RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Warning lights - culprit, brake light switch....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Alex C

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Warning lights - culprit, brake light switch....

Hi all just thought I would share a result from earlier today.

Had intermittent dash warnings coming up for the past week saying transmission failure, hdc inop, suspension fault and a few others..... after the usual swearing and clenching of the wallet I looked on here for other similar threads and was led to the culprit possibly being the brake light switch. 26 pounds later and I have a new switch and so far so good with no warnings back.

Photo of the innards of the old switch below, distinct burn out mark on the side of one contact area so looks like this was hopefully the route cause.

Happy Christmas to all and thanks to those who make the effort to post such useful info on this site, has undoubtedly saved me a fortune over the past 3 and a half years of RRS ownership.

TDV8 Java Black, Overfinch 22s

Post #512236 Tue Dec 13 2016 9:58pm
abilover

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Fuji White

Hi,
It's great when you actually find the fault and there's something to look at. From my short experience on here, it's clear that this switch is the cause of a lot of faults?

Well done and thanks for sharing

Post #512242 Tue Dec 13 2016 11:08pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Thanks for posting this Alex. Good to know.
How many miles has your TDV8 done? Wondering if I'm going to get this problem soon with mine. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #512248 Wed Dec 14 2016 1:00am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

You should have popped into Advanced Factors and you could have got a switch for under half that price. Wink

Always advisable to keep a spare switch in the glovebox. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #512258 Wed Dec 14 2016 11:15am
ozzievechi

England 

good stuff, I had the same lot of warnings flash up, so im guessing its my switch. wriggled it around and touch wood the warnings haven't come up again, but will order a couple for "when not if" then come back

quick question, how to you get the switch out, I tried twisting and pulling, but didn't want to force it out...is there a knack to it?

Post #512265 Wed Dec 14 2016 12:41pm
Alex C

Thanks chaps, Small switch does seem to be the cause of a lot of issues, unfortunately these cars do seem to suffer from this type of problem more than most!

Mine has just gone through 100k on a 58 plate, The engine is amazing but the little things do go wrong. Had the drivers door actuator go the other month, that was a 'satisfying' job once complete Smile

To remove the switch it needs a sharp clockwise turn, easier if you unclip the cable harness first in my view but not that important. Is a pain to get at if you don't have a good torch to take a look before you put your hand into the gap behind the trim, once you have a hold of the switch you can't see it.... TDV8 Java Black, Overfinch 22s

Post #512285 Wed Dec 14 2016 11:42pm
ozzievechi

England 

Thumbs Up haah 2010 TDV8 50k miles.... and my drivers door actuator has also gone....

Post #512292 Thu Dec 15 2016 9:54am
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Oho 57k miles and my door actuators are perfect. Whistle

Now we'll see how quickly sod's law can take effect. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #512294 Thu Dec 15 2016 10:06am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

An important note on the brake switch fitting: Never release the plunger beforehand, as the switch is self-adjusting so can be damaged. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #512297 Thu Dec 15 2016 10:49am
ozzievechi

England 

also... has anyone done this on a Facelift? advancedfactors part no is LR072647, however this differs from the part no in the how toos

Post #512347 Thu Dec 15 2016 5:23pm
Alex C

There is a great 'how to' guide on changing the door actuators complete with detailed photos on the site which I followed, you will need a spare pair of hands to hold the glass up at one point which is worth doing to start with, I tried on my own and it was far eiasier the moment help arrived.

Also take a really close look at how the wire cable clips lock into the mounts on the new actuator, they are a pig to get out as you can't see what you are doing. Once you look at the new part you can see how they fit in and they come out really easily.

On the part number, give Steve at Advanced Factors a call, he will know straight off what is right Smile TDV8 Java Black, Overfinch 22s

Post #512365 Thu Dec 15 2016 10:52pm
RRSCruiser

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Lost for Words wrote:
An important note on the brake switch fitting: Never release the plunger beforehand, as the switch is self-adjusting so can be damaged. Thumbs Up

I have a new switch arriving tomorrow, is it obvious (by a clip retainer or something) regarding your comment and the plunger, or do you hold the plunger in someway when fitting, I'd hate to break the one i ordered before the glove box spare arrives, which is now being ordered as I type LOL

Post #514294 Thu Jan 12 2017 10:06pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

You don't need to do anything; just refrain from doing anything with it. The plunger is released by the little catch (small black bit in the pic below) as you twist it into the bracket, so it will self release, but such things can be tempting to fiddle with! Thumbs Up

Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #514329 Fri Jan 13 2017 10:22am
RRSCruiser

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Hi

My faults were not the same as the OP, mine are/were detailed in my thread http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic46534.html

I fitted a brand new LR brake switch today, just elimnating any known causes and I also pulled the old switch apart and its identical to the first post with the arc marks and suspect contacts.

I just drove my car to a friends so it can be undercover for the next week whilst I try and go through all possible causes of these electronic gremlins. So far all undertrays off, ready to go through all wiring looms, plan to take out all the wheel arches so i can get to inspect the stuff under there. Also going to go through each ECU to check corrosion, pins and contacts, Iwill be buying a IID on monday to open the window to world the black box of landrover fault codes LOL

It may feel extreme but the car is near 10 years old, 134K, we love it and I plan to keep for some time yet so its a 10 year health check which hopefully clears up the gremlins that have appeared last week.

Just one bizarre observation tonight, when i parked up and did a few reverses in my friends garage ready for tomorrows strip down, I saw the transmission fault message, HDC off , special programs off. Basically all the faults that people were experiencing (but not me) and what this brake switch change has cured, in my case it has made them happen.

Thats a head scratcher for tommorrow, BIG glass of wine tonight in readiness

Any thoughts are most welcome

Post #514465 Sat Jan 14 2017 7:55pm
Alex C

Amazing that so many people have had similar problems, thought it was just my car which had all the gremlins!

When I went to the dealer to buy a new switch they said it wouldn't be the brake sensor but was probably the steering sensor, if changing your brake switch hasn't helped maybe look at that?

Also, what is to say the new switch isn't faulty, take it back and try a replacement?? Other thing people keep mentioning is brake light bulbs - are yours genuine and have you checked them?

Happy note my side is since changing the switch all has been perfect, no lights on the dash so these things are fixable!! TDV8 Java Black, Overfinch 22s

Post #514517 Sun Jan 15 2017 10:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>