RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Crickets in the car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

IRBails

Australia 
Crickets in the car

OK not really, I have been hearing this very soft clicking noise like a cricket makes . I had not noticed it before and thought perhaps it was tinnitus , some thing in the sound system or perhaps the air compressor running all the time??

Anyway tracked it down, only happens when I have the HUD turned on?

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this noise?

I have always had the HUD turned off as the numbers on the screen in front I find distracting. However ta few days ago I thought I'd try setting it up as the speed in front of me may help me keep my License in tact. It was only after starting it up that I started hearing the Crickets??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_(insect) M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #499443 Sat Jun 25 2016 5:57am
Fletcher

England 

No noise from my hud. Whole lotta Rosie coming from the stereo thought.

Post #499486 Sat Jun 25 2016 5:02pm
IRBails

Australia 

The noise is very faint, won't notice with the sound turned up ? Checked again today and the noise is definitely there with HUD turned on. It isn't something I'd get fixed, it may be that it is what it is. I am unsure what is used to generate the display or for that matter if a cooling fan is required? M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #499537 Sun Jun 26 2016 3:14pm
GJW1

United Kingdom 

No noise from mine.

Post #499538 Sun Jun 26 2016 3:31pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Check just in case for any fault codes, I'd get the dealer to sort it, as it seems you have traced the fault to the HUD, there hasn't been a Modification notification for this, so it could just be yours at fault at the moment. Ask your dealer to look into it for you and exchange if still under warranty. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #499553 Sun Jun 26 2016 7:38pm
IRBails

Australia 

MY HUD is definitely noisy very hard to hear but it is there. Others may have this noise but not notice it took me awhile to pick it up. I will wait until it gets to me before seeing dealer about it, I have found from previous experience that once dealers start tearing your car apart to fix things the journey to their door becomes constant getting them to re fix stuff ups. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #501661 Mon Jul 25 2016 11:48pm
IRBails

Australia 

Well my first service is about to happen. I have had it confirmed by others in the car that there is definitely a slight ticking noise when the HUD is activated. I will point this out to the dealer but I reckon it will be the same on all vehicles just not noticed by most.

Need to have all noise turned off and then stop and start the HUD. Would be very interested if anyone else notices the noise. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #512094 Mon Dec 12 2016 8:59am
Lyonhead

Wales 

No, no noise from mine either. I did have a slight clicking sound not long after I had the car but that was coming from the B pillar and was sorted by the dealership. ( documented elsewhere on forum, some others had it as well ).

I hope you get it sorted because if you're like me any noise inside that not supposed to be there is very annoying Evil or Very Mad

Good luck and try and keep us posted Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #512096 Mon Dec 12 2016 9:49am
IRBails

Australia 

Well had the first service today. Mentioned the crickets and the service manager said it is the cooling fan for the HUD and only people that are alert notice it! So I asked do all vehicles make the noise and he said about 50/50 . To fix it is dash out and this leads to the possibility that other issues may arise. So I am going to leave for now. Parking sensors were not on the update which has Censored me off. The service guy said he did search for the update but wasn't showing up. He said that perhaps the Australian updates vary from others so I am keen to find out. Rear diff seal was OK but I want mine replaced before warranty runs out this must be a fault. Service was a good price $595 less than the SQ5. Car seems to be much more responsive might be because I was driving a Disco sport for the day. Was pretty good talking to the service manager felt the guy actually new what he was on about. what was interesting is they take the sump plug out to change the oil , rationale was to see what is in the bottom of the sump? So 10 months for the first service , seems from discussion with the service manager that the oil condition monitor is an algorithm so RR has taken the cheap alternative again. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #512252 Wed Dec 14 2016 8:52am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

My SDv6 has just had the Q634 ECU update. I have found the throttle response is noticeably better since and the car leaps away from junctions with no hesitation (it wasn't bad before the update but occasionally frustrated trying to pull out onto a busy roundabout). Your car might also have had this update carried out during the service 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #512257 Wed Dec 14 2016 10:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IRBails

Australia 

You may be right Tim, I am having difficulty logging into Topix, seems anything to do with technology escapes Landrover, so I can't see if these updates apply to my vehicle?? After driving the disco sport , which I think isn't as good a car as the VW Tigan , my car car delt very lively more so than I could recall. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #512279 Wed Dec 14 2016 8:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1