RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > MY19 owners - cruise with steering assist?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

ilard

United Kingdom 
MY19 owners - cruise with steering assist?

Has anyone spent any time with a car fitted with ‘adaptive cruise with steering assist’, please? Not regular adaptive cruise nor the lane keep assist but this new ‘steering assist’ technology. Does it successfully keep the car centred in the lane? Is it any use anywhere other than a straight motorway? Any thoughts welcome! It’s a pricey option because you’re forced to take things like park assist with it too, unfortunately. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #572314 Thu Jan 03 2019 8:44pm
richamartin

2013 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

I'd be really keen to know more about this too..... I have specced it on mine in the hope it works like numerous other systems, but unfortunately it's a September delivery!

Frustrating that is had to be bundled with so much other rubbish! Censored Now
-----------------------
2022 SVR
2021 Bentley Continental GT
2020 Defender 110
2022 Defender 90 V8
Plus 16 other toys! Wink

Post #572323 Thu Jan 03 2019 9:24pm
Gijsv

Netherlands 

I have a RRS 2019 with the steering assist. I ordered the car in march '18 and then the steering assist wasn't an option. So when the 2019 options were revealed, i wanted the steering assist option. So i changed the order.
I have driven 4500km and last week i drove about 1200km for a skiing holiday. So i got enough time to test the difference between steering and lane keep assist.

When driving long parts the steering assist is too much present for a comfortable drive. It is constantly trying to keep the car exactly in the middle of the road. So it is constantly correcting you and if you hold the steering wheel loosely it reminds you every minute to hold the wheel...
The only part where it might be handy is driving in slow traffic. Then you watch everything around the car without risking a collision.

Lane keeping assist is much more useful! When driving it reminds you when you come too close to the road marking. There is a small jerk in the steering wheel and if you come really close to a car next to you, there is a reminder in the control panel, a sound and the wing mirror is blinking as well.

So to summarise:
If i knew then what i know now, i would not pay for the option... Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic | Loire Blue | 2019

Post #572338 Thu Jan 03 2019 10:08pm
ayu

United Kingdom 

I have this option and yes it does keep the car centered in the lane relatively well on the motorway. Obviously it is not perfect and sometimes it will lose track of one or both lane markings so you always have to be ready to take over. You also have to keep at least one hand on the steering wheel, or the system will complain.

Post #572348 Fri Jan 04 2019 12:53am
SVR575

United Kingdom 

I would not want that! SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #572355 Fri Jan 04 2019 9:25am
lee551247

United Kingdom 

Me neither Paul, drove the new X5 with this on and its a pain in the backside, unsettles the car in the bends as it thinks you are going to cross the line and steers in the opposite direction! Evil or Very Mad 2018 Range Rover Sport SVR arrived but now rejected!
2019 Range Rover Sport SVR in Madagascar orange arrived but never heard it coming but now rejected!
2019 Range Rover Sport SVR in Madagascar orange incoming

Post #572363 Fri Jan 04 2019 10:39am
RRSman

United Kingdom 

I agree too - it's quite an early version of "self driving" tech from JLR - a long way to go to get to Tesla standards IMHO.

Post #572365 Fri Jan 04 2019 10:47am
ilard

United Kingdom 

Feedback from rrsport forum:

* reminded too much of Steering assist’s prescience. Lane Keep assist is much more useful. Would not pay for Steering assist next time around.
* yes, it keeps the car centered... but it makes mistakes.
* (of an X5 with similar tech) it’s a pain in the backside.

On the basis of this feedback so far I am not inclined to spec it...

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=572323 L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #572411 Fri Jan 04 2019 8:03pm
Garry

United Kingdom 

I have it. Use it to suit the journey, good on motorways especially at night. But just another tool to help keep you literally on the straight and narrow. No regrets on this or any of my options this time.

Post #572419 Fri Jan 04 2019 8:53pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

My update just now was aimed at the full fat forum who seemed to have less to say on this topic... and I fat fingered it, to the wrong site.

Thanks, Garry, it feels like yours may be the first categoric thumbs up so far. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #572420 Fri Jan 04 2019 8:57pm
jonathana13

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up from me too

It works very well, I don't like the LKA as this fights you the steering assist disables when you indicate so allows you to change lanes unlike the tesla system that tries to do it for you. Luckily you can configure so its just SA when using adaptive cruise.

Did quite a lot of miles on the A9 last year and was perfect there, just set it off you go.

My only complaint is it doesn't warn when it loses the lanes so you start to drift not an issue as still paying attention but it can unnerve you.

One thing the tesla did that was annoying was as soon as you moved the steering wheel it disabled cruise and the steering assist, the JLR version allows you to override temporarily and keep the adaptive cruise on so it takes over again without having to press any buttons.

Post #572649 Tue Jan 08 2019 11:13pm
rdrw

United Kingdom 

I use steering assist everyday on my commute and am very glad I spec’d it. It’s happiest in wide lanes, but copes fine with narrow, curving, busy lanes of London A40 traffic. It takes a bit of getting used to i.e it doesn’t keep the same lane positioning as I would choose, and it isn’t as smooth at steering as a human, but it’s worth persevering with. As commented above, the major annoyance is that there is no audible warning that it can no longer track the Lane markings (only really an issue if it’s dark and outside lane has no painted line down the right) and has stopped assisting, so you only find out as you start heading towards the kerb 🤦🏼‍♂️ but JLR could easily fix this with a software update (if I knew a route to feedback comments to them ..)

Post #573467 Sat Jan 19 2019 9:35pm
dc44back

United Kingdom 

It’s worth the extra few quid in my view. Whilst not great it does add a bit of fun when driving on long motorway journeys.

But I wouldn’t want to use it regularly as it’s a bit of a pain. MY19 5.0SC Dynamic AB - Boss Grey, Black Pano Roof, 22” Gloss Black Alloys, Ebony/Ivory Massage Seats, Carbon Fibre Finishers, HUD, DTV and the all important Cabin Ionisation...

Post #574063 Tue Jan 29 2019 3:30pm
bradtarga34

I think it works well overall, however if it disengages then a warning chime would be a very welcome safety enhancement, hopefully something that can quite easily added as a software update

Post #579570 Wed Apr 24 2019 8:06pm
nil07

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Bonatti Grey

I added it in my My2018 AB
But wouldn’t again as sometimes doesn’t correct and other times it’s annoying esp when you are passing cyclists.
It isn’t so good that you can do handsfree like some BMWs X5
So not worth the extra money.

Laser lights also not worth the extra grand or so.
Pixel LEDS are sufficient

Post #586505 Sat Sep 07 2019 4:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>