd1986

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

You have a PM Brit Plumber

Post #582100 Sun Jun 09 2019 1:28pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

That was on a jag.
Yeah it looks for a difference between front and rear.

Cyclists have brighter lights these days Rolling Eyes so I would probably seen them in A
Dimmed mirror

Post #582133 Sun Jun 09 2019 8:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1