RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Mud, ruts and solid bits
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

HughN

Wales 

Thumbs Up

As I was told when I was a lad, when driving off-road, drive "as slow as possible; as fast as necessary".

Post #555038 Wed Apr 25 2018 3:33pm
d-9

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

RRSTDV8 wrote:
HDC then. Thumbs Up

I usually turn off HDC when on reasonably level ground. I find it more annoying than useful in such situations - as you appear to have found. It's excellent on steep, long descents or in icy conditions where it slows you nicely without any skidding. In more "normal" off road situations, I find low range, first gear is usually all that's required to hold the speed down on a descent. A short, steep, descent on a slippery surface - wet mud over firm ground, for example - is also a good place to have it switched on.

The thing with HDC is to set it up to your desired speed whilst on the level. Then when you go over the brow in to the descent, the vehicle doesn't "run away" until it hits the default HDC threshold. Madly pressing the cruise buttons to reduce the HDC threshold speed midway down a slope is, erm, attention grabbing! As said, low range first gear often keeps one going slowly enough that HDC doesn't need to kick in.

That's useful advice, I span my sport down a steep slippy bank when trying to throttle down the HDC speed, it locked the two passenger wheels and then we went into a slowmo spin.

Useful info on dsc, thanks. I assumed that had nothing to do with traction control because you can powerslide it with dsc turned on.

Post #555069 Wed Apr 25 2018 10:45pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Driving around offroad with the HDC on all the time isn’t just noisy, it will significantly reduce the brake pad life. Remember too that when HDC is in use and you hit the brake pedal you will cause it to fade out/ disengage - think of it as an additional brake pedal. Also On Road HDC works on icy surfaces if you have it switched on BEFORE you hit the ice patch - I have a gentle slope in/out of the courtyard I live on and it gets very slippery on frosty mornings , I use the HDC to prevent the RRS sliding out of the road end onto a busy main road......... Early on in the ownership of my 1st RRS back in the winter of 2005 an LRE day proved in their RRS just how useful HDC is on icy grass on the traction slope at the centre when I failed to make it up the bit with rollers on One side of the car and had to reverse down the slope to have another go - HDC does work in reverse as well as going forwards despite the claims of quite a few people. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #555070 Thu Apr 26 2018 5:19am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12