RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > Time for fresh paint
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Stevepd

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue
Time for fresh paint

Last year I noticed that the OSF door paint had started to crack and flaking in parts. This increased to cracking along the whole side of the OS from the front door rearwards. I wanted to get this done this year and also tidy up the front bumper to address stone chips. So I found a spray shop local to me, but days before it was due to go in the company folded. So aa sharp intake of breadth and start again. I found another company but not immediately local, but it felt right so I took the plunge. The whole OS has been sprayed and the front bumper. I wasn't in a hurry so didn't pressure them for a quick turn around. The job took 8 working days and the owner invited to me to look at the colour on a Sundqy to ensure I was happy; I was. I've got car back and fitted new front fogs and LED reversing lights whilst everything was in bits. The reversing lights are particularly effective. The only issue was my after market side grills broke so I refitted the standard items on both sides.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Last edited by Stevepd on Thu Apr 06 2023 7:01pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #632176 Thu Apr 06 2023 4:46pm
BJH1959

Portugal 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Good for you Steve. Nice job by the look of it.

Let's hope she gives you some trouble free motoring as a thank you for the tidy up.

Mine is 18 years old in a couple of months - soon to be an adult! She had her 'prom' a couple of years ago and to date has been a well behaved teen. Barrie.
2005 RRS 2.7TDV6 from 2017 -2024. Best car I ever had.
Current: 2018 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2

Post #632177 Thu Apr 06 2023 5:37pm
Stevepd

I recall you spending a fair penny on yours before your departure. I wish the circumstances were the same for us, but my wife is keen on the idea but just not yet as she's in full flow of her career. I drop thee occasional hint and record all the relocation programmes to provide visual incentive. Alas the Belfast woman says mmm, at least its not Never!. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Post #632180 Thu Apr 06 2023 7:05pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

What would cause the paint to go like that in the first place?? 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #632181 Thu Apr 06 2023 8:37pm
Stevepd

I failed to mention above that the paint finish was also bubbling, with areas of thousands of bubbles below the paint which hopefully show up in some of the photos above. Not knowing anything about such a thing a few phones calls and research shows it was moisture and a thought that the car had had paint previously. So I contacted the salesman that I purchased the car from (garage closed but I know the chap and keep in touch) to ask the history of them receiving the car. He said that the car came to them from Stradstones in Mayfair via a contact they had to take cars too old for their forecourt. No bodywork was carried out in the time they received it, prior to me purchasing the car 2 weeks later. He said that he would contact that contact and come back to me. So I made efforts to contact the previous owner to see if they had information. She did get back to me and we had a chat and I asked the question. She confirmed that the car was traded in for a Porsche and it had had no bodywork done in her ownership. Judging from the conversation I got the feeling she was telling the truth. So I have a 7 month window from when the car was traded to when I purchased it that perhaps something may have happened and the car received paintwork to the OS. The finish was flawless for years and then a deterioration started which caught me eye, maturing into a very obvious issue. Coincidentally I started using Autoglym snowfoam and it was around that time it became obvious, but I'm not convinced the 2 are linked. If it was a below par job it only a question of time I suppose. I'm glad it's done now as we're keeping the car having owned it for 7 years this year and if I say so myself it does look good. 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Cairns Blue.

Last edited by Stevepd on Fri Apr 07 2023 7:19am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #632186 Fri Apr 07 2023 6:51am
BJH1959

Portugal 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Stevepd wrote:
I recall you spending a fair penny on yours before your departure. I wish the circumstances were the same for us, but my wife is keen on the idea but just not yet as she's in full flow of her career. I drop thee occasional hint and record all the relocation programmes to provide visual incentive. Alas the Belfast woman says mmm, at least its not Never!.

Have pm'd you Steve. Thumbs Up Barrie.
2005 RRS 2.7TDV6 from 2017 -2024. Best car I ever had.
Current: 2018 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2

Post #632187 Fri Apr 07 2023 7:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1