RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Bike Rack - No Tow Bar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

jeremyrr

Bike Rack - No Tow Bar

I am looking for a bike rack to take 1 adult and 2 children's bikes for a 2014 Range Rover Sport.

Google brings up some forum posts, but they all focus on the tow bar solution .... and i dont have ( nor want!) a tow bar.

I also dont want roof mount as I wont get up there!

That leaves the strap on the back type that range from 20( eBay) to 100 ( Halfords - good write up).

The snag is that all of these rely on straps that clip to the top of the boot lid --- which is a plastic spiller on an RRS.

The main load seems to be transferred downward onto the bumper, but there will i assume be some load on it, more so with wind at 70 mph.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendation please of a strap on bike rack for a RRS?

Thank you

Post #507092 Wed Oct 05 2016 1:17pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I have heard of people damaging spoilers and paintwork using this type of rack. My personal opinion is I wouldn't trust that sort of weight on the straps either having seen or followed people, and watched the bikes bouncing around on the back Shocked

I guess you pay your money & take your choice.

Welcome to the forum by the way Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #507096 Wed Oct 05 2016 3:17pm
jeremyrr

I agree but the alternative seems to be 700 odd for a tow bar and then still 100 + for the rack!

Most will be local work, but I do have a centre parks trip coming up which will probably be the longest journey.

Post #507097 Wed Oct 05 2016 3:22pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars-and-wiri...wbars.html

Both Witter & Westfalia do the detachable tow bars for half the money you listed above in the link but no idea reference electrics.

Hopefully someone with more experience of your shape sport will be able to comment on electric loom for you but they do list it on their site Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #507101 Wed Oct 05 2016 4:21pm
ianmo

United Kingdom 

Hi, I have a Saris Gran Fondo 2 Bike Boot Rack, I have used it on my Touareg and hoping that it will be ok for the RRS when it is delivered in March.

https://www.evanscycles.com/saris-gran-fon...k-EV144375

Post #514182 Wed Jan 11 2017 11:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1