RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > SVR standard wheels.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

SVR575

United Kingdom 
SVR standard wheels.

What is the opinion of the SVR on the standard 21" rims? Where i live the roads are bad and i have a long steep gravel road, also i need winter tyres fitted during winter months. The standard tyres are all seasons i believe. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #480314 Wed Nov 18 2015 7:44pm
DaveW

United Kingdom 

I what way do you mean what is the opinion?

As in style, or capability when compared to the 22"s?

Style -wise, you have a unique wheel. Capability wise you have a more all round tyre rather than the slightly more focussed 22" CS5
However, for what you describe, either would suffice except for the All Season 21" tyre being exactly that and possibly not needing swapping out for a full winter tyre depending on markets

Post #480375 Thu Nov 19 2015 1:16pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Thanks Dave. What i also wanted to know was the thoughts about these are they ok or is the 22" a must have option on the SVR? SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #480386 Thu Nov 19 2015 3:45pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Depends on whether you are on a tight budget or not. Seeing as you're buying an SVR then maybe not, so 22"s are a must IMHO. They were designed for it. And vice versa. And look nicer. Also, a set of 21s with tyres and TPMS cost me only slightly more than a set of tyres alone for one of my other cars, and that was 12 years ago*.

*Note to JLR - make sure they keep making the tyres in this size. Goodyear, who made the tyres for two of my toys, stopped making them 10 years ago. And no one else makes the same size**.

**Not quite correct. Pirelli make some for the Bentley, but they don't look right on these cars, plus I really do not like Pirelli tyres***.

***The M+S tyres I have on the 21s for winter are Pirellis. Rolling Eyes 

Post #480413 Thu Nov 19 2015 7:57pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

My car came originally with the 21s and I bought a set of 22s for summer use, around £4700 IIRC with tyres.

If you order the 22s as factory fit, the car also comes with set of stick on plastic wheel arch extensions called spats which you may or may not like. I don't like them and I am glad I do not have them.

So now I have a routine of switching to the winter M+S tyres around this time of year and back to the summer tyres around, say, 1 April but depending on your location.

There's no doubt the 22s sharpen the handling (a little) but at the expense (a little) of ride comfort. Truth is, you notice the difference immediately after making the change but it then becomes less noticeable. I have cars which provide sharper handling than the SVR with 22s and a more comfortable ride than the SVR with 21s, so the SVR is somewhere in the middle.

If you don't want the hassle of changing the wheels, the 21s are probably the better bet for Italian road conditions where all weather tyres are required in winter. The 22s though do look good and fill the wheel arch better. They both have their merits which is why I decided on them both. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #480426 Thu Nov 19 2015 8:58pm
DaveW

United Kingdom 

philmw wrote:
Depends on whether you are on a tight budget or not. Seeing as you're buying an SVR then maybe not, so 22"s are a must IMHO. They were designed for it. And vice versa. And look nicer. Also, a set of 21s with tyres and TPMS cost me only slightly more than a set of tyres alone for one of my other cars, and that was 12 years ago*.

*Note to JLR - make sure they keep making the tyres in this size. Goodyear, who made the tyres for two of my toys, stopped making them 10 years ago. And no one else makes the same size**.

**Not quite correct. Pirelli make some for the Bentley, but they don't look right on these cars, plus I really do not like Pirelli tyres***.

***The M+S tyres I have on the 21s for winter are Pirellis. Rolling Eyes

Are you referring to the 22"s Phil? I think you're safe for a good while yet Very Happy

Post #480433 Thu Nov 19 2015 9:52pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Go for the 22's and take a look at Dan@Duckworths offer on the SVR 21's.............. I run my HSE Dynamic on OEM 22's and have just purchased the other set of SVR 21's c/w M&S tyres and free shipping (within the UK) for my winter rims. Cost from Dan is not a lot more than the cost of a new set of just the tyres. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Fri Nov 20 2015 10:11am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #480445 Thu Nov 19 2015 11:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Not sure shipping to Italy would be free...

One other thing which has dogged wheel changes in the past is the TPMS getting confused by the change of sensor. My experience is that the car adapts very quickly to the new sensors, so there are no problems. Mark

Post #480457 Fri Nov 20 2015 4:56am
Tim in Scotland

Oops didn't notice the location Mark! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #480469 Fri Nov 20 2015 10:10am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I regularly buy wine from Italy and it's not ruinous, something like €180 for 10 cases of wine to arrive from Tuscany, about €250 from Puglia but I think the wheels would be more because both the absolute weight and the volumetric weight will be more - 4 wheels take up much more space than 10 cases of wine. Mark

Post #480473 Fri Nov 20 2015 10:23am
Tim in Scotland

Must admit that I was really impressed with the way that Dan had packed them, all four strapped on a beefy new pallet with plenty of heavy duty plastic padding sheeting between the wheels and also between the strapping and the wheels. The delivery driver told me that he gets to deliver lots of wheel sets around Central Scotland and he was also impressed, only problem was he didn't have a pallet truck on the back of his wagon so we had to unpack them in the back of the truck rather than lift them off in a oner on the pallet. There must be good money in new pallets as he was very keen that I might not be able to dispose of it myself and he took it away but left me with the padding to put between the wheels in my garage. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #480477 Fri Nov 20 2015 10:43am
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the replys guys. I did find your review on here Mark very good thanks. Good idea about getting the 21" then have them fitted for the winter. Thanks. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #480516 Fri Nov 20 2015 5:29pm
TSLJon

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Out of interest on the 22 inch wheels without the plastic arch extensions, are these not illegal? The wheels stick out too far do they not?

My SVR 2016MY has the wheel extensions. Though I also saw a brand new one at the dealers with 22 inch wheels without the wheel extensions.... 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE
2013 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE 8 Speed

Post #480594 Sat Nov 21 2015 6:04pm
Tim in Scotland

This was also the reason given for the tiny arch extensions fitted to Evoque with 20" wheels fitted as OEM, to comply with the law. I have OEM 22's fitted by the factory as an option on my HSE Dynamic and no arch extensions which I assume is due to the different profile of the 22's fitted to less exalted models! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #480596 Sat Nov 21 2015 6:09pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Went to winter mode today, from

Click image to enlarge

to

Click image to enlarge

Difference on the 21s (apart from not looking as nice IMHO) - not much. Quieter maybe. Possibly softer ride. I get the impression the handling at times of fun won't be as good, but I've only done 10 miles in them so far and there is snow on the ground.

Changing the wheels was a long, difficult and bloody cold job this morning. Decided to do it outside as didn't want to move the car that is currently parked over the scissor lift. My jack wasn't long enough, a problem Mark highlighted, and ended up having to stand it on 5 inches-worth of rubber blocks!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  

Post #480597 Sat Nov 21 2015 6:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>