RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Put a deposit down
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Dudi

Put a deposit down

Evening,

So impulse got the better of me and I put a deposit down on a 1 year old RRS Autobiography SDV6. I'm yet to go see the car but due to the keen pricing and the colour/age/mileage I was looking for put a blind deposit down to take it off sale.

http://www.robinsonsmotorgroup.co.uk/auto-...y-dynamic/

When I go for a test drive on Saturday is there anything I should look out for? I've read the horror stories about sagging leather, it has a black interior which from the reports seem to suffer less.

It has about 19000 miles and is an ex Land Rover car. Should this be a concern? (I didn't want one with too little mileage as that could potentially be a reason for more issues down the line, at least thats what my logic said.)

It's being sold by a non Landrover franchise, should any problem arise do you think this would pose a problem down the line? It still has 18 months Land Rover warranty. I've spoken to my local dealer who say they would likely fix it but at the managers discretion and any cars sold by the dealer would take priority. Can't say I'm looking forward to dealing with them!

Apologies for the essay and hope some of you can help with the above.

Post #507207 Thu Oct 06 2016 6:53pm
HemoRRS

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Quote:

I've spoken to my local dealer who say they would likely fix it but at the managers discretion and any cars sold by the dealer would take priority.

Your local LR dealer said this? That's a terrible statement to make. If it still has manufacturers warranty they have to honour warranty claims!
Nice looking car though.

Post #507213 Thu Oct 06 2016 8:03pm
Dudi

Quote:
Your local LR dealer said this? That's a terrible statement to make. If it still has manufacturers warranty they have to honour warranty claims!

Exactly my thoughts! I taken aback by that statement as it didn't make sense. Surely they just claim from Land Rover so just more work but if they're so busy I can see how they may choose to prioritise their own customers.

Post #507219 Thu Oct 06 2016 8:32pm
Fletcher

England 

Looks great , I would try and get a bit more out of the selling dealer as its a good sale for them as its covered by the manufacturers warranty , don't buy their extended cover. Does it have the 5 year service pack, if not get them to get it done by landrover.
Good luck .

Post #507225 Thu Oct 06 2016 8:58pm
Dudi

Service pack is definitely something I would be keen to have. Forgot to check that today. From what I have seen it needs to be registered within 90 days of the car being registered or can I just buy that as an addition even when the car is 16 months old?

Post #507228 Thu Oct 06 2016 9:29pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

It's a small saving on a 15 reg main dealer price. It's 18 month old, not 1 year old. I'm not sure I'd enjoy buying from a car supermarket, personally. But being under manufacturers warranty is reassuring, so if the history, number of owners etc stacks up then why not save £2k or so and go for it? It looks in good shape... maybe it was one of their director's cars or something. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #507229 Thu Oct 06 2016 9:47pm
Dudi

It is a relatively small saving but I couldn't see a good reason to pay more to buy used from a main dealer. I would still choose to have any remedial work done at my local dealer due to my rural location and like you say warranty is the same.

I've managed to save over 2k for an equivalent car from the dealer which is 2+ years of free diesel for our use. I'm happy with that, just hope the car is as expected with no faults.

As per my original post, anything particular I should look for? Is there a buying guide for an L494 I could refer to?

Post #507234 Thu Oct 06 2016 11:10pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

If it has had the service as per schedule (16k miles or 12 months, whichever came first), according to LR spec and there are no non-standard performance enhancements etc. then the warranty is intact. No reason for LR dealer to not carry out any work. Very unprofessional of them to say that cars sold by them would take priority and yours would only be repaired at manager's discretion Shocked I bought my first Sport from a private seller - no issues in servicing, warranty and non-warranty repairs at LR dealer. Second Sport was bought used from one dealer but serviced at another. Third Sport bought new at one dealer and recently had service and warranty work at a different dealer. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #507236 Fri Oct 07 2016 12:00am
forest172

United Kingdom 

I wouldnt use that dealer ever again. What a silly thing to say

I`ve just sold my MY15 HSE RRS to my friend which I purchased it from somebody private.

5 weeks later the engines gone bang at 14,000 miles. It`s now in Land rover having a new engine fitted

Post #507247 Fri Oct 07 2016 9:50am
Dudi

I'm not too concerned regarding what the dealer said TBH, he did backtrack on that comment towards the end of the conversation but I think typical hard selling tactics from the salesman as I initially called to see whether they had any used stock which they didn't which lead me to question servicing if I bought from an alternative dealer. I'm sure the service department will be happy with the extra work. Also the logistics mean that it's a 5 minute drive to this dealer or a further 2.5 hours to the next one.

How long can I expect a set of tyres to last with regular road use? Any specific drive settings I should try on the test drive to check for faults?

Post #507250 Fri Oct 07 2016 10:14am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Sounds like the dealer you spoke to realised too late just what he had said and tried to back down, was a bit p*ssed off that you didn't buy one of the cars from his forecourt and pay the extra 2k into his pocket. I appreciate that you live rurally but there are lots of LR dealerships around so for that (hopefully) once a year visit to a service bay it might be nice to avoid your local dealer............. What to look for: check that if it has the towing electrics but no Deployable towbar that the removable one is in the spare wheel well, dealer's staff often remove them from used cars to sell on on eBay or forums.......... Nice little earner for no effort. As it is coming from a non-franchised dealer get the VIN and registration number and go into Land Rover Topix website to see if it has any outstanding recalls/ mods to be done and ask the dealer to get it into a franchised dealership to get them upgraded before you will take the car. Service on time is most important as LR can decline warranty repairs to mechanicals/suspension/ transmission if the servicing is not carried out in the time frame. Looking on Topix should also let you know if the car was purchased with the optional extra of the servicing deal as it was a "factory" option, if not if you look in the owner's handbook you should be able to find out who the supplying dealer was at new and check with them. There isn't a lot to look out for on a newish RRS, fuel tank slap occurs on some cars but not others (tank below half full and go round a corner or stop quickly and you hear the fuel sloshing in the tank) I have it on mine but prefer to keep the tank more than ½ full unless I'm on a long journey when I will put up with slap until I get away from motorway rip off fuel prices! If it has red brake calipers check the paint isn't fade for peeling and check that there isn't any loose trim on the A or B pillars as has been reported by some owners (it makes an annoying rattle). Cannot think of much else to look out for.
Edit, just thought of another check! Start the car up and with the gear selector in P or N select low range on the Hi/Lo button, make sure that all the doors are closed but have the driver's door window down and listen for the selection of the low range gears - if it isn't almost silent (it will make a whirling noise but very quiet) and shift smoothly then the transfer system hasn't received its monthly exercise. You might never want to go off-road but it should still work and if it doesn't it needs to be fixed before you take the car. Also the car should sit level with the air suspension at off road height or normal or access height so put it through the full range of heights, that too should be almost silent apart from some groans from the brakes (best done with no parking brake engaged or pressure on the foot brake. BTW don't drive the car in low range on the tarred road, you can cause transmission damage.... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #507264 Fri Oct 07 2016 2:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dudi

Tim you're a credit to Scotland Smile

That's exactly the type of advice I was looking for.

Post #507279 Fri Oct 07 2016 4:58pm
Dudi

Went to see the car and really liked it. Drove really well and pulled smoothly on the test drive with no discernible noises creaks etc. There is some minor paint pealing on the rear calipers which I'm not concerned about, leather was near perfect.

Logged onto the Topix website and it states "There are currently no outstanding Field Service Actions for this vehicle" which I assume means no recalls to be carried out.

The car has a emissions of 185g/km on the DVLA website which means it appears to have the 306 bhp SDV6 engine, could someone confirm when this engine was introduced? I'm looking on the Land Rover used website and many of the 15 reg cars have 199 g/km older engine.

Post #507406 Sun Oct 09 2016 1:05pm
wilf

I thought that engine came in with MY16? MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #507445 Sun Oct 09 2016 8:35pm
Dudi

I went through the specs carefully again and Topix does actually state "Engine power source 225/700" i.e 225KW/700NM which is the spec of the newer engine.

Post #507449 Sun Oct 09 2016 8:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>