RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Rear pads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

ballast

United Kingdom 
Rear pads

Hi again - bit of a brake thing going on!

Rear pads - can I just check that the EPB is similar design to the D3/earlier RRS (i.e. shoes within the drum), so that rear pad change is straight forward caliper off with no messing around with the EPB?

Thanks all.

Chris

Post #594092 Fri Jan 31 2020 5:18pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Park brake on the L494 works off the caliper,easy job changing pads,I usually release park brake then take the electrical connector off the caliper then change pads as normal.Just remember you need the windback tool for the rears. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #594096 Fri Jan 31 2020 5:29pm
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

Good to know, I was also assuming similarities to a D4 Thumbs Up

Continuing on that theme, is there an emergency release for the epb similar to a D3/4.

And is there a gearbox override similar to an 8 speed D4, apart from the 10 minutes you get by switching off in neutral? Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #594099 Fri Jan 31 2020 7:19pm
ballast

United Kingdom 

So I thought I'd provide a bit of a write up on this.

I'll start by saying, I'm not a brake amateur! I've done a few in my time on a whole range of vehicles including most in the LR range.

Ironically, I thought the front brakes would be the problem and the back easy. As noted on a separate post, the front pad change was actually fairly easy.

Yesterday, I'd got quite a bit of time available, no rush, reasonable weather and was looking forward to an afternoon of rear pad replacement. I've got all the right tools, genuine LR pads and sensor, what could possibly go wrong.....

It was without doubt the most frustrating job I've ever undertaken on any vehicle ever!!!

So, wheel off, that was OK other than it slipped and banged down alloy side up on the edge of a slab causing a mark on the pristine paintwork....

Bolts out of the caliper - tight, tighter than most I've removed before and a little more difficult given the EPB module, but not bad on the whole.

Caliper off. Nearside first, so no wear sensor to contend with on this side.

Pads out and ready to wind back the piston. Doesn't move a mm. EPB is off btw. So, remove EPB module from the caliper, noting that the case and mounting points are already cracked (the case is made from something like cheese that has clearly become brittle with time).

I still can't wind the piston in easily; I try winding and pushing, both to little avail. After a good ten minutes swearing and checking the internet for inspiration, I wind it a little way (with considerable pressure) and then eventually it pushes the remainder of the way in. I am using a proper brake winder kit btw.....

So, that's the nearside nearly done. New pads, grease, etc. Reattach the EPB module and one of the fixing lugs inevitably snaps (falls - snaps implies something was holding it on well in the first place), so a quick mod to the remainder of the case allows me to refit it, albeit not really to my satisfaction.

An interesting point is that one of the pads had the remains of a wear sensor still attached.... this is on the nearside, i.e. non wear pad sensor side....!!! I paid close to £500 for rear pads and discs over a year ago and had them fitted by a local independent. Not quite sure what's gone on there....

Anyway, wheel back on and over to the drivers side. Exact repeat of the other side, but the EPB lugs are in worse condition - why Land Rover? Why would you make them out of cheese? Piston a bloody nightmare to get back in. Lots of swearing. And then the wear sensor. Why put the plug in such an inaccessible place? Why? It was always going to be a consumable part. More swearing. The plug for the sensor is behind another one that snaps off its mount because it's made of plastic gone brittle. I can't get the new sensor mount in the hole because my hand is limited by human movement. Swearing. Getting colder and dark. Three and a half hours to fit four pads. Censored Censored Censored

Still got to refit the EPB module. Both lugs fall off. Make a bracket to hold it in place. Swear. Curse Land Rover.

Get it back together and it works, but not a happy bunny with it.

Yours very frustrated

Chris

Post #594396 Wed Feb 05 2020 2:35pm
georgien

Belgium 

Dave-t wrote:
Good to know, I was also assuming similarities to a D4 Thumbs Up

Continuing on that theme, is there an emergency release for the epb similar to a D3/4.

And is there a gearbox override similar to an 8 speed D4, apart from the 10 minutes you get by switching off in neutral?

Hello Dave-t
Have you got an answer to your question ? I'm still desperately looking for this info.

Thanks
Nik Nik
RRSport L494 SD4 MY'17
Audi Q5
BMW X3
Audi A6
Mercedes R
Volvo XC70
BMW 5
Range Rover Classic
UMM
Toyota BJ40

Post #609593 Fri Feb 05 2021 11:26pm
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

Haven’t seen anything Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #609595 Sat Feb 06 2021 7:19am
Peterh

United Kingdom 

YouTube video done by Rimmers makes the job look fairly straightforward.

Post #609602 Sat Feb 06 2021 11:02am
Dave-t

United Kingdom 

That’s not the brembos, how does th3 handbrake work on those, is it part of the main calliper? Th3 brembos have the mini calliper hanging off them Joined the X5 45e club
1994 Defender 90 300 tdi

Post #609607 Sat Feb 06 2021 12:55pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

TRW callipers on the rear L494 not brembo. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino