RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Auto Start Stop
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Autobiography

Guess you'll have to remember not to take your seat belt off!!

Post #486356 Tue Feb 02 2016 7:21am
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

So, given that there has always been a lot of controversy and dissent about this auto-stop feature, why don't Land Rover allow a "set default" option in the GUI? This would satisfy everyone.

I personally find it very annoying when reversing/going forwards/reversing when parking and I switch off this system every journey. Regards

Malcolm

Post #486359 Tue Feb 02 2016 9:07am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

^^^ Emission regulations may be?

I have got into the habit of turning auto stop/start off at the same time I raise the car from access to normal height i.e. as soon as I set off (I don't want to drive in access height at all so don't wait for it to auto raise).

Reading some of the comments here, I am going to let it do its thing for a while to see how we get on. The only 2 issues I have with the system are:
1. It starts to kick in when the engine is not warm enough (in my opinion).
2. In crawl-stop-start traffic it does it so frequently that I start worrying whether it is bad for the engine and battery. At least my battery stays on a trickle charger overnight and when not in use so may be less of an issue. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #486361 Tue Feb 02 2016 9:42am
scrumps

United Kingdom 

Hi,

Try flicking the left paddle to engage 1st gear when you stop.

On SWMBO's D4 selecting a gear disables the stop/ start. Don't know about RRS2 ...for another 28 days.....the online owners manual says it does but on 1st March I can try for myself!

Scrumps Somerset - Where the apples do grow and the cider do flow!
2021 Defender 90 D250 HSE in Tasman with white roof.
24MY D300 AB - Verasine Blue - 😀
19MY SDV6 AB - Byron Blue - Gone
17MY D5 SDV6 HSE - Firenze Red - Gone
16MY SDV6 AB -Aruba Silver - Gone
13.5MY SDV6 "HSE Black" - Baltic Blue - Gone
10MY TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Gone
14MY D4 HSE in Scotia Grey - Gone
05 TD5 D90 CSW in Cairns Blue

Post #486371 Tue Feb 02 2016 12:20pm
Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind the feature in certain circumstances like traffic in town. However I find it extremely annoying when in the country and looking to rapidly pull out from junctions when the engine decides to stop. I also am capable of pushing the button to turn it off. I would just rather not so if I could set the default setting for the feature to be off rather than on.

Post #486408 Tue Feb 02 2016 10:28pm
whippetman

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Bobajob
My exact sentiment.
Often shuts down just at the moment you want floor it at a junction.
Mine still cuts in in sport and dynamic modes, Confused

Post #486423 Wed Feb 03 2016 7:16am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If you are at a junction with a "Stop" sign and "Stop" painted on the road you should "officially" apply the parking brake according tto the Highway Code so Stop Start should not cut in if you don't have your foot on the brake pedal and are using the EPB. At a give way then try applying less pressure on the foot brake, just enough to overcome the small amount of drive at idle and your stop/start should not cut in. You have to apply quite a lot of pressure to the foot brake to make the stop/strat cut the engine. I don't seem to have any problem with holding the car at junctions or traffic lights that I am familiar with and am used to the period that they cycle through but I admit on the few aoccassions that I visit places new to me then sometimes stop start is an issue but then I press the button to inhibit it. BTW I believe that there is nothing LR or any other car maker can do to avoid fitting the system to new cars, it's now part of the homologation process and has been forced on us by mental cyclists and ecowarriors through the Green Party and Brussels. Possibly one of those things that "seemed like a good idea at the time" to reduce emissions of vehicles stopped at traffic lights. There has been a posting on BabyRR about how to bypass the stop start permanently on an Evoque but I cannot find it now. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #486429 Wed Feb 03 2016 9:53am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote

United Kingdom 

Tim, solution is simple for home market cars - Leave the EU, no more Start Stop, Adblue or other Euro nonsense. 2018 MY19 HSE Dynamic, Santorini, Ebony/Ivory, Sliding pano, Adaptive cruise, Black wheels. Arrived 3rd September 2018
2015 MY16 HSE Dynamic, Santorini, ebony/cirrus, sliding pano, cameras, black wheels - Arrived 1 October 2015

Post #486446 Wed Feb 03 2016 11:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wilf

Actually I can't see that happening. Sad

Even outside the EU, our car manufacturers would have to comply with all EU legislation, and I can't see them producing "special" models for the home market that differ. Ditto for imports, but in reverse. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #486447 Wed Feb 03 2016 12:09pm
Tim in Scotland

The other solution is for every one to stop driving in town and thus avoid the need for stop start in the first place, but please don't all move out to the remoteish areas like where I live and spoil the peace and quiet where I can only hear reall tractors rather than the Chelsea variety from my bedroom window! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #486466 Wed Feb 03 2016 3:16pm
whippetman

Tim
Think that with the weather in Scotland we will stay firmly where we are Very Happy

Post #486483 Wed Feb 03 2016 7:54pm
Tim in Scotland

Fortunately for me I'm not there either as have been working between Algeciras/Tangier and Lagos/ Douala and Abdijan since late November and have another month to do by which time I'm hoping that the UK weather in general will be warming up and getting less windy. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #486496 Wed Feb 03 2016 9:09pm
whippetman

Cool Cool Cool Cool Bow down Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #486497 Wed Feb 03 2016 9:12pm

United Kingdom 

Not been too bad here in the far NW, no snow but a bit wet and windy - at least it keeps the zombies away, AKA tourists; so we can enjoy the great driving roads and the cursed start/stop never operates. 2018 MY19 HSE Dynamic, Santorini, Ebony/Ivory, Sliding pano, Adaptive cruise, Black wheels. Arrived 3rd September 2018
2015 MY16 HSE Dynamic, Santorini, ebony/cirrus, sliding pano, cameras, black wheels - Arrived 1 October 2015

Post #486505 Wed Feb 03 2016 9:37pm
Tim in Scotland

Sounds great but I can assure you that working anywhere in West Africa is not cool or fun, it is very stressful! At a steady 28c all winter it isn't cool temperature wise either and Southern Spain has not been too cold either.

0310/Tony, what's the latest with your car, have you got it back yet? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #486517 Wed Feb 03 2016 10:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>