RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Deployable Side Steps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Welshian

Wales 
Deployable Side Steps

For the last week I have been flying with one wing in and one wing out, since the drivers side retracts I assume the electronics is functioning correctly, and as there is a little movement when I try manual intervention, its not seized. I conclude that the motor/connector/harness is the culprit. I have located both the motor and connector but am at a loss as to how to test other than replacement trial and error principle, help would be most appreciated, thanks. RRS2 HSE Chile Red
1955 Morris Minor lovingly fitted every nut and bolt

Post #607774 Tue Dec 22 2020 8:36pm
HXM

United Kingdom 

Mine sometimes struggles - LR just lubed it up and cleaned it. If it gets sticky it won't retract fully and will return to it's previous state. Think there is a sensor on it or something. MY15.5 HSE - SDV6 - Santorini Black

Post #607832 Thu Dec 24 2020 9:41am
Welshian

Wales 

Ok thanks for the information, just tried that but sadly no effect Big Cry I'll try soaking in some more.
Thanks, Ian RRS2 HSE Chile Red

Post #607865 Fri Dec 25 2020 11:44am
Spleen

United Kingdom 

I find that cycling them on and off usually frees them up, sometimes I stand on it and give it some welly as well. Last time I went to my indy he got an airline onto it to clean out the crud and lubed it up as well, been ok since. He did say that there's lots of alloy in the mechanism and can corrode. Ferrari F430 Spider F1
MY17 RRS AB V6
2CV6 Special

Post #607961 Tue Dec 29 2020 10:05am
Lindab

United Kingdom 

When specifying my car I spent a lot of time wondering about adding them. They do look good, but where they are & with the usual road muck, never mind winter conditions which makes it ten times worse, I thought they may give problems so went for fixed steps & think I made the correct choice. Hope they are easy fixes

Post #607965 Tue Dec 29 2020 12:20pm
Drewlr4

United Kingdom 

The steps themselves come off really easily, just 4 torx head screws two for each bracket and then a good thump from the underside of the steps once the screws are removed as they sit on the brackets in a channel that can get slightly corroded. The bracket closest to the front of the vehicle is non mechanical and used only for support so should be free and easy to work back and forward to lube and clean (when in good order it swing freely with no effort to move it). Without the steps attached the mechanical bracket to the rear may be happier to open and close as the steps are quite heavy so making it easier to clean up and lube. Whole job shouldn't take more then an hour.
Thumbs Up

Post #607969 Tue Dec 29 2020 2:30pm
Welshian

Wales 

OK thanks for all the help, I'll have them off for a inspection, cleansing and lubricating session. RRS2 HSE Chile Red

Post #607971 Tue Dec 29 2020 2:48pm
RRS_2022

United Kingdom 

Are deployable steps worth having. We are due to collect a 67 low mileage RRS autobiography next week and it hasn't nothing at the moment. My Mrs is only 5ft 4 so would need something but cant decide between fixed steps which we have had before on disco 4 or deployables. Would appreciate anyone's advice especially from a financial point of view.

Post #607996 Wed Dec 30 2020 6:05pm
Spleen

United Kingdom 

When we bought ours it came with deployable steps (Approved Used) which I was largely indifferent about but now wouldn't be without them and I'm perfectly fit and not short. They are, however, not cheap if you go OEM, around £3.5k I believe. Talking with my indy about them and he fits aftermarkets for around £1500 and says they look exactly the same. Has customers travelling a reasonable distance to have them fitted apparently. Ferrari F430 Spider F1
MY17 RRS AB V6
2CV6 Special

Post #607998 Wed Dec 30 2020 6:28pm
Welshian

Wales 

From my point of view they are great, saves getting into the "should I shouldn't I" raise and lower every time discussion and if you ask my wife, 5'4" she swears by them. I should add that the wading sensor is deactivated, or so I'm led to believe. Thumbs Up RRS2 HSE Chile Red

Post #607999 Wed Dec 30 2020 6:39pm
RRS_2022

United Kingdom 

Spleen wrote:
When we bought ours it came with deployable steps (Approved Used) which I was largely indifferent about but now wouldn't be without them and I'm perfectly fit and not short. They are, however, not cheap if you go OEM, around £3.5k I believe. Talking with my indy about them and he fits aftermarkets for around £1500 and says they look exactly the same. Has customers travelling a reasonable distance to have them fitted apparently.

I agree I wouldn't go OEM unless I sourced some directly on the used marked i.e. Fleabay or here. I was looking at third party in particular Pegasus 4x4 but I'm just undecided whether these would cause any system issues or warranty related concerns.

Post #608000 Wed Dec 30 2020 7:00pm
Spleen

United Kingdom 

My indy reckons on about four to six hours to fit them in order to avoid any system errors. As for warranty no reason why they should affect it, it's a standalone system and doesn't affect anything else? Ferrari F430 Spider F1
MY17 RRS AB V6
2CV6 Special

Post #608002 Wed Dec 30 2020 7:31pm
RRS_2022

United Kingdom 

Would you mind sharing which indy this is? You aren't a million miles away from me. Could be worth a visit.

Post #608004 Wed Dec 30 2020 7:35pm
Spleen

United Kingdom 

Spleen wrote:
My indy reckons on about four to six hours to fit them in order to avoid any system errors. As for warranty no reason why they should affect it, it's a standalone system and doesn't affect anything else?

Newbury 4x4, they do all my routine stuff. They are also tapped into the LR system so if you give them your VIN they can pull up everything that's needed. Literally 2 mins walk from Thatcham rail station, Jason says that he gets customers from London for the steps who leave the car, go back home on the train, and come back the next day. Ferrari F430 Spider F1
MY17 RRS AB V6
2CV6 Special

Post #608005 Wed Dec 30 2020 7:47pm
RRS_2022

United Kingdom 

Lovely, thank you I was looking at them as they fit Pegasus products. I was lucky enough to get some help from Peachy which solved my problem, big thank you to him.

Post #608009 Wed Dec 30 2020 9:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>