RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > L494
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
L494

I have just driven 551 miles over a 9 hour period, Bedford to Plymouth and back to Bedford.

During the trip I used a tank of fuel and averaged 65mph and 37.2mpg.

I arrived home fresh and relaxed, and have to say just what a fantastic car the RRS2 is!

Jim

Post #491742 Fri Mar 25 2016 8:22pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I did a similar mileage this week , Wirral to Luton, then to Sandown Park, then Dorset, over to Bristol , and back and averaged 31.2 mpg. But then most of the yesterday was spent toiling around Bristol which is an utter nightmare , and then 6 hrs heading back up north via the parking lot that is the M5...plus picking up the obligatory stone chip on the windscreen of the RRS 2.
Spent one hour with the engine off at 8pm attempting to join the M6 from the M5 , but then had a real blast up the M54 and A41 to Chester, in dynamic mode.
Why would anyone want to live in Bristol? It's worse than London.

Post #491750 Fri Mar 25 2016 10:08pm
Wattsy

England 

Last June I did Bilbao to Lagos (Algarve) 730 miles in 10 hours, average speed 73 including 2 comfort stops, 24 mpg 5.0 sc, a great trip

Post #491970 Mon Mar 28 2016 2:20pm
jpegnall

United Kingdom 

I enjoy the drive so much we are driving to Scotland rather than flying from London for a 4 day break.

Post #491982 Mon Mar 28 2016 5:49pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I do the Stirling / London / Stirling run regularly, keep your speed sensible and if you leave London and come up the M40/M42/M6/M74/ M80, take a short break at Gaydon and top up your fuel at the village Esso station you will get all the way with only comfort stops. Then come off the M9 at J10, right below Stirling Castle and you can fill up again on sainsbury's forecourt before heading further north. I recommend the Gaydon stop at the British Motor Heritage Centre cafe too, far nicer than any motorway stop and sensible prices then I usually stop at Stafford, Keele of Sandbach (I do the run on my own so tend to break every 2.5 hours) then I make a big stop at Teebay Services to do my shopping at their wonderful farm shop (The stop is owned privately and isn't part of the usual gang of robbing companies that operate the services on the motorways). Drive at a sensible speed and you will do it in 8 hours, a bit quicker if you have a couple of drivers to share, but in an RRS who wants to share the driving! I've done it coming up the M1 but the traffic at the south end is much better on the M40 if you leave London around 8am. Going south I usually leave Stirling around 3pm and stop overnight at Lancaster Holiday Inn or Premier Inn then l;eave around 9am after the Lancaster/ Manchester-Liverpool rush hour has died down, also I have never had to use the Toll Road section of the M6 in 15 years and south bound have generally had a clear (and no extra cost!) trip round Brum, coming north where the M5 and M6 meet can sometimes be a bit busy though, but I've never been held up more than about 15 minutes.
You might also be interested in this if you are heading even further north https://www.northcoast500.com/home.aspx
Thanks to Jock for sending me the link, I hope to do some of it this year 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #492003 Mon Mar 28 2016 9:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IRBails

Australia 
Re: L494

jim4244 wrote:
I have just driven 551 miles over a 9 hour period, Bedford to Plymouth and back to Bedford.

During the trip I used a tank of fuel and averaged 65mph and 37.2mpg.

I arrived home fresh and relaxed, and have to say just what a fantastic car the RRS2 is!

Jim

I just did around 500 miles, 800 klms and got 38.1730995 mpg in the SVD8. Was very impressed , 120 kph on the clock , which reads 6 k fast . Could not believe how good the fuel was , still had more than a third of a tank left.
Click image to enlarge
 M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #492013 Mon Mar 28 2016 10:31pm
jpegnall

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
I do the Stirling / London / Stirling run regularly, keep your speed sensible and if you leave London and come up the M40/M42/M6/M74/ M80, take a short break at Gaydon and top up your fuel at the village Esso station you will get all the way with only comfort stops. Then come off the M9 at J10, right below Stirling Castle and you can fill up again on sainsbury's forecourt before heading further north. I recommend the Gaydon stop at the British Motor Heritage Centre cafe too, far nicer than any motorway stop and sensible prices then I usually stop at Stafford, Keele of Sandbach (I do the run on my own so tend to break every 2.5 hours) then I make a big stop at Teebay Services to do my shopping at their wonderful farm shop (The stop is owned privately and isn't part of the usual gang of robbing companies that operate the services on the motorways). Drive at a sensible speed and you will do it in 8 hours, a bit quicker if you have a couple of drivers to share, but in an RRS who wants to share the driving! I've done it coming up the M1 but the traffic at the south end is much better on the M40 if you leave London around 8am. Going south I usually leave Stirling around 3pm and stop overnight at Lancaster Holiday Inn or Premier Inn then l;eave around 9am after the Lancaster/ Manchester-Liverpool rush hour has died down, also I have never had to use the Toll Road section of the M6 in 15 years and south bound have generally had a clear (and no extra cost!) trip round Brum, coming north where the M5 and M6 meet can sometimes be a bit busy though, but I've never been held up more than about 15 minutes.
You might also be interested in this if you are heading even further north https://www.northcoast500.com/home.aspx
Thanks to Jock for sending me the link, I hope to do some of it this year

Great info, thanks!

Post #492017 Mon Mar 28 2016 10:53pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Forgot to say that if you use the main entrance to the BMHC Gaydon you should tell the reception/ ticket desk that you only want to go to the Cafe and they won't charge you an entry fee for the museum. Alternatively, instead of parking in the main car park, drive up the hill to the conference Centre entrance and you can access the cafe and loos via the con=fern eve Centre entrance. When I drove north in October the slip road off to Gaydon was being rebuilt so check first that it is fully open again. Midweek you will often see new (disguised) JLR and Aston Martin products under development being road tested on the local roads! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #492039 Tue Mar 29 2016 8:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1