RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Buying Second Range Rover Sport L494
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

pjbracer1

England 
Buying Second Range Rover Sport L494

Hi Ive had a look around but couldnt really find what I was after!

I just sold my trusted RRS Supercharged Autobiography, and on the hunt for my next beast!.

I am looking at another RRS but the L494 model, I dont do many miles so getting something a few more miles on it isnt so much of a problem but I'm not after a high miler if I'm honest.

After some advice on what to look out for from you experienced guys, I'm ideally after the Autobiography model with the following spec

Any engine range is ok if the price is right but the V6 Diesel seems pretty good and slightly lighter on the pocket so maybe focus on the that one. (I think they changed at the 64reg so the later ones have a bit more BHP but not noticeable)

Rear Entertainment Screens
Sunroof with the blinds
Ideally 360 Cameras (but Ive heard its not great so not too fussed) just thinking of resale later) not many seem to have this and I think the 2015 model is singal cam on the front?)
Parking assist (again probably wont use much but Im a nerd and like a gadget (it might be ok but the UK parking spaces are pretty small so not sure if its much use, but resale later might help?)

Side steps (not sure my old one had them and it finished the car off but quite like the deployable ones to!) if it doesnt I gues I could always retro fit them

Ambient lighting (I think they all have this but not sure)

Incontrol Apps (not sure but i think this is only from 2015 on? they seem like a good idea but I think there is a subscription per year? Are they worth having if a 2013/2014 model ticked all the boxes

Ive read about issues with the earlier models with engine cranks destroying the engines but not warranted by dealers?

Im not sure on when the model changed slightly after the initial launch as there seems to be some differences in the late 2014 models I think this needs to be 64 plates on not sure on What MY numbers they are as some registered in late 2014 might still be 2013/2014 early models?

I know what to look for on the basics such as service history and towbar use etc... just like an idea of what else to look out for, the prices seem a little up and down with some indy garages when compared to some of the more known dealers like Saxton or Inchcape

Is buying private a much bigger risk vs a possible dealer helping you out if there was a problem but the price would be higher

Are there any other major things to look out for? Ive seen a few hybrid ones too that seem ok to me but is it buying into trouble when the batteries fail?

Thanks in advance Ive looked all around the net and got a pretty good idea about them but asking you guys is much more honest

Im thinking 2015 ish if i can but it is also pushing into the Velar territory and I test drove one when they came out and gotta say it was pretty good Only like the D300 SE models or better though as they have the rear exhaust ports that make the rear look better the others look a bit strange! (Thoughts on RRS vs Velar are welcome also)

P

Post #597529 Wed Apr 08 2020 6:10pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If you don't do many miles, get another petrol. Thumbs Up

The V6 diesels have a small chance of crank breaking. It doesn't matter about the age - later ones have done it too.

The ambient lighting I've seen was fairly pointless, but you might like it as a gadget.

If you don't tow big loads (so nothing worse than big caravan) and you don't need the extra capability of the RRS away from tarmac, the Velar would be a nice alternative. If you tow heavy stuff or need low range at all, then the Velar is not an option. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #597533 Wed Apr 08 2020 7:24pm
hoppy_70

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

The later model (euro 6 engine) was more like 65 reg FYI, late 2015. It had a few other subtle differences as well, such as gesture tailgate. Range Rover Sport HSE DYnamic SDV6 Velocity blue 2020 MY
Range Rover sport HSE Dynamic P400e Silver
Range Rover Sport 3.0 SDV6 HSE Dynamic 2016 MY
Range Rover sport 3.6tdv8HSE 2007 Gone
Range Rover sport 2.7tdv6SE 2005 Gone
Range Rover sport 2.7tdv6SE 2007 honey
Range rover Vogue 2005 4.4 - GONE and missed
BMW 535d M sport 2006 - GONE not as missed
BMW X5 4.4 2004 sport - GONE

Post #597534 Wed Apr 08 2020 7:26pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

If your interested in a petrol,this dealer has my old one,know idea why he still has it because it was a really nice motor & he has had it since March last year when he bought it from Guy Salmon who gave me 42k for it in px for the sdv6 I now have.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-Spo...4242049338 Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #597535 Wed Apr 08 2020 7:41pm
pjbracer1

England 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
If you don't do many miles, get another petrol. Thumbs Up

The V6 diesels have a small chance of crank breaking. It doesn't matter about the age - later ones have done it too.

The ambient lighting I've seen was fairly pointless, but you might like it as a gadget.

If you don't tow big loads (so nothing worse than big caravan) and you don't need the extra capability of the RRS away from tarmac, the Velar would be a nice alternative. If you tow heavy stuff or need low range at all, then the Velar is not an option.

Cheers Mate the Petrol is defo an option the last one was great fun on a motorway when you have a 5 series behind you thinking you are tractor in his way!
The only reason for the diesel maybe being tight!

Post #597536 Wed Apr 08 2020 7:49pm
pjbracer1

England 

Tyrefitter wrote:
If your interested in a petrol,this dealer has my old one,know idea why he still has it because it was a really nice motor & he has had it since March last year when he bought it from Guy Salmon who gave me 42k for it in px for the sdv6 I now have.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-Spo...4242049338

She looks pretty good but was after a different colour combo my last one was like that, fancy grey or silver with black leather.

Guy salmon must have taken a hit on that then! You did well

Post #597537 Wed Apr 08 2020 7:54pm
Tyrefitter

I don’t think it was GS who took the hit,,when the guy first had it up for sale about this time last year it started at £37500 then it’s just kept coming down in price,he seems to have the same stock for ages so could be a coverup for something else if you know what I mean Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #597539 Wed Apr 08 2020 8:21pm
Ash3

United Kingdom 

Hmm wonder how much he has paid ebay to keep it listed.

I advertised on ebay last year and they were charging 11.99 for a 10 day listing.

Lovely car btw...

Post #597542 Wed Apr 08 2020 8:40pm
Tyrefitter

It was a nice car,the only reason I sold it is because it was black,after I had my last black car a L320 I said never again & this came up at Hatfields when I wanted a SC so I jumped in feet first,looking back I wish I’d never sold it & had it wrapped a different colour,I’m tempted to see if he wants to do a deal with the my15 AB sdv6 I now have & get it back. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #597543 Wed Apr 08 2020 9:22pm
PEACHY

England 

If I can remember your original list here is my honest & hopefully unbiased reply.
360 cameras are in my opinion ok for parking & drive through restaurants - McDonalds drive through lanes are a bit tight Rolling Eyes I would rather have them than not.
Rear entertainment is overrated - the tv signal drops out when in certain areas or at certain speeds. The dvd is better but I’d opt for a L494 with WiFi - then buy the Ipad holders - every kid as an iPad or some kind of tablet - imo rear entertainment is a thing of the past Whistle
The sunroof again is based on opinions- I would rather a full pano roof - less hassle & a more luxurious feel imo. They all come with the relevant blinds.
I had park assist - never used. It is a nice gimmick but again not something that I would look for when buying.
Ambient lighting is a joke Censored
Both the L494 I have owned have had deployable side steps - wouldn’t be without them Thumbs Up
Incontrol upto £260 extra per annum but it’s saved me on insurance & caught dodgy dealers out on more than one occasion. Definitely a yes.
If you can find a Petrol with the spec then all the better but my diesel shifts like Censored when it needs to Bow down
Velar Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #597546 Wed Apr 08 2020 10:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pjbracer1

England 

thanks guys your train of though is similar to mine not fussed on the rear entertainment either, I dont have kids but I know when selling my last one it was a question I got asked alot! So only thinking resale and the speakers buy I guess ipad would do the trick!
Incontrol was only on the later models am I right? The 2013 -2015 didnt have this or did they! Its a Censored ! Ive found one that ticks all my boxes, price is ok too if a little high. its a 2013 model Indus Silver but has 360 cams rear screens and low mileage full dealer history, I'm not in a rush but dont want to miss out either! Indus Silver looks to have a peal effect.

My last one was pretty good to me only really breaks and servicing, had an airbag ecu go after 2nd battery change in 4yrs, I know the new ones are more complicated though any known issues?

Post #597548 Thu Apr 09 2020 12:38am
Tyrefitter

My15 has the app to track the car,I have the incontrol remote which I renewed at iirc £20 per annum so I can keep a eye on journeys especially when it goes in for service ect.I didn’t bother renewing the incontrol secure as my insurance that I’ve just renewed yesterday doesn’t ask for a tracker & if the car gets stolen I’ve got GAP insurance so I don’t want the car back. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #597550 Thu Apr 09 2020 7:14am
teldec

United Kingdom 

i would also consider the sdv8 it is a beautiful engine and amazingly economical for a 4.4L, comes with the remote heater for winter as standard i think.
i have the in control app but thieves can disable the land rover tracker in no time, i have an additional tracker as well and gap insurance

Post #597590 Thu Apr 09 2020 11:16pm
pjbracer1

England 

I like the idea of incontrol apps but as far as a tracker is concerned to be honest if my car gets stolen by some chavs, Im not sure I really want it back if I'm honest as I doubt the insurers will cover any "ragging" or harsh driving that is gets put through, the invisible damage you cant see!

I assume there are no remote features features on the earlier models? Also does anyone know if they all have HDD storage for music if the premium stereo option is fitted? Or is it only bluetooth streaming.

I take it when connecting an iphone you dont get to use the likes of spotify from the main screen unless is the my15 onwards model?

Sorry for all the questions guys but appreciate the help, its a shame there isnt this type of information available on the LR site detailing what was available on each model through the years, but I guess they only want to push the latest even though the second hand market still bags them a few quid in servicing.

Also this one im looking at which is 2013 AB has soft close doors? Im not fussed about this option but is it any good most of the people I give a lift to seem to close doors like an angry gorrila so probably wont be a benefit!

Post #597605 Fri Apr 10 2020 4:04pm
pjbracer1

England 

teldec wrote:
i would also consider the sdv8 it is a beautiful engine and amazingly economical for a 4.4L, comes with the remote heater for winter as standard i think.
i have the in control app but thieves can disable the land rover tracker in no time, i have an additional tracker as well and gap insurance

Yeah the SDV8 seems to be pretty good and still better fuel wise than my old SC do you know how it compares to the v6 performance wise?

Post #597606 Fri Apr 10 2020 4:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>