RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > the new tesco advert regarding returning goods
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

pko

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey
the new tesco advert regarding returning goods

Hi all, having recently seen the Tesco advert when Tesco claim any item can be returned, the advert shows 2 people returning fruit. When I first saw this i was concerned over food safety fears, as no one can tell what has happened to these items whilst they've been away from the store, & with so many idiots about these days it wouldn't take much to inject noxious substances into these items. My wife thought that these items would be destroyed on return to the store. However, this morning whilst she was in Tesco she asked the cashier "what happens to returned food items". At first the cashier didn't know, but made enquires, & her answer was, "as far as I'm aware, if they look ok they go back on the shelves for re-sale" I'm amazed and horrified. I have contacted Tesco directly regarding this and await their response.

Post #498098 Tue Jun 07 2016 11:50am
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

It is strange what happens to returned goods in ALL stores, if the item is still in date, looks ok then it is returned for sale.
Even clothing stores often return to sale and they could have been worn to a party. Only some items that are damaged get sold in other disposal type shops.
Food, if canned or sealed is no problem for resale, frozen goods are risky if thawed and shouldn't be put back in the store.
Fruit and perishables is down to company policy, many put them in the food bins for disposal, but often for reasons not known, staff take it on their own backs to put back for sale. If it's same day and a short time later, they are generally returned for sale, whether this keeps up with current regulations I don't remember, the best people to ask would be Enviro entail Health and Trading Standards. Companies may well have a policy to destroy or sell off cheap, but policies don't always get followed, if a refund is given, many "smaller" places would resell, or soon go out of business, even major stores given refunds (Tesco advert says item must still be before sell by date) can't afford to keep throwing things out.
The answer? Other than items all being vacuum packed and refunds only given if no seal broken, it is difficult.
Anyone can inject anything when vegetables are in the open for you to select, people handling these foods while selecting could have anything wrong with them, people want to select there vegetables preferably loose and open. If you are worried by this, don't purchase loose open items. Wink John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #498105 Tue Jun 07 2016 1:26pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

wouldnt want a pig returning that DC had bought in error

Post #498112 Tue Jun 07 2016 2:24pm
Danv8

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Alaska White

My wife once returned a joint a beef she bought in Asda, AFTER IT HAD BEEN COOKED! It was cooked medium ( very slightly still pink, but when it come to cut it, even our electric carving knife wouldn't cut through it, It was like boot leather. So she put it in the packaging and took it back.. Got a refund and a free replacement joint. The one slice she did cut i ate with my dinner. lol I was embarresed enough just sitting in the car waiting, let alone have the nerve to return a cooked joint..lol
Shes even taken back grapes that were too sour before as well.

Post #498116 Tue Jun 07 2016 3:18pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Yep, I can't help but think it isn't a plus. I mean, I am never goinng to change my mind about buying food from a supermarket, and I don't see why any sane person shouldn't be able to manage the same. Rolling Eyes

"Ohh dear, I think I should have got a pineapple instead of a melon."

Tough! You made a mistake. It's £2 - get over it and just buy a Censored pineapple! Rolling Eyes

(Edit: Notwithstanding quality issues etc., of course.) Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #498117 Tue Jun 07 2016 3:24pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I don't believe it's a problem any of the supermarkets would do the same. The problem is Tesco is loosing customers in droves and they will grasp anything that might make people return to their stores. Just keep taking those water melons back and exchanging them for pineapples as it helps keep me in a job carting them around the world in atmosphere controlled shipping containers Very Happy You would be amazed where things like Watermelons get shipped from and how much value the acquire on the passage......... Whole watermelon in Malaysia (a huge shipper of watermelons) cost about $1.50........................ Whole watermelon in Japan sells for $60-$100 more if the skin is unblemished. How much is a whole watermelon in the UK? £7-50+? We ship 40-50 x 40 units of them out of Malaysia to Europe a WEEK so please keep buying them and returning them! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #498123 Tue Jun 07 2016 4:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Danv8

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Alaska White

"How much is a whole watermelon in the UK? £7-50+?"

Where do you shop? Whole water melon in Asda £3 lidl's even better £2.39! Lol

Post #498136 Tue Jun 07 2016 5:43pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I can't stand watermelon so never shop for them hence not knowing the UK price - when I order provisions for my ship I buy them because they are very popular with all the rest of the crew and when bought in local markets all over the world are dirt cheap! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #498138 Tue Jun 07 2016 6:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pko

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey
response from Tesco

I contacted Tesco regarding this and their response is below,

We're more than happy to refund or exchange perishable food items for you within the 'Use By' date on the product. There are some exceptions to this such as the fresh perishable items which are used in the advert, which need to be returned within their use by date. These items will not be returned to the shelves or sold to another of our customers. There is a disclaimer at the bottom of the advert stating this.

If you'd like more information on this, you can find it in our Terms & Conditions at Tesco.com/returns.

I have also placed some questions and answers below for you.

Can perishable goods be returned?

Of course they can, however we ask that perishable food be returned before the “Used By” date on the packaging.

I’m worried that food may be unhygienic or unsuitable for consumption if it is returned, is it returned to the shelf?

We completely understand. The freshness and quality of the products you buy is really important to us. Fresh produce will not be put back on the shelves or be available for purchase.

What do you do with food you are not reselling?

If we are unable to sell or redistribute food for human consumption, it becomes food waste. Where possible we send food waste to animal feed – our bakery waste is managed in this way. If this is not possible, we recover energy from food waste through anaerobic digestion or incineration. We have achieved zero food waste direct to landfill since 2009.​

Post #498194 Wed Jun 08 2016 11:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1