RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > What size off road tyres and rims (L320)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

300bhp/ton

United Kingdom 
What size off road tyres and rims (L320)

On the look out for a TDV8 3.6 L320.

Want to swap on some taller off road tyres. What is the max dimensions that the L320 can take?

I see Johnsons rods advertise their lift rods for bigger tyres and I know there are computer override options instead of the rods.

But I'm not convinced lifting is truly the best approach for bigger tyres, as with all IFS and IRS setups the wheel needs to cycle the full suspension travel. So under full compression you will be loosing all the lift unless you are also limiting suspension compression, which also wouldn't be desirable.

I really like how these vehicles look stance wise, but don't know the tyre size they have.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Essentially I'd like more sidewall and taller tyres to help improve approach, departure & breakover angles, without really sacrificing suspension flex/droop and comfort.

But I'd want to be able to achieve full suspension compression without rubbing.

What are the risks of the EAS crapping out and going to the lowest setting. Something I'm familiar with being a p38 Range Rover owner. Taller tyres on the p38 would then jam into the wheel wells making it undrivable. I'd assume the risk is less on the L320 of the EAS doing this, but I'd prefer not end up ruining the tyres just to move it to a safe place.

As a related question. Anyone know what limits the suspension up and down travel? Is it the CV's, control arms or air spring??

I also don't know what options on wheels. Larger rim sizes have less choice of tyres and less side wall. What rims clear what brakes and is there an easy way to know what brakes a TDV8 would have?

Are wheel spacers an option to help clear the brake calliper? I see some places in America sell 18" rims, so assuming just a different offset.

Lastly on the rim side of thing. Is the new Defender PCD/centre bore the same? Would the white steel rims fit an L320?

Post #635045 Mon Aug 14 2023 1:57pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

LR did a couple of 19in rims that fit over the TDV8 Brembos. There are a couple of aftermarket 18s around that I think also fit over the Brembos.

If you went down the 18in route, I believe 265/65/18 fit in the arches just fine and give you about 31.5in /803mm overall diameter and a sidewall of a little under 7in / 173mm.

Standard sizes for the TDV8 were 275/40/20 which gives dia. 729mm and sidewall 109mm, or 255/50/19 which gives 737mm and 127mm.

I run 255/55/19 (and did on my TDV8) on the 19in LR rim and I get 762mm and 140mm.

The issue with running rods is that you physically alter the car for the entire time - it's too high for road use and you lose the ability to make use of access height (can be useful on side slopes to lower the centre of gravity slightly and improve stability, and obviously can be useful in car parks, etc.).

A better option is to use one of the splice-in systems e.g. XLifter (https://www.xlifter.com/product-features/ ), Easy LIft (https://www.easylift-eas.com/ ) (Note: I haven't used either nor do I have any connection with either). Using such a system means you can have total control over ride height and can just use the total lift on the rare occasions that it's absolutely necessary. So much more flexible.

Yes, the plug-in systems are more expensive but they are the better all-round answer compared to just using rods.

Take care if you are at maximum ride height because I believe there have been instances of the front half-shaft failing/coming out when on full lock and power applied. Driving around at the maximum physically possible ride height isn't a good idea and it should only used to clear an obstacle. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #635046 Mon Aug 14 2023 3:42pm
RRSTDV8

If you're going to be using it for off road work, might be worth looking out for the rare locking rear diff. Not that I've ever missed having one, but I can think of a couple of times when one would have made progress easier and less damaging to the ground. But I've never been stuck because of a non-locking rear diff.

It is possible to retro-fit the locking rear diff. I think there's an ECU and bit of loom required in the boot and then programming the CCF so the car knows it's there.

This was done on a D3 but it's the same running gear, etc., so should be the same with the RRS if one wished to try it.

Ah, yes, here it is: https://www.disco3club.co.uk/gallery/album...itment.pdf 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #635047 Mon Aug 14 2023 3:51pm
300bhp/ton

United Kingdom 

Is there an easy way to spot the locking rear diff for the RRS? I know on the D3/4 for the UK market you had to spec it on its own, so unless you crawl under the vehicle to take a look, there is no way to know. And most sellers and listings have no idea.

Was it the same on the L320 or was it part of an options pack with easier to spot items?

Thanks for the headsup on fitting the e-diff. I know at one time this was thought not possible. Glad to see it can be done! Very Happy

Post #635049 Mon Aug 14 2023 4:34pm
300bhp/ton

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
LR did a couple of 19in rims that fit over the TDV8 Brembos. There are a couple of aftermarket 18s around that I think also fit over the Brembos.

If you went down the 18in route, I believe 265/65/18 fit in the arches just fine and give you about 31.5in /803mm overall diameter and a sidewall of a little under 7in / 173mm.

Standard sizes for the TDV8 were 275/40/20 which gives dia. 729mm and sidewall 109mm, or 255/50/19 which gives 737mm and 127mm.

I run 255/55/19 (and did on my TDV8) on the 19in LR rim and I get 762mm and 140mm.

The issue with running rods is that you physically alter the car for the entire time - it's too high for road use and you lose the ability to make use of access height (can be useful on side slopes to lower the centre of gravity slightly and improve stability, and obviously can be useful in car parks, etc.).

A better option is to use one of the splice-in systems e.g. XLifter (https://www.xlifter.com/product-features/ ), Easy LIft (https://www.easylift-eas.com/ ) (Note: I haven't used either nor do I have any connection with either). Using such a system means you can have total control over ride height and can just use the total lift on the rare occasions that it's absolutely necessary. So much more flexible.

Yes, the plug-in systems are more expensive but they are the better all-round answer compared to just using rods.

Take care if you are at maximum ride height because I believe there have been instances of the front half-shaft failing/coming out when on full lock and power applied. Driving around at the maximum physically possible ride height isn't a good idea and it should only used to clear an obstacle.

The only real appeal with the rods is the price as a short term solution. The plugin systems would be my first choice.

Will have a look at some tyre options in those sizes.

BTW - do you know how the 18" aftermarket rims fit over the brakes? Are they designed bigger or is it just offset allowing it?

Post #635050 Mon Aug 14 2023 4:36pm
RRSTDV8

300bhp/ton wrote:
Is there an easy way to spot the locking rear diff for the RRS? I know on the D3/4 for the UK market you had to spec it on its own, so unless you crawl under the vehicle to take a look, there is no way to know. And most sellers and listings have no idea.

Was it the same on the L320 or was it part of an options pack with easier to spot items?

Thanks for the headsup on fitting the e-diff. I know at one time this was thought not possible. Glad to see it can be done! Very Happy

Put the suspension in off road height and have a look through the left rear wheel arch using a torch. You can see the rear diff. The locking diff has a motor on the top.

The Factory HST had the rear locking diff as did the G4. I believe the non-factory HST (a dealer-fitted kit) did not have the rear locker.

The rear locker is a very rare thing in UK L320 RRSs so don't get too hung up on it. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #635068 Mon Aug 14 2023 11:27pm
RRSTDV8

300bhp/ton wrote:

The only real appeal with the rods is the price as a short term solution. The plugin systems would be my first choice.

Will have a look at some tyre options in those sizes.

BTW - do you know how the 18" aftermarket rims fit over the brakes? Are they designed bigger or is it just offset allowing it?

I'm not sure how the 18s fit - whether it's an better shape to the dish or whether it's simply a different offset.

The benefit of the 18s if you can fit some is that you can get tyres such as the BFG KO2 rather than the likes of the Grabber AT3. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #635069 Mon Aug 14 2023 11:33pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

18's that fit brembos are PD1881 and pretty expensive. HughN found some steel 18's that also fit but can't remember the make - maybe do a search on here. He may also be selling them if not already gone.

Post #635075 Tue Aug 15 2023 9:20am
RRSTDV8

I think Hugh's were Tuffant but don't hold me to it. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #635077 Tue Aug 15 2023 10:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1