RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Diesel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

jpegnall

United Kingdom 
Diesel

Do people use the premium stuff? Do you notice any difference in performance and economy?

Post #490590 Fri Mar 11 2016 9:43am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I've only ever used it when I had a 2007 TDv8 after the local supermarket got done for adding water to the ordinary diesel and then I only put a couple of tanks full through it...... The only difference I felt was the hit to my bank account, no significant improvement to the fuel consumption or performance but for the rest of the 3+ years that I had that car I used "branded" diesel rather than supermarket stuff unless supermarket diesel was all I could get when I was away from home. Now with my SDv6 I have only ever run on the cheapest diesel I can find and it still goes like stink! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #490593 Fri Mar 11 2016 10:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

In the sport I only use the premium stuff, so it costs abit more, so what.. In the 90 I use normal but only branded fuel wouldn't use the supermarket crap if they where giving it away.. 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Last edited by Camelrock on Fri Mar 11 2016 2:13pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #490598 Fri Mar 11 2016 11:28am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

I converted from cheapest available supermarket Diesel to Shell V Power Nitro+ Diesel when I had my 2.7 TDV6. At that time I noticed a slight improvement in consumption over a few brim to brim fill ups but not enough to cover the price difference. I also felt it became a little smoother but admittedly that could be placebo effect as I have no scientific data to back this up.

I still carried on with Nitro+ Diesel with that car and never put anything else in my next and current 3.0 SDV6 even though I haven't tried to measure the impact on the last 2 cars. For my mileage, it only costs an extra £160-£180 per annum (at current prices) so if it s better for the engine it is not a huge cost. Improvement in fuel economy (if there is any) is a bonus. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #490601 Fri Mar 11 2016 11:42am
wilf

I have over 150,000 miles in three different diesel cars spreadsheeted and analysed for every single fill to fill, and I can tell you now that there was NO difference in mpg observed when I trialled the "super" fuels. None, nada, zilch, SFA.

I have tried those "super" fuels several times, too. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #490603 Fri Mar 11 2016 11:56am
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Personally I don't use the premium for the better fuel eco Rolling with laughter I use it to hopefully clean the fuel system, healthier injectors etc. Who cares what the brim to brim mpg is !! If you are then sorry but it sounds like your in the wrong car and should be driving around in an eco box.. 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #490613 Fri Mar 11 2016 2:19pm
iainm

United Kingdom 

only every used Nitro, on the previous X5 there was a difference in economy, but with the RRS, I never bother looking. I do know the X5 used to hold £120 and the RRS around £80

Post #490614 Fri Mar 11 2016 2:26pm
wilf

Well Camelrock, that wasn't actually my point, just debunking one of the myths about these premium fuels. And answering 50% of the OP's questions, very on topic really.

As to other intangible benefits - prove it, lol.

I don't accept terms such as "cleaner", "better", "healthier"........they are meaningless without evidence.

The only evidence I can proffer is that in those 150,000 miles I never saw any mpg improvement using fuel that cost more than it needed to, and on engines used almost exclusively to a diet of the supermarkets cheapest, never had a fuel system problem either.

So therefore I reject the marketeer's proposition and will spend the money saved on other things like designer Gin lol. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #490615 Fri Mar 11 2016 2:31pm
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

I feel like I am treating the RRS when giving Super (admittedly unleaded), beyond that, and feeling good about it, I have noticed a tiny, and I mean tiny increase in MPG, however this is all off topic as its petrol lol - sorry.

Wilf - I understand why you spreadsheeted - curiosity and wanting to prove/dis-prove a theory I am guessing. Just because someone measures what they put in their car doesn't mean they should be driving an "eco box". Look after the pennies and all that jazz!

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #490618 Fri Mar 11 2016 3:22pm
Blueskye1

Wales 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

fkarim wrote:
I converted from cheapest available supermarket Diesel to Shell V Power Nitro+ Diesel when I had my 2.7 TDV6. At that time I noticed a slight improvement in consumption over a few brim to brim fill ups but not enough to cover the price difference. I also felt it became a little smoother but admittedly that could be placebo effect as I have no scientific data to back this up.

I still carried on with Nitro+ Diesel with that car and never put anything else in my next and current 3.0 SDV6 even though I haven't tried to measure the impact on the last 2 cars. For my mileage, it only costs an extra £160-£180 per annum (at current prices) so if it s better for the engine it is not a huge cost. Improvement in fuel economy (if there is any) is a bonus.

Recently changed to Shell Nitro+Diesal & notice a big enough difference on the running enough to continue even with the extra cost.

Haven't measured the improved mpg yet..Shell also quote & @ my local garage did that it will clean injectors etc & save on service costs..not sure how I or they can prove that fact Question

Anybody else switched.. please also be aware that they offer Nitro+ in unleaded as well..made that costly mistake recently Big Cry

Andrew My first RRS HSE Purchased June 2016
Java Black 2.7
Date of first registration 22 February 2008
Cousin of the King of Stamford Bridge R.I.P. Ossie

Last edited by Blueskye1 on Wed Nov 16 2016 6:20pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #510191 Wed Nov 16 2016 4:32pm
Russben

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I use 'branded' fuel (usually Texaco) and only ever use supermarket fuel if the car is very low and I can't find a branded station or if I can't be bothered to go searching.

Occasionally I treat it to a tank of the premium diesel if there is an offer on or if the price difference isn't huge. I also treat it to Millers fuel additive & 300mls of 2stroke semi-synthetic oil every now and then. Aparently it lubricates the fuel pump seals and injectors. No idea if there is any proven benefit to the 2 stroke oil, but there are lots of comments both positive and dubious on the Freel2 forum.

Mine does seem to run smoother with the Millers additive if used regularly.

I used to use shell Vpower in a Jag diesel I had and there was a noticable difference in economy and smoothness, but with the smoothness and generally low MPG of the V6 diesel RRS I don't see any difference. I'm in the shed, I'll be back in the real world in a minute.

Post #510193 Wed Nov 16 2016 5:37pm
Jase3983yorkshire

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

I use supermarket plus millers diesel eco max additive every time, I usually get about 6 tanks to every millers bottle so it only works out at £2 extra per fill up.

Post #510200 Wed Nov 16 2016 7:12pm
Russben

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Sorry slightly off topic but I just realised I missed my 200th birthday. (200 posts) Thumbs Up I'm in the shed, I'll be back in the real world in a minute.

Post #510221 Wed Nov 16 2016 10:44pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Part timer then Russben .............. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #510226 Thu Nov 17 2016 12:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Triple7

United Kingdom 

I use Shell Nitro V-Power. I find it results in no smoke (previous D3) runs quieter and does feel like more power.

In the end it is the additives in fuel which are the real reasons to use it. Gone:
2016.5MY RRS HSE Dyn
2015MY Disco Sport HSE
2011MY FL2 HSE
2010MY RRS HSE
2008MY D3 HSE

Post #510277 Thu Nov 17 2016 10:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>