RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Mini Countryman PHEV
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

That is cheaper than they are here. I had to take the Mini back yesterday morning. I was very impressed with it - when it did have to switch between power supplies it was so smooth that I couldn’t tell, engine noise and vibration from the 3 pot 1.5 is very very well insulated from the cabin. My only concerns for ownership are a) what is the expected life of the hybrid battery - for sure they will not last for ever and I’m pretty sure that they will not come cheap and b) If this is to be my daily runner then for longer trips maybe running for hours with a 1.5ltr engine will not be so economical and the car’s fuel tank is not very big, stopping for 3 hours every 26 miles to plug in and recharge the battery would make for a very long trip........ even though the car will recharge the battery on the move it doesn’t boost the charge enough to fully charge the battery. Maybe there’s life in a large displacement diesel for more than just commuting type trips after all.......... at least with a reasonably priced PHEV my fears of range anxiety have been dispelled with the mini, I have proved to myself that for 90% of my motoring a PHEV would be a great car for me - one thing for sure the RRS PHEV is way way overpriced for the compromises it will present. LR should be concentrating on an Evoque or Disco Sport PHEV and keep the cost in line with the mid range models of those cars, an RRS PHEV will have an extremely limited market at prices starting at more than £75,000, it needs to start at less than £55,000 to have any appeal. My reason for saying that is that there is no way a 2.0ltr high output engine will give the RRS any sort of performance when running in petrol only mode, the car is just too heavy for such a small engine when you add >150kg of additional battery weight. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #540193 Sun Nov 05 2017 10:29am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Mitsubishi phev starts at £31800 here but you can get plenty of discount off that Thumbs Up

Batteries are covered by 8 years warranty on Mitsy and 5 on Lexus - not sure about Mini or LR Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #540197 Sun Nov 05 2017 10:45am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

If I'm doing long trips I use petrol but I could use a 20 mins rapid 80% charge on chademo while stopping for coffee/loo if I wanted

42 mpg without electric is good enough for me though long distance - I would expect mini to do better being smaller Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #540198 Sun Nov 05 2017 10:49am
warkman

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

Johnski wrote:
Unfortunately heated front screens on cars are a Ford Patent, which luckily LR and some other cars have fitted due to Ford ownership or envolvement, but they still get paid for its use by other manufacturers.

I thought the patent had now run out? Just bought a RRS 06 MY HSE TDV6 136,000 miles, to be a second car to my bland, boring Mitsubishi Outlander 68 plate 2.0 petrol 4

Post #540199 Sun Nov 05 2017 10:59am
AidanTDV8

Ireland 

From memory BMW are putting an 8 year guarentee on the Hybrid batteries, so i'd imagine its the same for the PHEV

You defintly wouldnt go X5 PHEV? I've driven it and its very impressive, however has a limited range of approx 22miles on pure electric, so less than the Countryman

Post #540392 Wed Nov 08 2017 11:58pm
GodivaNige

England 

warkman wrote:
Johnski wrote:
Unfortunately heated front screens on cars are a Ford Patent, which luckily LR and some other cars have fitted due to Ford ownership or envolvement, but they still get paid for its use by other manufacturers.

I thought the patent had now run out?

Yes, a long time ago. Heated screens like the one on my previously owned Touareg, are available to all manufacturers with no patent penalties.

Post #540395 Thu Nov 09 2017 7:52am
Tim in Scotland

Well having been very impressed by the Countryman PHEV which suits my needs well and it is suitably low enough price to fit in with my reduced circumstances when I become a pensioner as I will be able to clear off any finance before retirement which wouldn’t be the case with an RRS that is twice the price........ also a Mini fits into my garage with room to spare whereas NO Land Rover product can get through the door because of their huge (and unnecessary) width. With a 150 minute recharge time from empty to full I also wouldn’t need an extra cost rapid charger at home. So, until I have had a test drive of the forthcoming Jaguar iPace (which I think will be over priced and too expensive for my reduced finances) the Mini has gone to the top of my RRS replacement list. I have had a 1 hour test drive in a Golf Plug in Hybrid........... it is impressive but the Mini is better as it also has AWD. I’m still waiting for the local Mitsubishi dealer to contact me with a date when their demo car might be available - 3 weeks after contacting them....... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #540401 Thu Nov 09 2017 10:03am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Thats unacceptable Tim - Leeds had me in one next day and offered massive discount before I even went in Shocked

The dealership owner (Robin Luscombe) also posts his Mobile number on his website - I guess that's why they are consistently rated in Top 10 for UK Mitsubishi Thumbs Up

Leeds is nearer you than LPR Whistle Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #540405 Thu Nov 09 2017 11:17am
Tim in Scotland

Local mini dealer is closer than Leeds! If the local Mitsubishi dealer don’t want to impress me that’s their business, maybe they have no more allocation left to sell.......... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #540407 Thu Nov 09 2017 11:21am
Tim in Scotland

Just had a quote from the local mini dealers for a Countryman PHEV and some nice touches in the quote.......
Government contribution for buying a “greener car” gives me £2500 refund
First registration fee - £55-00
First year tax - £10.00
As total price of my spec is also a shade under £40k ( that is before the Govt payment of £2500) luxury car tax is a big fat ZERO even with all the additional toys that I have specced.
Biggest problem is the car is proving so popular that there are no build slots until February with delivery end of March on a factory build which isn’t a problem for me as my RRS PCP ends in April and I won’t need any car anyway from January through to late April and even if I do I can slum it in my Defender. It will,be interesting to see what they are going to offer as a part ex value on the Sport...... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #541612 Wed Nov 22 2017 4:25pm
Tim in Scotland

Well, with a heavy heart I ordered my first non LR car since 1996 today. 11 new and ex demo LR cars down the road and I have put a deposit down on a Mini Countryman PHEV and will ask for the deposit I put on an iPace back as it seems that the launch date might even have fallen back to late 2018/ early 2019..........
The spec of my Countryman is HUGE but still keeps it below the Rich Bastard car Tax limit (just) but it will be less than list as I get £2500 back from HMG for buying a 49grm/km emissions car, VED is £10pa and it’s little 1.5lt turbo petrol should see 60mpg in fossil fuel only mode ( Govt reckons 110mpg Rolling with laughter ) and the £2500 Money back will buy lots of petrol and pay for plenty of electric recharges from my home solar panels and even a few recharges from the public chargers. Only one small problem - no build slots are available before next April - Mini has been inundated with PHEV orders, also means no discounts.........
Dealership experience has also been great so far certainly as good as anything I have had from the 3 LR dealerships that I have dealt with (although the LR dealers offer better coffee!). The reasons for not going for another RRS or keeping my current one longer have been documented elsewhere on the forums, but put simply I cannot afford an RRS PHEV and the risk of the crankshaft failing on my current car and not having any warranty that covers it scares the sh*t out of me - if LR were prepared to admit a problem and cover that one component with the extended warranty then I would cancel my Countryman order and keep the Sport. I have been asked twice this week by friends about buying 2013 or 2014 SDv6 Discos and RRS’s and told them not to touch them as that one huge expense item isn’t covered by the used warranty.

I’m not abandoning the brand completely as I will still have my 21 year old 100% reliable, leaky and cold Defender for off-road fun. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Sat Nov 25 2017 7:48pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #541841 Sat Nov 25 2017 7:22pm
Renaco

Germany 

I am sure you will love the Countryman PHEV!

April is a long wait, maybe we receive our PHEV vehicles at the same time, let’s share then here the first experiences of our 50% Milk-floaters... Wink

Post #541842 Sat Nov 25 2017 7:39pm
Tim in Scotland

It will be interesting to compare them and The Milk Float Mitsu 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #541843 Sat Nov 25 2017 7:48pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

I see Mitsubishi are in trouble under filing false figures and other finance/money offences, it currently seems to be a pattern for large companies. Whistle John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #541844 Sat Nov 25 2017 8:08pm
Tim in Scotland

BMW/Mini dealers are in good company with JLR Dealers for not communicating with clients so today I emailed the dealer and asked if there is any news about my order and that I have read on the Mini forums about all orders being cancelled and having to be re-ordered by the dealers due to spec changes for Mini’s 2018 model year cars. Having said I was not best pleased to read this and that if my order were to be pushed back I would be cancelling and going to the Lexus dealership next door to the mini dealership I had a long email with several attachments that were inter-office emails between BWM and the dealership regarding my order.............. a) the price of my car as ordered in November has gone up by over £1300 which a I was specced up to £39790 to void the £40,000 tax cliff face means that my car would be over the limit. The options in some of the packs I have specced have changed and the upgraded HK audio has become even higher spec and Apple Car Play is now included - they caused the price to rise. That has also had a knock on with the VED and as a result the dealership had to go into negotiation with BMW to avoid loosing me as a customer....... BMW / Mini has volunteered that they will cover the increase in tax and VED for the 1st 5 years and I will pay the price I signed for in November, no options will be deleted from my spec ( runs to 8 pages!) and because the dealer got in early with negotiations and told BMW of my peculiar overseas employment and vacations that they have guaranteed I will have one of the 1st 2018 MY Countryman PHEVs built - delivery is mid/late April now. So well impressed that the dealership sales team were right on the ball with renegotiating the deals on cars ordered at the same time as I ordered to avoid increased taxes (the main reason for going down in sizes and price after all) and they have one happy customer to boot. Roll on April 23rd......... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #549526 Fri Feb 23 2018 6:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 9 <123456789>