RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > TDv8 - You shouldn't laugh when overtaking ....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
TDv8 - You shouldn't laugh when overtaking ....

Anyone interested in my first impressions of the TDv8 ?

Well, are you sitting comfortably .......

This is all about THE ENGINE. Where the TDv6 is sleek, smooth and serene, the TDv8 is a big, beautiful beast of a thing. Two extra cylinders and one extra turbo, and you get something more like a Turbine than a turbo. The result feels like flying a Spitfire plane (with that huge merlin engine on board). Plant your right foot, shout "tally hoe chaps" and then watch that horizon appear slightly alarmingly quickly.

The first overtaking manoevre I tried today created this involuntary and prolonged guffaw of laughter. A laughter born in delight and a tinge of fear. Not the best reaction for aiding one's concentration, so I have been trying (not always successfully) to surpress that effect all day now. The last time I had something similar was back in my biking days when I swapped my Honda 750 for a go on a friends GPZ 1100. Tootled carefully along the side roads and only opened her up on the slip road down to join the motorway. Before I got to the motorway itself I was doing the same guffawing as a result of the shock of having taken off like an appollo rocket from the launchpad. Was doing well over 100 before I got to the end of the slip road and everything around was starting to blur. Now I am not saying the TDv8 is quite in that Appollo 13 territory, but it roars into action, serves up huge dollops of creamy torque and a sensation of flying like the TDv6 never did.

You "feel" this engine in a very different way from the TDv6. There is a throbbing, background reasonance that constantly reminds you that you need to take care with your right foot or you could get yourself in trouble. That ever lurking power is at one both impressive and at times just a touch oppressing. The TDv6 was a slightly more relaxing and mellow experience. At 1,800 revs the TDv6 is as sweet and silent as any car I have ever driven. A sharp prod on the right foot would bring in a smooth and peaceful wave of power. The TDv8 at 1,800 revs has that very slight lumpy feel, just to remind you of the squillion foot pounds of torque waiting to flow when asked.

I look forward to getting used to this much higher level of grunt and the engine will smooth out (she's still only done 100 miles after all).

A couple of other quick (very minor) observations : I am delighted that the 20" wheel and Dynamic Response has had very little negative effect on the ride quality. I had expected to feel a significantly firmer ride, but that's not there. The additional clock is great (and stops you reading the MPG read out all the time) but the green "headlights on lamp" is way too bright and doesn't dim with the rest of the dials. I "nicked" the floor mats from the TDv6, but there aren't any locating plastic lugs built into the front floor of the TDv8. And the badges are all Green ! Yes, there is a supercharged silver front grill, but the badge is green. So my dealer was happy to let me swap my old front grill for the one from the TDv8. so I now have the black badge at the front, and just need to get a black one for the back. And finally (for this installment), the American Walnut finish is just a touch "dirty" looking for me. I still much prefer it to Rhodium, but on balance would have prefered to keep the Cherry.

I'll update you on impressions after a few more days use, but so far, so V8 good...... Razz Laughing Razz RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #78338 Sat Jan 27 2007 8:02pm
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Congrats on the new toy mate Very Happy Thumbs Up

Please keep us posted RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #78341 Sat Jan 27 2007 8:16pm
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

Time to change your RRS Profile information Wink Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #78342 Sat Jan 27 2007 8:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Any one got the TDV8 Specification ?? Very Happy RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #78345 Sat Jan 27 2007 8:25pm
tf9

Russia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Can you imagine what it feels like in slightly tuned S/C Cool 2014 Mercedes-Benz S500
2014 Range Rover Autobiography, Causeway Gray, Ivory/Ebony
2013 BMW 530d
2008 Range Rover Supercharged Vogue S\E, Java Black, Ebony. SOLD
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Java Black, Ebony. Arden body-kit. SOLD
2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 Buckingam blue, Ivory. - SOLD.

Post #78346 Sat Jan 27 2007 8:27pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Sad

can you please lie and tell me your TDV6 was just as good - thanks Wink

Post #78348 Sat Jan 27 2007 8:55pm
Rooleeds

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I know what you`re talking about smarticus.
I had a days trial in a TDV8, and all I could say as soon as I put the pedal down was "I gotta get me one of these" with an evil like chuckle.
My friend in the passenger seat was impressed by the G force as he was playing around with the TV tuner, and when i floored it, could not touch the screen any more. He He.
Mine is built on March 9th, and should have it within 3 weeks. Cannot wait is an understatement.

Post #78364 Sat Jan 27 2007 10:33pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey
Re: TDv8 - You shouldn't laugh when overtaking ....

Smarticus wrote:
I "nicked" the floor mats from the TDv6, but there aren't any locating plastic lugs built into the front floor of the TDv8.

There aren't in any models. These come with the mats and you screw them into the floor yourself.

If only the TDV8 was available in a D3. I'd have my perfect car then! Smile Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #78365 Sat Jan 27 2007 10:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Great, Smarticus. Glad you're happy with it.

How about some pictures? Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #78371 Sat Jan 27 2007 11:05pm
Smarticus

Kaine wrote:
Sad

Kaine, in all honesty the TDv6 is probably going to remain my "favourite". Sure the TDv8 is good (ney great) but the TDv6 had the smoother feel, the silkier (ie more silky) ride and a whole lot lower price tag. If you are a "grunt" fiend then the TDv8 will always get the thumbs up, but if you want a more mellow, balanced and cost effective experience, the TDv6 still gets the prize. Don't for a moment think you have an inferior car, just very slightly different. In 95% of real world situations I bet the TDv6 will stand side by side the TDv8. Its a bit like having a watch that is waterproof to 100 metres, then someone comes along and says his is waterproof to 200 metres. So what, you'll only use it in the swimming pool afterall. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #78383 Sun Jan 28 2007 12:41am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Smarticus wrote:
Kaine wrote:
Sad

Kaine, in all honesty the TDv6 is probably going to remain my "favourite". Sure the TDv8 is good (ney great) but the TDv6 had the smoother feel, the silkier (ie more silky) ride and a whole lot lower price tag. If you are a "grunt" fiend then the TDv8 will always get the thumbs up, but if you want a more mellow, balanced and cost effective experience, the TDv6 still gets the prize. Don't for a moment think you have an inferior car, just very slightly different. In 95% of real world situations I bet the TDv6 will stand side by side the TDv8. Its a bit like having a watch that is waterproof to 100 metres, then someone comes along and says his is waterproof to 200 metres. So what, you'll only use it in the swimming pool afterall.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up your good Wink

Post #78387 Sun Jan 28 2007 1:03am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Smarticus, I believe your TDV8 will 'become' silkier and smoother once you've piled up the mileage. Diesels tend to do that. Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #78392 Sun Jan 28 2007 2:12am
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

Nice one Smarticus, whats it going to be like when its chipped, i have been waiting to see the reports before i order a V8, so please keep us updated some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #78393 Sun Jan 28 2007 2:14am
Brian Mason

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

Me? Jealous..., nah!! Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad

Post #78401 Sun Jan 28 2007 6:46am
Smarticus

JayMann wrote:
Any one got the TDV8 Specification ?? Very Happy

Taken from Top Gear road test about the TDv8:

A torque total of 472lb ft is on offer here, 147lb ft more than in the TDV6 and 66lb ft more than can be claimed by that former alpha male SUV of choice, the supercharged petrol V8 Range Rover Sport.

The peak of all that torque hits home at just 2,000rpm, enough to overcome even the bulk that the TDV8 carries around with it (you crush the scales at close to three tonnes with company on board).

Zero to 60mph passes in an indecent 8.6secs and in-gear responsiveness is so great that certain increments are dealt with faster than in the less torquey, but ultimately more powerful, supercharged RRS. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #78416 Sun Jan 28 2007 11:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>