RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Connecting to InControl Apps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Silty

United Kingdom 
Connecting to InControl Apps

I can't seem to easily connect my iPhone via USB and get the Apps on the screen. It never connects first time, rarely second time and I usually end up trying a succession of; pulling the USB out and then back in, switching the phone off and then on, pushing the 'retry' option on the car screen. Any or all of the above usually...eventually... gives a connection but tonight nothing worked.

Anyone else having these problems and have any advice?

Thanks

Jim 2017 SDV6 Autobiography; Carpathian Grey, Ivory, Soft Close, Extended Grand Black.

Post #520118 Mon Mar 06 2017 7:57pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Mine phone connects OK wirelessly (not sure whether it's using Bluetooth - I should try with it off to see) and I get all the functions I was expecting.

Post #520124 Mon Mar 06 2017 9:05pm
matsoutback

Australia 

My understanding was, you need to connect with the USB to enable InControl Apps. Bluetooth alone will still get your standard features such as phone and music streaming.

Can't dirrectly help with your issue though except to try another cable and see how that goes... 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #520134 Mon Mar 06 2017 9:33pm
Jimbo095

United Kingdom 
Re: Connecting to InControl Apps

Silty wrote:
I can't seem to easily connect my iPhone via USB and get the Apps on the screen. It never connects first time, rarely second time and I usually end up trying a succession of; pulling the USB out and then back in, switching the phone off and then on, pushing the 'retry' option on the car screen. Any or all of the above usually...eventually... gives a connection but tonight nothing worked.

Anyone else having these problems and have any advice?

Thanks

Jim

Exactly the same, a right Royal pain in the arse! Why on earth incontrol apps doesn't connect via bluetooth is beyond me, plus you'd think wired would be more reliable! I'm Iphone 7 btw but assume that doesn't matter. I asked dealer last week if there was a software update, no.
So for me,
It has only once connected first time, often it will the second after the 'try again'.
Phone screen has to generally be unlocked.
I do the same things as you in unplugging/plugging in the usb when in repeatedly fails.
Spotify sometimes 'plays' but there is no audio and nothing shows in the speedo screen except 0/1!
You can't view playlist tracks on spotify, unless you play each one, one after the other or shuffle!
The apps are s**t bar spotify.

Separately there is supposed to be an 'approach mode' on the nav showing google street view when you are approximately 200 yards from destination. I though it would do it automatically if Nav was on satellite view but alas no?!

Post #520137 Mon Mar 06 2017 9:42pm
Jimbo095

United Kingdom 

P.S. Have tried alternative cables, no joy. Using Apple original not cheapy...

Post #520138 Mon Mar 06 2017 9:43pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

matsoutback wrote:
My understanding was, you need to connect with the USB to enable InControl Apps. Bluetooth alone will still get your standard features such as phone and music streaming.

No, I get InControl Apps. without any wired connection, nor did I need a wired connection to set it up.

Post #520154 Mon Mar 06 2017 11:03pm
Jimbo095

United Kingdom 

I assume you're not Apple but Android? Sure I read somewhere that they connect differently.
When I unplug the USB from the phone, it completely closes any apps and stops playing music etc

Post #520157 Mon Mar 06 2017 11:07pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Yes, Android. Maybe that's the difference, then. Sorry if I misled anyone, but I thought a phone was a phone.

Post #520173 Mon Mar 06 2017 11:50pm
Silty

United Kingdom 

I didn't realise Android was different either. My iPhone connects as a 'phone' via Bluetooth and everything works as it should. However if I touch the InControl Apps button on the screen a message comes up telling me to plug the phone in via USB to access apps. I think the manual describes this too.

I can't understand why everything isn't via Bluetooth as a connection is already there! The third complexity is the SIM slot of course. That's the 3rd method of connectivity but as far as I can tell there's nothing I value that comes via that connectivity so I don't intend to get a SIM.

All I want is Spotify too. When it does play it seems to be OK but I have occasionally seen the screen but no audio as mentioned. I'm at the point of giving up trying - just like with the gesture tailgate!

Cheers 2017 SDV6 Autobiography; Carpathian Grey, Ivory, Soft Close, Extended Grand Black.

Post #520180 Tue Mar 07 2017 7:22am
Jimbo095

United Kingdom 

Ha ha, gesture tailgate was binned after day 2, when I just looked at tit kicking his own car!
I'm the same regarding Spotify, it's definitely an Apple thing requiring the usb, another case of Android working more seamlessly, I'll try a pal's phone to compare. I bought a cheap sim as wanted to see what extras it brought to the car, it doesn't assist in the incontrol connectivity issues we are experiencing. It brings things such as satellite imagery maps, wifi hotspot, live news & weather and 'my commute' I do believe. Sure there are other things but as far as I'm concerned the whole ICTP is glitchy and needs updating/refining. If we are to believe the facelift will feature and upgraded system as per the Velar then it'll just be the MY17 with our system, not good!

Cheap Sim card valid for 12 months courtesy of another thread on here...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Trio-Pay...e+data+sim

Vehicle connects to home wifi when on driveway...

Post #520184 Tue Mar 07 2017 9:26am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

I get the satellite view on sat. nav. even without a SIM card. Surprised

Only had the car a few days, but one thing that certainly only comes with the SIM card in is Traffic Information on the sat. nav. I have also sent routes to the car, but I'm not sure whether that uses sat. nav. or not. What puzzles me is how it communicates without a SIM card, which I presume is by Bluetooth. But how far does Bluetooth reach? You are supposed to be able to locate your car using the system, but what would be the point if you have to be within Bluetooth range? (there are even parts of my house from which I can't communicate with the car, for example if I try to start the engine, even when it's parked outside). Confused

As for Gesture Tailgate, it the only time it's worked for me is when I was cleaning the car yesterday. I was stooped down cleaning under the rear wing, and, as I stood up, the corner of the rear hatch nearly brained me as it unexpectedly opened! Shocked (The car was unlocked but there were no keys nearby).

Post #520188 Tue Mar 07 2017 10:05am
Jimbo095

United Kingdom 

Had same thing happen twice yesterday whilst cleaning the car!

I'm thinking android phones are working more seamlessly than Apple with easier connectivity to boot. I certainly didn't get satellite view on the Nav prior to installing the Sim card...

Post #520211 Tue Mar 07 2017 2:24pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Satellite view is on all the time on my sat. nav. - I struggle to get rid of it even when I don't want to see it! It seems to be the default setting, and certainly works without a SIM card so I'm assuming it's in the memory, which, at 18 GB of data, it probably should be!

Post #520212 Tue Mar 07 2017 2:49pm
Silty

United Kingdom 

As definite proof that ranting on an Internet forum does deliver positive results, I plugged in the phone tonight and I was shocked to find Spotify playing before I even pulled away from the car park! I must go out and try that gesture tailgate......

If this success is repeated tomorrow I'll eat my hat and give the car away to the first street beggar. 2017 SDV6 Autobiography; Carpathian Grey, Ivory, Soft Close, Extended Grand Black.

Post #520236 Tue Mar 07 2017 7:49pm
Jimbo095

United Kingdom 

It's an ecu implanted software patch to lull you in to a false sense of confidence, only to bite you in the ass tomorrow morning just as you think it's cured. For good measure the gesture tailgate will proceed to smack your forehead as you are polishing the exhaust tips!! Laughing

Post #520247 Tue Mar 07 2017 8:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>