RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Crankshaft Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Richchad

United Kingdom 

LandPhil wrote:
My 2 Year LR Approved used warranty expires in Jan 19. I’m going with Warranty Direct and everything is covered including wear and tear after the first 90 days and its cheaper than LR.

Will they cover the snapped crankshaft problem though, I have asked them that question, no reply yet.

I did ask Landrover Extended Warranty the same question, this is the reply...

Thank you for your email.
I can confirm we treat each case based on its own merits. So if a concern was to arise outside manufacturing warranty we advise the vehicle to be booked into a Land Rover retailer for them to investigate further, who will be able to submit a report to us once they have investigated the concern.

At this moment I am unable to comment on what could be offered as the concern has not manifested on your vehicle and a investigation has not been carried out.

In reference to what the Extended Warranty would cover I would kindly advise you to speak to Car Care Plan who administrate the extended warranty plans on behalf of Land Rover.

You can locate their number by clicking here.
Thank you for your time.

So as I expected no commitment from Landrover.

I have also asked Car Care Plan, again no reply yet. Arrived - RRSport 2016 HSE SDV6 HSE
Loire Blue/Ivory leather Privacy Glass

Gone - RRSPORT 2010 TDV6 HSE
Stornaway/Ebony Premium leather with Lunar stitching, Heated Steering Wheel and Privacy Glass.

Gone - RRSPORT TDV6 HSE
Buckingham Blue/Ivory, Privacy Glass, Tasmods Sills, Supercharged Black Badges all round, Grille & Vents, plus RRSport Sticker & Brolly of course.

Post #572137 Tue Jan 01 2019 10:21am
DrRob

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
The problem, Rob, is having a great engine in a wobbly chassis... Whistle Thumbs Up

I might end up following you in to 4.4TDV8 FFRR country, however.

True but I just pootle these days so it suits me fine. Happy to advise if you do come over to the Dark Side Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #572138 Tue Jan 01 2019 10:44am
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Richchad wrote:
LandPhil wrote:
My 2 Year LR Approved used warranty expires in Jan 19. I’m going with Warranty Direct and everything is covered including wear and tear after the first 90 days and its cheaper than LR.

Will they cover the snapped crankshaft problem though, I have asked them that question, no reply yet.

I did ask Landrover Extended Warranty the same question, this is the reply...

Thank you for your email.
I can confirm we treat each case based on its own merits. So if a concern was to arise outside manufacturing warranty we advise the vehicle to be booked into a Land Rover retailer for them to investigate further, who will be able to submit a report to us once they have investigated the concern.

At this moment I am unable to comment on what could be offered as the concern has not manifested on your vehicle and a investigation has not been carried out.

In reference to what the Extended Warranty would cover I would kindly advise you to speak to Car Care Plan who administrate the extended warranty plans on behalf of Land Rover.

You can locate their number by clicking here.
Thank you for your time.

So as I expected no commitment from Landrover.

I have also asked Car Care Plan, again no reply yet.

It took a few emails but I eventually got a positive reply from Warranty Direct confirming that the crank is covered (subject to the usuals (serviced in accordance with..... etc etc). I'll dig out the email Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #572215 Wed Jan 02 2019 2:38pm
LandPhil

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand

Sorry for not replying earlier.

With Warranty Direct I have taken full cover on all systems. I did not ask “what about a known design defect that causes the crank to shear,” but asked what exclusions apply. The answer was “providing all servicing has been carried out ...etc etc. Then everything is covered subject to the limits and costs that you apply during the selection of the cover you want to pay for.

People on Disco 3/4 have claimed successfully.

Post #572225 Wed Jan 02 2019 4:23pm
Richchad

United Kingdom 

Had a reply from Warranty Direct this afternoon after email and phone call...

Following our recent phone conversation, I can confirm that the 'crankshaft' is a covered component on our warranty policy, on our CORE product, which is part of the engine.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with, have a great afternoon!

Kind Regards

So looks like they will cover the crankshaft, but as usual the test will be when you have to make a claim.. Arrived - RRSport 2016 HSE SDV6 HSE

Stornaway/Ebony Premium leather with Lunar stitching, Heated Steering Wheel and Privacy Glass.

Gone - RRSPORT TDV6 HSE
Buckingham Blue/Ivory, Privacy Glass, Tasmods Sills, Supercharged Black Badges all round, Grille & Vents, plus RRSport Sticker & Brolly of course.

Post #572229 Wed Jan 02 2019 4:35pm
Richchad

United Kingdom 

Quote:
It took a few emails but I eventually got a positive reply from Warranty Direct confirming that the crank is covered (subject to the usuals (serviced in accordance with..... etc etc). I'll dig out the email

Bill Portland, it would be good to see your Warranty Direct email if you can post, thanks. Arrived - RRSport 2016 HSE SDV6 HSE

Gone - RRSPORT TDV6 HSE

Post #572259 Thu Jan 03 2019 9:17am
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

I've looked back over the correspondence and there are a few emails from which I've extracted the following statements that were made:-

The first one is to confirm that the crankshaft is covered:-

"This is a named components warranty and lists the specific components which are insured for sudden electrical or mechanical failure. As you will see, the crankshaft is a covered component."

Then, to confirm that "known issues" are not excluded (as they are with some insurances):

"We are aware of 'known issues' with some vehicles however, we will not reject a claim for a 'known issue' if it is not subject to a manufacturer recall. All claims which are not subject to a manufacturer recall, will be considered in-line with the terms and conditions of your warranty."

Then the concern that a claim could be refused if the crankshaft was considered to have been faulty when the car was built ("since" being the key word):-

"Turning to 'condition 14': this seeks to mitigate us against the risk of poor repairs, or faulty parts used/or carried out, since the vehicle's 'birth'. Again, generally, faults which occur through poor repair processes or faulty parts are covered by guarantee. You will therefore incur limited/no detriment in the event of this occurring."

I renewed the policy a few months ago and sought confirmation that these statements still apply and they confirmed they do.

These are a few selected statements from a long series of emails but was enough to convince me to go ahead with the policy. Of course, you should check your own policy wording to make sure that it suits your needs or they have not changed anything or if you have a different level of cover.

Hope this helps. Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #572265 Thu Jan 03 2019 11:05am
Richchad

United Kingdom 

Thanks Bill, seems they have gone into much more detail than my email just saying the crankshaft is covered. Arrived - RRSport 2016 HSE SDV6 HSE

Gone - RRSPORT TDV6 HSE

Post #572266 Thu Jan 03 2019 11:10am
SandroGeneva

Switzerland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I wish I've read this before I bought a 3 years old used RR sport autobiography 1.5 years ago. I is now just 5 years old and did 120.000 KM and boom engine went out while driving back from Italy... Now the car is in Italy at the tow company. Called Range Rover and they told me ... you need a new engine likely.. CHF 20.000 without the work. I paid CHF 55.000 for the car and now I'm wondering if its worth doing the repair or just sell the car for scrap... what do you guys think?

Post #573269 Thu Jan 17 2019 8:18am
Hog

Netherlands 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Buckingham Blue

Look a my mails from 2016/2017. I had the same experience at 120.000 K. At that time my car was 5 years old.
JLR offererd me -as a long time customer with a track record of JLR maintainance- a new engine out of goodwill. RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux
RRS 3.0 TDV6 gone
LR 3 HSE V8 gone
DiscoveryII V8 Gone
Discovery 1 V8 Gone
Mustang Shelby
Alfa Guilia (classic)

Post #573280 Thu Jan 17 2019 1:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Richythepom

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Sorry - just a quick thought to add to this one. Even if the crank is covered by a warranty, would it not be subject to the usual warranty providers' 'get out of jail free card' - by which I mean that they always say, "...if a component fails, we'll pay to repair/replace it, but we won't pay out for any damage caused subsequently by the failure of that first component...? 2008 RRS HSE Stornoway Grey

Post #573582 Mon Jan 21 2019 6:07pm
LG8340

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Those of us who are concerned by frequent reports of crankshaft breakage might be interested in a report of an in-depth investigation into the causes of the breakage. The results are eye opening.

One finding of the report will please owners of SDV6 engines coupled to 8 speed transmissions. It seems those are in the main spared from this serious failure.

I’m sure there will be many varied takes on report and look forward to reading members views.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showt...k-Failures RRS (MY13) Santorini Black SDV6 HSE luxuary
Gone: Evoque, Freelander 2, Mercedes 320 CLK, Porsche 911's

Post #583088 Wed Jun 26 2019 5:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rover75

Denmark 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Stornoway Grey

If someone interested in hearing snap - remember sound
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMs1B...ltRVRpbW9n

Post #583487 Wed Jul 03 2019 9:05pm
Stand Easy

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Richythepom wrote:
Sorry - just a quick thought to add to this one. Even if the crank is covered by a warranty, would it not be subject to the usual warranty providers' 'get out of jail free card' - by which I mean that they always say, "...if a component fails, we'll pay to repair/replace it, but we won't pay out for any damage caused subsequently by the failure of that first component...?

My warranty with MotorEasy covers the crank for one and they'll cover damage to an item caused by a none covered item failure. For instance a tyre blowout damages the steering rack for example. I'm sure it'll work the other way too.

Post #583490 Wed Jul 03 2019 10:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12