RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > RRS or 405 your help needed!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Bear100

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Nara Bronze
RRS or 405 your help needed!!

The time has now come to buy my first 405 Very Happy

Trouble is i also took the RRS out for a test drive Very Happy

And as such stuck in a dilemma

I have owned a RRS previously although the model previous and loved it, but i have never had a FFRR and have always promised myself one Embarassed

i took out the 405 3.0 and the 4.4 there was a much better feel and prowess in the 4.4 (so that was that dilemma put to bed in my head!)
i took out the 3.0 RRS and it also felt really good Mr. Green
i then was offered to take out a supercharged RRS and WOW i loved it it was awesome i mean absolutely Censored awesome Very Happy but being 37 with two kids and occasionally towing a caravan i think the supercharged may not look right Neutral

So what are the pros and cons for the RRS and 405 to help me out? Range Rover Sport HSE TDV8 MY2010
Discovery 3 HSE 2007
Discovery 2 TD5 (gone)
Discovery 300 tdi
Range Rover Bobtail (gone)
90 hybrid (gone)

Post #498986 Sun Jun 19 2016 10:00am
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Question: do you wear slippers and smoke a pipe? 

Post #498987 Sun Jun 19 2016 10:13am
wilf

I tried out both before settling on the Sport.

The Sport is far more of a "drivers car", so long as it has the chassis "dynamic" pack, and resists roll remarkably.

The FFRR I found was more of a "floaty limo", best way I can describe it. Still remarkably capable though.

But I do enjoy the twisties in the Sport................ and any version will tow 3500kg from memory.

If you do go for the s/c 5.0, you have a sports car, family car, and utility car all in one. And a V8 warble. What more could you need? MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #498989 Sun Jun 19 2016 10:24am
sagalout

I had a 2011 RRS and earlier this year bought an L405. I test drove the diesel RRS against it and loved the extra refinement of the L405 at the time. Like you I'd promised myself one for quite a while.

Unfortunately after just 6 weeks I was bored of it, and I'm not someone who changes cars very often, usually keeping them for 4 or 5 years. Yes, it's very very conformable and luxurious, but you're also very aware that it wants to be driven in such a way. I ended up test driving an SVR and my mind was made up within about 30 seconds. Had the SVR for about 4 months now and absolutely love it.

I'm averaging about 22mpg, with longer runs being easily over 25mpg so the extra fuel cost, at least for my 10k per year isn't a huge consideration, and the power delivery of the supercharged V8 is just wonderful.

Even though I lost a fair bit on the 405, for me, if you're going to spend that much on a car you need to really love it, and I just couldn't with the 405, but it does depend a bit on how you drive. I also found the 405 just a little too large at times, whereas the RRS feels more compact but is almost as practical. It's a shame that both cars have compromised boot space with the lack of tumble down seats though - thats' my only complaint, and a backwards step from my older RRS.

SVR prices seem to be holding quite well too - looking on Autotrader there isn't a single SVR cheaper than I paid 4 months ago, They will likely tank a bit when the new model comes out, but the 405's seem to drop faster.

Post #498995 Sun Jun 19 2016 11:13am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black
Re: RRS or 405 your help needed!!

Bear100 wrote:

i then was offered to take out a supercharged RRS and WOW i loved it it was awesome i mean absolutely Censored awesome Very Happy but being 37 with two kids and occasionally towing a caravan i think the supercharged may not look right Neutral

"One Life Live It" Age is a State of Mind, I have my Bus Pass and although it's a RRS 1 5.0L S/C I have just had it Re-mapped and S/C Pulley changed by Alive Tuning and it goes like S**t off a Shovel Very Happy so go for it. Thumbs Up

Cheers
Col

Post #499008 Sun Jun 19 2016 12:15pm
Fletcher

England 

Having owned vogues for years , classics , p38 and then the l322 I did feel the sport was a compromise but after nine months of ownership and clocking up nearly 2,000 miles I love it . You still get the same feeling and although the sport is slightly smaller it makes up for it in so many ways when you drive it in the dynamic mode .
If you can take a sport out on your own , put a good cd in , get comfortable , select dynamic , then knock it into sport and hold on tight.

Post #499017 Sun Jun 19 2016 1:14pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Also a world of different between the L320 (RRS1) and L494 (RRS2). The former was a Disco with attitude, the latter is a Range Rover for drivers. 

Post #499022 Sun Jun 19 2016 3:41pm
Autobiography

Lucky enough to have an SDV8 AB L405 and an SDV6 AB L494.

The only thing I notice is the L494 has a more plasticky cabin but aside from that the ride and performance I much prefer.

Post #499025 Sun Jun 19 2016 4:36pm
Bear100

Thanks guys!

At the moment the....................supercharged is winning in the "in my head dilemma"

After all if it wasn't the right choice I can always sell it! And probably loose a packet!! Embarassed Range Rover Sport HSE TDV8 MY2010
Discovery 3 HSE 2007
Discovery 2 TD5 (gone)
Discovery 300 tdi
90 hybrid (gone)

Post #499029 Sun Jun 19 2016 6:13pm
GJW1

United Kingdom 

Go with your heart it will cost you 25% in the first year if you don't in depreciation.

Post #499039 Sun Jun 19 2016 7:35pm
Triumph_Dave

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Re: RRS or 405 your help needed!!

Bear100 wrote:
The time has now come to buy my first 405 Very Happy

Trouble is i also took the RRS out for a test drive Very Happy

And as such stuck in a dilemma

I have owned a RRS previously although the model previous and loved it, but i have never had a FFRR and have always promised myself one Embarassed

i took out the 405 3.0 and the 4.4 there was a much better feel and prowess in the 4.4 (so that was that dilemma put to bed in my head!)
i took out the 3.0 RRS and it also felt really good Mr. Green

So what are the pros and cons for the RRS and 405 to help me out?

For me the decision would hinge on 2-3 areas.
1. RRS2 boot space is not that well thought through, compared with the old model it is a mere shadow of its former self. It will take suit cases but forget trying to get anything overlay large in it.. its overall shape plus the inability of the rear seats to fold flat totally compromises this area.
2. Driving style. RRS drives a little better than the full fat in the twisties. The the full fat is much better on a motorway large trunk road.
3. Choice of engine.. Grunt vs economy..

If I had a choice between the two I would go with a full fat and the largest engine I can get in it Smile .. The one thing that puts me off buying another RRS or Full Fat is the LR quality issues ( leather and poor trim plastic choice/durability ) and the apparent poor attitude from LR/dealers with regard to issues such as the poor leather. D4 2012 Santorini Black gone
RRS 2013 Santorini HSE Black gone
MY2016 RRS HSE Dynamic arrived September, but will it stay.. maybe not.

Post #499054 Mon Jun 20 2016 8:56am
Bear100

It's so difficult to decide Evil or Very Mad Range Rover Sport HSE TDV8 MY2010
Discovery 3 HSE 2007
Discovery 2 TD5 (gone)
Discovery 300 tdi
90 hybrid (gone)

Post #499072 Mon Jun 20 2016 1:07pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Having a caravan to haul is no reason not to buy the S/C, after all you only haul them for a few days a year and not every day. The fuel consumption when towing will not be anything to shout about, but then think how many Nectar/ Shell points that you can rack up to buy a few cases of beers/ wine to enjoy when you get to your destination! S/C can tow as much as any other RRS/FFRR and also comes with Dynamic Pack as standard on L494 so you have the full dual range gear box to help get you off muddy caravan sites................. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #499077 Mon Jun 20 2016 2:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fletcher

England 

Have you asked your dealer for a 48 hour test on each one .

Post #499081 Mon Jun 20 2016 3:57pm
Bear100

I haven't fletcher! Do they do this? Range Rover Sport HSE TDV8 MY2010
Discovery 3 HSE 2007
Discovery 2 TD5 (gone)
Discovery 300 tdi
90 hybrid (gone)

Post #499086 Mon Jun 20 2016 4:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>