RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > AFS Headlight Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver
AFS Headlight Issue

OK, so some of you may know that I've been nursing the known issue with the AFS headlights on my TDV8 ever since I've had the car (3 years). For those that don't know its an intermittent fault involving the initial automatic check the headlights do when you turn them on. As they are directionally powered, they check to make sure that they won't dazzle oncoming road users. If they detect a fault which might result in dazzling, they set themselves pointing low in one of two positions.

Well I have found to date that when the problem arises, I can often overcome it by turning the car off, waiting a minute and then restarting, the lights do their little dance, and normally all is well. I have never had any warning lights for the issue! Until now!!
So now I have the warning light, it looks like its telling me that I will soon have no opportunity to reset by staring again, as I have had in the past. And the killer is that to replace the headlights, which is the recommended solution as advised to me by many very competent people on this forum, will cost £1000 per side from LR. I can alternatively take a chance and buy a second hand one from eBay or similar but I could just be buying a light that even if it works now, might fail in a sort while!
BUT, I have just seen this offer on eBay and wondered if anyone else has heard of or used this supplier.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROVER-SPO...SwTxJcNy2n

Co-incidentally, I have only just (a week ago) upgraded the rear lights as per the spec here so if I can return them for a refund and then get this complete set, that would be my prime course of action - but only if I can trust this eBay supplier. Any thoughts? Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #577368 Tue Mar 19 2019 3:16pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Those won't fit your 2008 TDV8 as they're for the facelifted version. You'd need to do the facelift conversion which includes the front wings, I believe. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #577370 Tue Mar 19 2019 3:32pm
Eaters

Ah - thought there might be a catch. The rear lights I have just bought from Powerful UK were a direct replacement and so were a 5 min job to fit. Obviously not so lucky with the front lights Sad Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #577371 Tue Mar 19 2019 3:34pm
Eaters

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Those won't fit your 2008 TDV8 as they're for the facelifted version. You'd need to do the facelift conversion which includes the front wings, I believe.

You're quite right - I just called them and I would need new wings and bumper. Not part of my plans at the moment Big Cry Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #577373 Tue Mar 19 2019 3:42pm
Eaters

Right, so an update on my headlight issue. I have the AFS warning light on now all the time. Its even on if I remove both one or headlights from the car. Occasionally when I start the car, it is fine but after a few miles the warning light starts flashing. This even happens during the day when I am not using the lights.
So my questions are:
- does the system check the head lights even when they aren't on?
- if the warning light comes on even when the lights are removed from the car, does that indicate a problem elsewhere rather than the headlights themselves or is the fact that they're not connected enough to prompt the warning light?
Obviously I'm trying to prevent spending a great deal of dosh on new headlights if they aren't the problem Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #577550 Thu Mar 21 2019 11:44am
Eaters

PS - the headlights themselves seem to be pointing in the right direction! Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #577551 Thu Mar 21 2019 11:45am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The headlights do their "alignment dance" when the ignition is turned on, not when the light is turned on. So every time you start the car, the lights do their thing.

The AFS warning light will also illuminate if some other system fault is preventing correct AFS action. For example, a steering angle sensor problem could cause the AFS to throw the warning light. If the lights are pointing correctly down the road (one isn't very low, for example, which would tell you that the headlight itself is wrong) then that would suggest a non-AFS source for the error.

Looks like the usual advice applies - get the codes read and see what they throw up. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #577553 Thu Mar 21 2019 12:08pm
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

As has been said, there’s quite a few things interact with the AFS, SASM, Suspension Module, Self levelling etc. Did you have the DTCs read? 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #577557 Thu Mar 21 2019 12:45pm
Eaters

Thanks Guys
I had codes read on many occasions since the fault first occurred (3 years ago) but no codes showed. I haven't had them read since the warning light started flashing so that'll be my next action. Thanks for your thoughts Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #577560 Thu Mar 21 2019 1:16pm
Eaters

OK! So an update on my headlight issue. I had the codes read and they suggested that the AFS Control Module (under the glove box) was faulty. However, I had the codes cleared and went on my merry way for a bit. Warning lights started flashing again! Decided to try swapping the two power modules over to see if the fault moved from one headlight to the other. Now both headlights refuse to set themselves properly so I took it back for the codes to be read again. This suggested the AFS Power Module in one of the lights was faulty.

My surprise is that after the swap of sides, the sideways movement of the beam when cornering (yes, this bit still works) seems to have reversed in that say I turn left - the headlight (at least the nearside one as its easier to see) moves right.
Question 1 - Does anyone know if the headlight power modules are sided? They appear to be identical when looking at the codes on the back apart from one code which appears to be the date of manufacture.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I think its looking like a new power module or two - £50+ on auction sites but I have also found this:

https://xenons4u.co.uk/hella-5df008704-70-...-unit.html

Question 2 - as I seem to be having problems getting a reply from the supplier - does anyone know if this will fit and work on my car?

EDIT: meant to say that a new power module from LR is around £350!!! Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #589532 Thu Oct 31 2019 10:07am
Eaters

OK - an update on the AFS Headlight issue.

At long last I got a response from xenons4u! After describing the problem I had they were certain that changing the power modules on each headlight, my problems would be over. So I took the plunge and ordered 2. After a week or so delay due to supplier problems they arrived today. They are supposedly brand new Hella units but I was a little suspicious of the grubby label although the units themselves did look clean. Fitted them and immediately the offside headlight started working properly. The nearside one however, whilst doing a partial "dance" did remain pointing lower than it should. The other partial good news is that the warning light is no longer flashing on the dashboard. I tried swapping the power units over but the fault remained with the nearside light.

I just left it, thinking whether this now meant a new headlight after all for the nearside, but after a cup of tea, I went out and tried it again. Both behaved perfectly (including the nearside one) and no flashing warning light. I almost didn't want to turn it off in case it went wrong again but I did and then tried it again. Still working properly. That was about 3 hours ago. Just been out again in the dark and tried it once more - perfect.
Now I'm not gullible enough to think that it has miraculously repaired itself but for now at least I have fully functioning headlights. Lets see what tomorrow brings... Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #590345 Tue Nov 12 2019 10:01pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I have my fingers crossed for you! Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #590351 Tue Nov 12 2019 11:37pm
Eaters

Thanks Kev. I'll post an update in a while as, if this proves to be a solution (and yes its clearly early days), then £200 is a lot better than £2,000 for two new headlights. Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #590354 Wed Nov 13 2019 6:53am
Eaters

Right - quick update on the situation.

Had a 40 mile drive last night in the dark. Both headlights performed impeccably and there was no warning light on the dashboard - RESULT! (at least for now...)
I contacted xenons4uto thank them for their help and told them my current situation. Their reply makes for interesting reading:

hi Robin, i think i know the issue why it did happen!

ECU (car computer) needs to be reseted, I remember one local customer came in for volvo afs part we did fit new part and it was showing error and not working, later on he drove around and it has fixed the same issue like you did have , so it is deffo car needs to do NEW calculation to fix it.

So there is some hope but I know that these cars come come back and bite you when you least expect it - or even when you do expect it Laughing

And I recall that over the years I have been a member of this forum, there have been a few cases of headlight problems similar to mine raised by other members. Hopefully anyone else in this situation may this find a cheaper solution that replacing the entire headlight. If you want to have a look at the item the link is below (and no I do not have any link with xenons4u - they just did a good job).

https://xenons4u.co.uk/hella-5df008704-70-...-unit.html

Looks like the price has gone up a bit but still a whole lot better than new headlights! Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #590401 Thu Nov 14 2019 9:55am
Eaters

An update for any of you who are still interested. I've probably bored you all to death with this but...

Since I installed the two new power modules I have not had the warning light flashing. Thumbs Up

However, the nearside headlight does still occasionally play up and sits lower that ideal. Its not pointing at the ground but is about halfway between its lowest position and where it should be. So I was about to bite the bullet and buy a second hand one with all the perils that brings when I saw this site, www.lrparts.net. Brand new Hella headlight for my RRS for much less than LR will charge me for a new one. And I've got to the stage where I just want it fixed. So had a chat with them to check if there was more than one version for my model and after giving them just my registration number, they confirmed that only one applied and whilst they didn't have one in stock they could have one there the next day and out to me for the day after (today).

It arrived today and of course fitting takes just 5 minutes. SUCCESS (so far)! Just been out for a test drive and everything seems fine. And so for £446 including VAT and carriage I have a brand new Hella headlamp which is less than half the price LR would have charged (I believe they are now getting on for £1200 each) and only £150 or so more than I would have paid for a second hand one from eBay.

So all those of you who said I would need to buy a new headlight, you were right. Thank you. It just took me a while. Shocked

Currently a very happy bunny! Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #591132 Thu Nov 28 2019 3:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>