RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > The Red Screen of Doom!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red
The Red Screen of Doom!

Well, it finally happened yesterday morning! I had the car on maintenance charge over night as the temperatures are permanently in the minus's in this part of the world just now. Took the CTEK off the car, jumped in to start and........ up comes the red screen and the warning bongs! "Battery level low start car immediately". When this came up, I felt the brake peddle tighten up and my seat returned to the "access" position. The car didn't start. Pressed the stop/start button again and the alarms went off, including the red screen, which just faded out to black. Got out of the car and "borrowed" the wife's car as I was on a mission. Came home again around 2 hours later and tried to start the RRS. It started as if nothing had been wrong previously. Took it on a run for 80 miles. Came home and all was sweetness and light. Phoned my local dealer who claimed to be really busy and suggested I call LR Assist. Which I duly did. What nice people LR have manning the phones in LR Assist, a part of the LR organisation that actually works as it is supposed to. In this part of the world the actual assistance is provided by the AA. However after 30 minutes the AA manny pitches up. Give him the story and he proceeds to unearth the battery in the boot and check out the readings. All fine, fully charged. Then checks out the alternator perfect no problems. Plugs in his diagnostic tool and Hallelujah up comes a Headline fault to do with the CAN bus and then about 21 subsidiary electrical faults. The car needs to go to the dealer for repair, let's see if it'll start. Starts without problem. Proceed to dealer with the AA man riding shotgun behind in case the car packed up on the 3 mile journey to the dealers. Go to check the car in and he shows the maintenance coordinator the faults on his diagnostic tool, which he has kept live since it was on the car. Coordinator says that there is a software fix for this and to bring the car in next week and they'll update the software. AA manie's hackles rise at this point and he informs them that this is not good enough, the car is not working as it should and that the car will remain with them until fixed and the Dealer is to supply a loan vehicle until fixed. Maintenance Coordinator gets a bit sheepish at this point and goes to get his Manger. Manager comes out and gets the full story. He agrees that the car should stay until the faults are fixed. I get a loaner, a 2015 Honda Civic (from their sister dealership next door). I am now awaiting a phone call to advise when I can pick the car up. The plot thickens!!!!

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #511028 Tue Nov 29 2016 12:05pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I've just got home from the LR Dealership in Stirling where they decided I needed a replacement front screen as the passenger side isn't defrosting (good job it is +8 here today!) but they also applied a software upgrade Q634 which is to cure some issues with the "Gateway Module" which controls start up processes so maybe this is the one you need to have Jock. I was told when I booked the car in that there were no loan cars available today, but as Morrison's has a host of franchises - Seat, FIAT, MG as well as LR on their site I have previously been offered Fiats as loaners and have turned them down and opted for the lift 16 miles home instead and have used my Defender if needed. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #511029 Tue Nov 29 2016 12:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JOCK55

Just phoned dealer to find out when my vehicle will be repaired. Was informed that it was due into the service bay on Thursday, should be ready for collection on Friday!! I hope so, as I am not enjoying this wee Honda Civic loaner they have palmed me off with. Will keep those interested updated.

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #511576 Mon Dec 05 2016 11:21am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Did you read Clarkson's review of the new Honda Jazz in the Sunday Times yesterday? Sounds like Honda has really lost the plot with their engines. They may not break down much but they seem to be terribly under powdered and not at all economical compared to other makers engines - he really objected to having to rev a 1.3 VTec engine to 5000 RPM to get the best out of it! Could be worse though you might have been offered a Fiat Punto if you had been to Stirling Land Rover! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #511577 Mon Dec 05 2016 11:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JOCK55

Hooray!! The nasty little Storm Silver, Honda Civic was returned to its owner today and I had my RRS returned from the dealer. In the little over a week that they had it, they managed to update several pieces of software Q634, which was the main culprit apparently, aided and abetted by Q640 which also was updated and while they were there, but unrelated (so they say) they also updated Q519 which is to do with the DPF, I believe. Also topped up the AdBlue for good measure.

I have to say that the car is running very smoothly now and it seems to have ironed out the jerkiness and some of the hesitation on take off from a standing start. At least, no more red screens of doom for the time being.

As some famous dude once said, "all's well that ends well"!!

Post #511920 Fri Dec 09 2016 7:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1