33%  [2]
Total Votes: 6

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

gdias

Portugal 
RR sport SDV6 Hybrid MY15

Hello,

I'm newer on this forum! I'm a L322 owner i have an TDV8 from 2007 and is my 6th Ranger Rover.

I never had a Sport, but i'm thinking to replace my fatty and go to a sport as the L405 is to expensive, and i'm quite getting in love with the sports since i'm searching for one!

I saw a RR sport SDV6 Hybrid MY15 December 2015 with 44.000km and the car looks great, but i have no experience and knowledge in this cars and i have some doubts and need some help please!

- 1st the Hybrid version of the SDV6 are reliable?

- 2nd what kind of MPG i can expect?

- 3th the in control apps is also possible to get Spotify on the MY15 or only in MY17 with the new in control touch pro? I know the car play is only available in MY17 but with updates in MY15 is possible to use the Spotify in apps?

- 4th Should i have scare about the SDV6 engine crankshaft problem? Or is only a few % have this problem?

- 5th Would i get a more reliable car than my actual TDV8?

- 6th The SD4 is a option to consider? or is a weak engine? less problems than the SDV6?

I know this is a lot of questions, but this all the doubts i have in my mind to buy an RRsport and change from my L322.

Thanks to all! I hope you guys can help me and clarify me!

King Regards,
Goncalo

Post #581589 Thu May 30 2019 10:36am
thomas brown

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Hi Goncalo.

I was in the same situation as yourself. I had a MY2014 L494 HSE Dynamic and wanted either a SDV8 or a Hybrid.

I done alot of research and went for the SDV6 Hybrid in the end. This is how I looked at it road tax is £520 compared to my £165 so that helps. Plus if you drive it right with the hybrid I get around 40mpg around town and well over 50mpg on a long run which is far better then the SDV8.

Don't get me wrong I love the SDV8 but the Hybrid is a step further with tech and it is faster too. A friend of mine has a 2014 SDV8 and he can't keep up with me in a race Mr. Green plus my mpg is in a different league Rolling Eyes

The early Hybrids came with 340bhp but the later around 65plate onwards came with 354bhp as the SDV6 had a retune. Mine does have addblue being the 354bhp model which makes the road tax even cheaper. I must admit when you put it in dynamic mode and sport mode on the gear lever wow it's quick and certainly makes me smile Mr. Green

I guess the only downside is there is more tech to go wrong but so far I've had no issues and most people I've spoken too about these give them good reviews with reliability.

Alot of people will say the Hybrid's are alot heavier etc...... But all the hybrid tech only weighs in at 120kg extra and its much lighter all together then a SDV8 or supercharged v8. So a win there too.

Plus it's fun using the EV mode in manual or automatic it's a silent beast Rolling Eyes You can get 1mile full EV range but it's not really all to do with that the EV system is always working with the SDV6 so it's always assisting and making more mpg all the time. But if you need to get up and go it really does go it's a beast Thumbs Up plus you can hold the battery charge for when you want too which is great, that way you can keep a full charge when need be.

I certainly think it's the best option over performance and MPG you certainly won't regret it thats for sure. Another plus you don't have the issue of having to charge it with mains power which makes this a brilliant motor for long motorway journey's or city work. It's the best of both.

I like the new Phev apart from that little petrol engine but for me i do long journey's and having something like the Phev running out of electric then running on the petrol engine which at best will only do 25mpg is no good for me but perfect for city people who can just about use only electric.

So yea the SDV6 Hybrid is great and I'm very impressed by it's performance and certainly my MPG.
Don't look back at just a basic diesel go for the hybrid that's my opinion. Once you learn the different ways how to drive it you will gain even more form it.

Today I done a short run into town in Great Yarmouth from my house and back about 35miles most of it is back B roads a bit of A road and the rest town driving in traffic I got 37% engine off and done 46mpg. So got over a 1/4 of my journey with the engine off Mr. Green But that was with me doing it in Manual EV mode which I prefer then Auto mode.
There is also ways how you can charge the battery very quickly, when doing higher speeds and accelerating over 50mph press the EV button this will then charge the batteries even quicker. To be honest in a few miles you will almost have a full battery Thumbs Up The system is impressive in Auto mode it charges very fast too.

So yea well chuffed.

If you look at you tube and search for the silk trail 2013 you will see they drive SDv6 Hybrid's from Solihull to India where Tata main headquarters is to test the Hybrid's out.

Take one for a test drive you will be impressed.

Any questions I will be happy to help. Have a look at this link it's all about when I bought my hybrid from day one pictures etc Thumbs Up

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic51801.html

Tom Thumbs Up Indus Silver / Santorini Black Roof MY16 Autobiography Dynamic Hybrid 354bhp. 22" Style 504 Alloys. Lunar Grey / Ebony Seats and Interior. Surround Cameras, Meridian Signature Reference sound system 1700watts, Adaptive cruise & Queue Assist, Blind spot closing vehicle , Adaptive Xenon Headlights, 4zone Climate, infra-red reflective glass, deployable side steps, and a few more extras .......

Post #581654 Thu May 30 2019 10:04pm
gdias

Portugal 

Dear Thomas!

What i can say after reading your answer!!!

I'm so grateful, Bow down it was so well explained your personal experience of the Hybrid that i'm already convinced!

I searched a lot regard this topics and i didn't really found this kind of information and this detailed explanation.

I'm quite impressed with the MPG... as i'm used to the TDV8.

I'm still only worried about the SDV6 engines and the history's of the crankshaft problems. I want to change my L322 to a more reliable car...

Your RR looks great thanks for sharing!

Can anyone still clarify me about the the in control apps. If is also possible to get Spotify on the MY15 or only in MY17 with the new in control touch pro? I know the car play is only available in MY17 but with updates in MY15 is possible to use the Spotify in apps?

Many Thanks
All the Best,
Gonçalo

Post #581678 Fri May 31 2019 10:03am
thomas brown

Hi Goncalo.

Yea the MPG is pretty impressive I must say for such a big vehicle. Much better then the TDV8.

The issues with the SDV6 are very rare considering how many of them there are out there you only hear of a few having issues on this site.

The main crank issues come from this, the issue comes down to oil dilution from dpf regens, when they inject the extra fuel to make the exhaust temp hotter this burns off the soot in the dpf to unblock it but some of this fuel passes by the piston rings due to it not being on a compression stroke this causes the piston rings not being expanded tight against the cylinder this allowing some fuel to pass by the piston rings which then goes into the sump and dilutes the engine oil, over time if the oil is not monitored it can get dangerously high of fuel this damaging the oil viscosity and lubricating properties if the engine oil which is what causes the main shells to pick up on the crank causing engine failure!

I take oil samples myself and post them off to be checked every 4k this gives me a indication of when I should change my oil Thumbs Up

So yea the SDV6 is a amazing engine and like any diesel and petrol now usual let down by the good old emission control ! Even petrols now have a Dpf so those good old days are gone.

That's why i still keep my good old faithful discovery TD5 Mr. Green

About the incontrol apps, I never have used spotify but I have Google play and this plays through the music app on the incontrol which is brilliant, I will try and see if I can download spotify for you and get it to work. I'm away from home today in my campervan so will di it tomorrow for you Thumbs Up
In general the incontrol apps is pretty good I really like it, it does what i want but alot of people have different expectations. Here is a link to show you a bit about it with the music app etc

The incontrol part where you can check all info about your car is brilliant though with climate functions, fuel, mileage, lock car unlock car, route history etc. Plus you have the SOS feature and the service features too which is all brilliant. These work separately from your phone so if your phone is flat you will still get out which I think is excellent.

Around 65 plate as I said you should have the 354bhp which can also have the addblue which I would prefer not too have as it's more emission control rubbish but with the addblue it makes your hybrid Euro 6 this keeping the road tax down and if you live in a city makes you not having to pay extra charges for emissions etc.

By the way when I look at land rovers approved used website they show 65plate hybrids as 340bhp Shocked that's wrong, all 65 plate onwards are the 354bhp models. As usual landrover dealers know nothing about hybrids well not many at least !!

Hope some of this is helpful.

Cheers.

Tom Mr. Green Indus Silver / Santorini Black Roof MY16 Autobiography Dynamic Hybrid 354bhp. 22" Style 504 Alloys. Lunar Grey / Ebony Seats and Interior. Surround Cameras, Meridian Signature Reference sound system 1700watts, Adaptive cruise & Queue Assist, Blind spot closing vehicle , Adaptive Xenon Headlights, 4zone Climate, infra-red reflective glass, deployable side steps, and a few more extras .......

Post #581715 Sat Jun 01 2019 9:28am
gdias

Portugal 

Hello Tom,

Again thanks for the detailed explanation about the crankshaft engine problem origin!

Now i'm curious regard the test oil samples! How you do that? That's very clever!!!

About the incontrol apps i searched a lot regard the spotify, but i only found information related to latests models 2017 with the touch pro. The system before i can't find any information. I use the spotify everywhere so it will great if i can use and control in the RRS.

Many Thanks for you support and help! precious informations!

All the best,
Gonçalo

Post #581723 Sat Jun 01 2019 10:42am
ilard

United Kingdom 

Agree.

Tom, you take samples every 4k. What has been the oil change recommendations vs what would have been standard manufacturer instructions? And what sort of mileage do you do? L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #581761 Sun Jun 02 2019 7:03am
thomas brown

Morning guys.

Yes I know it's a bit ocd to do oil samples every 4k or every 6 months but just want to look after my SDV6 hybrid. I will change the oil to land rovers recommendation only if the oil dilution is below 2-3% oil dilution. Mr. Green

I do mostly A, B roads and town driving during the week maybe using it 3 times a week max as I use my campervan too. I don't go too far with it mostly 30 mile every time i go out in it. I reckon i do about 8k a year max with it.

With doing the oil samples if the dilution gets to about 2-3 % i change the oil no question i do it myself even if its inbetween the landrover services.
I have the servicing / oil changed by landrover for the warranty as i still have 1 1/2 years Ieft on this, soon as I get it home I get a oil sample so I have a base to start from.

I have had the oil changed in March since the last service but I never do the mileage so I will do a oil sample in September and see how she is but to be honest I'm sure it will be fine. This is the company I use who are very good http://www.theoillab.co.uk/product-categor...gIvhvD_BwE

Its easy to suck the oil out just get a suction syringe and small pipe to fit down the suction pipe on the engine oil pipe.

Definitely the only way to keep modern diesels safe this is. Thumbs Up

Cheers. Tom. Indus Silver / Santorini Black Roof MY16 Autobiography Dynamic Hybrid 354bhp. 22" Style 504 Alloys. Lunar Grey / Ebony Seats and Interior. Surround Cameras, Meridian Signature Reference sound system 1700watts, Adaptive cruise & Queue Assist, Blind spot closing vehicle , Adaptive Xenon Headlights, 4zone Climate, infra-red reflective glass, deployable side steps, and a few more extras .......

Post #581764 Sun Jun 02 2019 8:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1