Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Water in Fuel Tank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Nod1

United Kingdom 
Water in Fuel Tank

Hope you don't mind posting this query?
My business partner took delivery of her new Evoke Ember yesterday and luckily while the delivery guys were explaining the infotainment system the warning light came on saying water in fuel. The guys said it was probably a sensor fault and they would take it away and get it fixed.
Anyway, long story short after a lot of discussions with garage. They admitted that LR had confirmed that quite a few of the cars in production had been found to have water in the fuel tanks whilst being built. Evidently they had issued a statement...
Question:
Have any of you heard of this?
Would you accept the car back or request a replacement last thecae only had 40miles on clock and they said it would not have done any damage?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated please

Thanking you in advance
Nod RRS SVR 2018
RRS SVR 2017 (Rejected within 1 month due to damage)
FFRR AB 5Ltr Santorini Black
Mini Cooper Convertible (For Fun )

Previous
FFRR S/C AB Santorini Black
FFRR 4.2 Vogue Santorini Black
Ferarri 360 Modena

Post #522522 Sat Apr 01 2017 12:05pm
warkman

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

AFIK water is lighter than deisel, so would be at the top and the pump pulls from the bottom.
So long as JLR state no effect on your warranty I wouldn't worry. Just bought a RRS 06 MY HSE TDV6 136,000 miles, to be a second car to my bland, boring Mitsubishi Outlander 68 plate 2.0 petrol 4

Post #522528 Sat Apr 01 2017 12:37pm
Nod1

United Kingdom 

Thank you.
They did ay they would give her an engineers report and back up letter stating that they would not renege on her warranty at any point up to 2 years!
Just never know wether to trust these guys
Thanks again
Nod RRS SVR 2018

Previous
Ferarri 360 Modena

Post #522530 Sat Apr 01 2017 12:42pm
wilf

At a minimum I think I would ask for a complete fuel system flush, and new fuel filter (that is where the "water" sensor is located).

High pressure diesel fuel pumps are notoriously unhappy with a lack of lubrication such as would happen when they pump water.

Ask what procedure they would undertake to deal with a mis-fuelling (i.e. petrol put in instead of diesel) and insist they carry that out. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #522532 Sat Apr 01 2017 1:35pm
Nod1

United Kingdom 

Good idea....
The car is being returned this afternoon. So we will see
Thank you RRS SVR 2018

Previous
Ferarri 360 Modena

Post #522533 Sat Apr 01 2017 1:44pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 
Re: Water in Fuel Tank

Nod1 wrote:
Hope you don't mind posting this query?
My business partner took delivery of her new Evoke Ember yesterday and luckily while the delivery guys were explaining the infotainment system the warning light came on saying water in fuel. The guys said it was probably a sensor fault and they would take it away and get it fixed.
Anyway, long story short after a lot of discussions with garage. They admitted that LR had confirmed that quite a few of the cars in production had been found to have water in the fuel tanks whilst being built. Evidently they had issued a statement...
Question:
Have any of you heard of this?
Would you accept the car back or request a replacement last thecae only had 40miles on clock and they said it would not have done any damage?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated please

Thanking you in advance
Nod

I get this warning periodically on my diesel-engined boat, but the sensor is in the primary fuel filter not in the tank. (I would imagine it would be quite hard to monitor the presence of a small amount of water in a fuel tank). I don't know where the sensor is in an Evoque, but if it is in a filter it won't get anywhere near the engine unless you neglect warnings for a long time while water continues to build up, as these filters are designed specifically to block water en route to the engine. The usual source is condensation, sometimes in the tank itself but more often in a suppliers tank.

Post #522534 Sat Apr 01 2017 1:48pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

wilf wrote:
Ask what procedure they would undertake to deal with a mis-fuelling (i.e. petrol put in instead of diesel) and insist they carry that out.

The procedure after mis-fuelling (if the engine has been run) is extensive, even down to changing 'O' rings in pipes etc. which are affected by petrol (not being designed for that fuel). This means a major engine strip down running into several thousand pounds. I seem to recall someone with an Evoque having to fork out over £4,000. I can't see a dealer readily agreeing to do all that for water contamination.

Post #522535 Sat Apr 01 2017 1:53pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I would suggest that the car has sat unloved in the dealer's storage yard for a long time with little fuel in the tank and that water is condensation. The Ember edition Evoque IIRC was a short production limited edition (300 cars) from mid 2016 and for some reason none of the special edition Evoques produced so far (including the £85,000 but £110,000 if you opted for the bespoke leather suitcases Beckham Special Edition!) have been very popular in the UK. The Sicilian Edition was metallic black with a lemon yellow roof or metallic lemon yellow witch a black roof and they were not at all popular. The Ember is black with a red roof and red trim lines, red interior or Red with a black roof and black trim lines and it also proved to be less than popular. I hope your friend didn't pay list for it as They didn't exactly set the car world on fire............. more like smouldered in the showrooms and storage compounds! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #522537 Sat Apr 01 2017 2:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
warkman

donny dog wrote:
wilf wrote:
Ask what procedure they would undertake to deal with a mis-fuelling (i.e. petrol put in instead of diesel) and insist they carry that out.

The procedure after mis-fuelling (if the engine has been run) is extensive, even down to changing 'O' rings in pipes etc. which are affected by petrol (not being designed for that fuel). This means a major engine strip down running into several thousand pounds. I seem to recall someone with an Evoque having to fork out over £4,000. I can't see a dealer readily agreeing to do all that for water contamination.

And for misfuel, JLR keeps a record of vins that have this and engine components are not covered by warranty after Just bought a RRS 06 MY HSE TDV6 136,000 miles, to be a second car to my bland, boring Mitsubishi Outlander 68 plate 2.0 petrol 4

Post #522539 Sat Apr 01 2017 2:55pm
Nod1

United Kingdom 

Thank you one and all for you advice. Personally, I think she should have gone for a brand new one new Evoke for the same price rather than have a 16 Ember on a 17 plate..

Thanks again
Nod RRS SVR 2018

Previous
Ferarri 360 Modena

Post #522636 Sun Apr 02 2017 6:20pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

There is a sister forum to this one for Evoque, BabyRR.com that some of us here are also members of as we have also owned Evoques - in my case two of them, one brilliant and one I got rid of after a year as it became so unreliable after a gearbox software "upgrade" that caused it to burn out DPF sensors on an almost weekly basis............ I returned to RRS after that, having owned a launch day RRS 2.7 TDv6 SE and a 2007 TDv8 HSE previously. Changed the 3.6 TDV8 RRS for a 3.6 TDv8 FFRR and while I had previously owned a TD6 FFRR, the TDv8 was no handler after the same engine in the RRS with trick electro-hydraulic anti-roll bars and next to no body roll, the TDv8 was beautiful inside and very nice to drive long haul but not nice on twisty back roads where it wallowed and rolled badly if I tried to hurry it. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #522648 Sun Apr 02 2017 8:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Coedlan

United Kingdom 

warkman wrote:
AFIK water is lighter than deisel, so would be at the top and the pump pulls from the bottom.
So long as JLR state no effect on your warranty I wouldn't worry.

Diesel is lighter than water and would get trapped by the fuel filter, draining water from the diesel filter was common years ago, the filters had drain taps on the bottom

Post #522777 Mon Apr 03 2017 7:41pm
IRBails

Australia 

There is also an additive used in the tropic areas that will rid the water condensation from your tank. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #522816 Mon Apr 03 2017 11:55pm
Nod1

United Kingdom 

Hi to you all and thank you for your replies.
I thought I would update you on the latest...
The car was returned, with a promise that a letter would be received from LR to confirm that it was it was a known problem with a few cars and also attach a report confirming what repair was carried out.
Guess what, to date there is letter or engineers report !!

Lat two days, the following has been noticed

Infotainment centre not working
System would not recognise iPod
N/S back door will not open, even garage could not get it open. It will hoe=wever,open when window is down !
Water/condensation in back light pods
Water running down inside of front windscreen
and to cap it all, the rear bumper has now detached itself....
So it has been sent back and we have told them that we do not want it..
Any comments would be greatly appreciated. RRS SVR 2018

Previous
Ferarri 360 Modena

Post #523098 Fri Apr 07 2017 6:57pm
warkman

I take it that it has a sunroof? Just bought a RRS 06 MY HSE TDV6 136,000 miles, to be a second car to my bland, boring Mitsubishi Outlander 68 plate 2.0 petrol 4

Post #523101 Fri Apr 07 2017 8:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>