RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Car braked of its own accord
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

JohnPM

United Kingdom 
Car braked of its own accord

Pottering along in my MY17 RRS HSE Dynamic this morning, leaving a roundabout, when the car braked itself almost to a standstill. Braked hard enough to chirp the tyres. Fortunately the guy behind wasn't too close otherwise I'd have been rear ended. Nothing on the dash, a couple of seconds later it carried on as normal. I'm guessing this was some kind of false activation of AEB. No traffic ahead, so nothing for AEB to react to. I've turned it off anyway. Quite disturbing, frankly. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Post #530254 Thu Jul 13 2017 3:08pm
Farmer Chalk

The car will determine the potential of a frontal impact possibly by a car in lane 2 of the roundabout particularly if you are moving forward in lane one with a slight curve....mine has done this on certain junctions where the car can't read the road ahead properly and there is a vehicle directly in front of mine.... it is disconcerting but in the grand scale of things I would prefer it to reduce any impact in a real incident! Very Happy

Post #530267 Thu Jul 13 2017 6:01pm
syl

United Kingdom 

Isn't it obvious on the dashboard when AEB activates. It is on my wife's Evoke when it just gives a warning - the message is meant to stay on afterwards if the AEB actually activates.

Post #530274 Thu Jul 13 2017 9:31pm
JohnPM

United Kingdom 

Nothing on the dash. Also no lane 2 on that roundabout, no other vehicles anywhere in sight except one behind...

Post #530283 Thu Jul 13 2017 10:42pm
wilf

Has to be a spurious event, and I would put money on it not being reproducible in the workshop. You were very lucky not have someone texting in a car behind you..................which I observe daily.

I have noticed that the ACC behaviour on mine has changed over the past 18 months - it is now hyper sensitive to cyclists or vehicles turning left some distance in forint of me. Will report at next service and report back here. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #530292 Fri Jul 14 2017 8:21am
mikef

United Kingdom 

Farmer Chalk wrote:
The car will determine the potential of a frontal impact possibly by a car in lane 2 of the roundabout particularly if you are moving forward in lane one with a slight curve....mine has done this on certain junctions where the car can't read the road ahead properly and there is a vehicle directly in front of mine.... it is disconcerting but in the grand scale of things I would prefer it to reduce any impact in a real incident! Very Happy

And this is progress? Thanks but I'm happy for my brain to decide when I need to hit the brake pedal and how hard to hit it

Btw the same thing used to happen with the adaptive cruise control on my previous Range Rover in that on motorway bends, it sensed vehicles in adjacent lanes and slowed down or even braked accordingly which of course would be a major shock to the poor bloke behind me. I didnt specify it on my current RRS for that reason

IMHO, if technology like AEB and ACC is not failsafe then L-R shouldnt be offering it. It is a nonsense to risk causing one type of accident to avoid another

Post #530307 Fri Jul 14 2017 11:16am
syl

United Kingdom 

I think AEB is mandatory nowadays, it's certainly part of Euro NCAP testing.

Post #530329 Fri Jul 14 2017 3:39pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Mine spends all its time 'Initialising', so is never actually operable.

Post #530337 Fri Jul 14 2017 6:38pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

[quote="wilf"]Has to be a spurious event, and I would put money on it not being reproducible in the workshop. You were very lucky not have someone texting in a car behind you..................which I observe daily.

Quite right wilf the road is full of these idiots playing on there phones. Censored SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #530341 Fri Jul 14 2017 7:07pm
CRC@LandRover

United Kingdom 
Re: Car braked of its own accord

JohnPM wrote:
Pottering along in my MY17 RRS HSE Dynamic this morning, leaving a roundabout, when the car braked itself almost to a standstill. Braked hard enough to chirp the tyres. Fortunately the guy behind wasn't too close otherwise I'd have been rear ended. Nothing on the dash, a couple of seconds later it carried on as normal. I'm guessing this was some kind of false activation of AEB. No traffic ahead, so nothing for AEB to react to. I've turned it off anyway. Quite disturbing, frankly. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Hi JohnPM,

Thank you for your comments.

I am deeply sorry to learn of this. If you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to PM me so I can investigate this further.

Thanks,
Amellia Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.

Post #530624 Tue Jul 18 2017 10:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1