Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > P400 - I6 Engine Feedback Topic
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

DangerMouseUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black
P400 - I6 Engine Feedback Topic

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd break this out into another topic as I'm interested in the HSTs and haven't driven a JLR product with that engine.

Can anyone who owns one chime in on their experiences and what the engine is like to any other LR engines they've had?

Thanks!
DM Non JLR Vehicle

Post #587809 Mon Sep 30 2019 5:52pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

I can only repeat what I've already written in another thread. It is very smooth,quiet and powerful. I've always preferred a petrol engine over diesel as they are so much more refined which made this an easy choice for me. Yes it has to rev a little more than the diesel but this 6 cylinder engine does it so easily. Fuel consumption is 25/28 depending on where you're driving so not a huge amount worse than diesel and petrol is less expensive. Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #587811 Mon Sep 30 2019 6:34pm
DangerMouseUK

Hi Tim,

Thanks for that and the info on the other post.

What rough mpg are you getting at the moment and what rough driving are you doing? Non JLR Vehicle

Post #588253 Mon Oct 07 2019 9:57pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

I haven't check the accuracy of the trip computer yet but if its similar to my last Sport that was 8% optimistic as were previous LR and Jaguars that I've owned. A local trip of 4 miles each way into town from a cold start shows 22mpg on the trip. Recent longer journeys of 38 miles and 67 miles each way have shown 31/32 mpg. So overall I reckon it will return a real figure of 25/2 7mpg for my type of driving. Now the engine is bedding in its get even better feeling quite powerful. Economy has certainly improved with the increased mileage. Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #588259 Tue Oct 08 2019 8:08am
pko

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

I've had mine in an HST for 3 weeks & 500 miles, including 200 miles towing a caravan, & it is quite superb. It replaces a 2018 hse dynamic diesel. Towing wise, it makes more effort and is up & down the auto a lot more, but this is understandable due to different engine characteristics, but it has no problem delivering the power just not so laid back, On the onboard display, the diesel did 24 mpg towing & this one 19 mpg, but the engine is new. Solo, I could get 34/37 on the diesel & 29 on the petrol. however, when you give it full beans it really does shift, & sound superb. Solo, it is very quiet & smooth & I wouldn't go back to the diesel. It also has a larger fuel tank to compensate for less mpg, so it will still go as far between fill ups. That's my two pennyworth anyway. current 2015 hse dynamic, grey.

Post #588263 Tue Oct 08 2019 11:14am
scriv

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

i had an HST as a loaner while i was awaiting delivery of my SVR.
i also found it ok but after 7 weeks would have rather had a sdv6 didnt find the fuel consumption great in fact it was worse than my SVR.The cold start i found embarrassing its trying to be an svr and clearly is not.
Comfort wise it was excellent but really didnt like the material used on the steering wheel or gear selector

Post #588272 Tue Oct 08 2019 1:24pm
DangerMouseUK

Seems like its an interesting engine to have.

400bhp must be ok - I drove the old V6 380bhp engine and whilst it was revvy once it got going it really flew.

Need to take one for a drive.

The only thing I don't personally like is the suede steering wheel with no option to change it !! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #588273 Tue Oct 08 2019 1:40pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

No suede steering wheel on mine, were you driving an HST? Tim

Post #588280 Tue Oct 08 2019 4:20pm
DangerMouseUK

Yes was HST.

Need to look at HSE Dynamic!!

Can't understand why they won't just Autobiography Dynamic the thing its the only MHEV they have in their range at the moment makes no sense to have it in limited trims. Non JLR Vehicle

Post #588300 Tue Oct 08 2019 9:26pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

You said this about the Autobiography before, whats the attraction of an AB over the HSE or HSE Dynamic? Can understand your view of the HST entirely. Tim

Post #588308 Tue Oct 08 2019 10:10pm
DangerMouseUK

Hi Tim,

It all depends on the options you want on the car.

If you want the HSE Dynamic option set then obviously thats perfect.

But there's a point at which when you keep adding options to the HSE Dynamic it becomes cheaper to get an Autobiography.

The paints cost more, the wheels cost more, headlining, sound system, adaptive cruise, by the time you've thrown a few options on there that you want, you've got into Autbiography pricing.

Just depends I guess.

Thanks
DM Non JLR Vehicle

Post #588311 Wed Oct 09 2019 12:25am
timhum

United Kingdom 

I see what you mean. I'm not really into many of the options so the HSE with few changes listed in my signature worked well for me. By the way I managed what I thought a pretty good discount on it as well, 7%. Tim

Post #588323 Wed Oct 09 2019 8:27am
DangerMouseUK

7% is a very decent discount on a factory ordered car !

At the right time of the month on a car they have in stock you might get a bit better but then you'd have to take what they have laying around which isn't really the same thing !!

Looking at the HSE Dynamic trim now, looks pretty good actually !! Non JLR Vehicle

Post #588324 Wed Oct 09 2019 10:14am
timhum

United Kingdom 

The did try to say that as it was a new model and factory ordered there couldn't really be a discount. My private thoughts were that new car sales are in the doldrums, Jaguar/LR is having a pretty torrid time and there was very little action in the showroom. The conversation went along the lines that I didn't need to change but if we could do a deal I would place an order with them there and then and also pointed out the large discounts on stock cars. It was a very friendly negotiation that lasted perhaps an hour with the sales guy referring to people in the back office. Do they really discuss the deal or do they just have a cuppa to make us think something is being negotiated? Anyway this went on a couple of times together with calls to LR. Got close to my target but wanted another £1k which required another call to LR. They wished to support the deal and so an order was placed and deposit paid. I must admit I really enjoy negotiating for new cars, the salesman was very good and I like to think both of us were happy with the deal.

One question, am I right in thinking that salespeople get payed a flat commission on a sale rather than a percentage of the price. I ask as in the last couple of negotiations there is no pressure to add extras as there seemed to be in the old days.
In this case I also refused all the usual GAP, wheel,tyre, dent, etc insurance with no reaction from the salesman. Tim

Post #588328 Wed Oct 09 2019 1:40pm
DangerMouseUK

Depends on the dealership chain I guess.

Its also different for 2nd hand and new.

Let me dig around and see what I can find, someone else might know though? Non JLR Vehicle

Post #588347 Wed Oct 09 2019 7:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1