RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Anyone help with suspension fault please?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Toddy

United Kingdom 
Anyone help with suspension fault please?

Hi,

RRS TDV8 had the common seen yellow suspension light come on. Very intermittently though. At this stage could raise and lower suspension but noticed on screen red access on passenger side front wheel so possible height sensor? Took to garage, they checked compressor, airbags, valves and said could not replicate the red access on the screen so did not replace sensor but I believe they recalibrated it. They said could find nothing wrong. They raised the suspension to highest setting and left to see if any leaks.

When I went to collect, it was still at highest height, I could not lower it. Red warning light. Putting aside I had been told it was ready for collection and it was fine, the garage drove a short while and the suspension returned to normal, but then striaght away the red suspension light appeared with the 30mph warning. The RRS however appeared to be driving normally but the suspension could not be raised or lowered.

Today a height sensor has been replaced but garage has stated it could not be recalibrated because the red warning light is still on? The suspension still cannot be raised or lowered.

The battery has been checked and the rear brake light switch. All are fine.

The diagnostics I am told show an ECU fault. They have tried to clear the faults but cannot.

Car still in the garage. It is not a LR garage but have serviced etc RRS for a number of years. They are in contact with the local LR dealer (who used to service the car) and they are saying it may take 2 weeks to find out what it is!

Any ideas would be very welcome. Many thanks in advance

Post #566348 Fri Oct 05 2018 10:45pm
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

Can you post up fault codes?

Have you got active headlamps, dynamic suspension etc on this model? 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #566355 Sat Oct 06 2018 8:26am
Toddy

United Kingdom 

Thank you for the reply. Only fault I know is the garage has said ECU, so no codes sorry. I did see them put the diagnostics on it when I went to collect it the first time, and did see them try to clear the codes and only bit I could see on the screen said something along the line of "unable to clear".

TDV8 2008 model.

Apologies for lack of info other than in my original post, it is my car but hubby tends to deal with all the techinical side of it, he is away at the mo so I am totally beholden to the garage. I wish I had kept driving it with it's yellow warning as obviously now it appears to have more issues than when I took it to the garage.

Thanks for ongoing help.

Post #566356 Sat Oct 06 2018 8:37am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

They can't clear the fault code or codes because they haven't cured the fault. Leaves a lot of scope for them to just say ECU fault, without fault codes very difficult to advise as there are a awful lot of different codes go with the eas.

Cheers
Col

Post #566357 Sat Oct 06 2018 8:45am
Brit Plumber

It’s only a suspicion but the ECU fault maybe down to the suspension fault. The ECU may restrict to 30mph due to the suspension fault but may not be directly faulty. There are some good Techies on the site who im sure will come along but I would think the garage don’t have the kit or knowledge to sort this.

I know from previous experience that issues with the active suspension and active lights can give you suspension problems that you would never think to be related.

I will guarantee there will be some fault codes but they maybe don’t have the right diagnostic kit to access them.

On a tangent, where in Cumbria are you from? I was born in Penrith but brought up in Kendal. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink

16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #566358 Sat Oct 06 2018 8:49am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

after a calibration on an IID, you need to re-enable the system, otherwise the red light stays on

Post #566365 Sat Oct 06 2018 10:38am
Toddy

United Kingdom 

Thanks everyone for their replies. I have left the car at the garage to sort it out, but from the replies I am wondering if it is best to take it to LR, used to have it serviced at Coniston LR, unless anyone can offer any alternatives even if I have to drive there at 30 mph all the way!

Brit Plumber we are a few miles from Keswick.

Andy K, you say the system needs to be re enabled - is this something LR have to do, and could it be (being highly optimistic!) that this could clear the red warning light and all will (may!) be well now the sensor has been changed?

Is the fact the suspension cannot be raised or lowered, just a chime when trying, a restriction because of the red warning light being on, so if the warning is cleared, raising or lowering the suspension then becomes available?

Thanks for everyone's continuing help.

Post #566384 Sat Oct 06 2018 8:21pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I think you may find being unable to lower or raise the suspension is a sort of default mode if there is a problem, I would have though the only way to clear the warning is fix the fault.

Cheers
Col

Post #566395 Sat Oct 06 2018 10:11pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Toddy wrote:

Andy K, you say the system needs to be re enabled - is this something LR have to do, and could it be (being highly optimistic!) that this could clear the red warning light and all will (may!) be well now the sensor has been changed?

After a calibration yes.

Quote:
they recalibrated it. They said could find nothing wrong. They raised the suspension to highest setting and left to see if any leaks.

When I went to collect, it was still at highest height, I could not lower it. Red warning light.

It does sound like in needs re-enabling. Their system should do it.

It's difficult to tell from your post though, and the fact its been to the garage twice for them to do things and making it worse

Post #566407 Sun Oct 07 2018 10:07am
Toddy

United Kingdom 

Thanks again for your replies, proving helpful as it gives me more information to try and make a decision as what to do next.

Apologies for the questions again, the garage said on Friday after changing a height sensor they could not recalibrate because with the red warning light on " it says not to recalibrate". I am not too sure what the "it" is? As, from everyone's helpful replies, I now have a clearer understanding of the suspension being in a default mode and possibly why there is an ECU fault showing, do I let the garage recalibrate tomorrow even with the red warning light? My concern is, as Andy K has said, the car has twice been to the garage and all they have done is change a yellow warning light to red.

So my options appear to be:
1. Ask garage to recalibrate tomorrow and see what happens
2. Go to LR Coniston who may just do as above?
3. Go to an independent LR garage - has anyone used Kmotors, Leyland or Simon Huntingdon in Wigton or Mastora in Alnwick?

Thanks again

Post #566420 Sun Oct 07 2018 5:16pm
Brit Plumber

It’s probably a wording issue here. I doubt it says ‘Not to calibrate’ but more ‘Could not calibrate’ meaning there is still something to resolve and therefor it is not possible to calibrate. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink

Post #566421 Sun Oct 07 2018 5:20pm
Brit Plumber

duplicate post due to the crap Sky Router! 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink

Post #566422 Sun Oct 07 2018 5:21pm
Toddy

United Kingdom 

Thanks Brit Plumber, that is a very good point and a question I will ask first thing in the morning when I speak to the garage. Although if it is could not calibrate that does dispel my thought that recalibration may be all it needs!!

Post #566423 Sun Oct 07 2018 5:24pm
Brit Plumber

Not necessarily, it could be the way they are doing it or the measurements they are entering are outside of parameters. If they use the default values for a Range Rover rather than a sport for example. 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink

Post #566424 Sun Oct 07 2018 5:29pm
Toddy

United Kingdom 

Once again thanks for the quick reply that helps explain further, I will ask for more info on exactly why the calibration didn't happen on Friday, in the morning.

Do you happen to have any suggestions of anywhere else to use if I decide to not let the garage keep the car until they fix it?

Post #566425 Sun Oct 07 2018 5:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>