RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > TDV8 Oil Change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Meiang

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
TDV8 Oil Change

I have just changed the oil and filter on my TDV8. This was my first time that I have changed the oil. I had to raise the vehicle by 100mm in offroad mode (on two pavers per side under the from wheels) to get to the sump plugs. I was expecting to refill 9.5l of oil as per the handbook for an oil change with the filter. I only managed to get about 7.2-7.3l in with the dip stick at the full level.
Would having the vehicle raised by 100mm at the front have caused the oil refill amount to be 2l less than the stated capacity. I would expect this to reduce the refill amount by a small amount, but not 2l.

Removing the rear sump plug (vertical) only allowed a small amount of oil to drain (less than 0.5l). Removing the front sump plug (horizontal) allowed the remainder of the oil in the sump to gush out. I waited until all the oil had drained out before fitting new sump plugs. I had put a piece of cardboard to the side of the horizontal plug to prevent draining oil splashing on a steel member - but this caused an awfull mess. What is the electrical connector for on the sump next to the sump plug.

Post #609686 Mon Feb 08 2021 2:18pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

It's probably an oil temperature sensor

If you take it off the bricks, and wait till the next morning you should get an accurate dip stick reading

Post #609689 Mon Feb 08 2021 3:34pm
Meiang

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

I have added no oil since and driven about 50km. The oil dip stick still shows the sump is full. But 2l less than the specified oil fill is a bit unnevering.

Post #609690 Mon Feb 08 2021 3:51pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Sensor next to the horizontal drain plug is the oil temperature sensor. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #609694 Mon Feb 08 2021 5:21pm
Seatown

Location: Moray - if you're a courier, yes it's mainland UK & no it's not in the Highlands

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Apart from the car not being level when the sump is drained the only thing that springs to mind is did you change the filter first as per the w/shop manual, before draining the sump?
I think that there will be some oil in the filter and housing so you first undo the housing a few turns to let the oil drain back into the engine before you remove the old filter. I can't imagine it's as much as 2l though.
Every time I do mine it takes around 9 litres to refill then a minor top-up on the dip stick after a short run. 2010 TDV8 - current - my first RRS, loving it so far......
2005 Cayenne S - handling defied physics and what a sound, so sod the mpg!
1995 Disco TDI- surprisingly reliable, shame about the peeling dash & other trim
Lots of other non 4X4's in between times.........

Post #609738 Tue Feb 09 2021 4:33pm
GT RRS

United States 

That is quite strange - the LR dealers over here perform a topside change and that’s what I did. Wasn’t too keen on rolling on the floor and pulling off all the skid plates underneath just to get to the drain plug, and the filter is also topside - on your next oil change I highly recommend it. Also you mention a dipstick - don’t have one on my 2012, it’s electronically calculated and displayed on the dash. But if yours shows full, should be all good.

Vincit qui se vincit

Post #609746 Tue Feb 09 2021 6:34pm
Kev1bikes

United Kingdom 

Changed Oil / Filter in my TDV8 I also only put about 7 litres in and Looks High on dip stick.

Wonder if JLR have correct figures LOL

Post #610742 Sat Feb 27 2021 8:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1