RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > New Owner - '08 TDV8 vs S/C Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Richie

New Owner - '08 TDV8 vs S/C Question

Hey guys, new member here. I'm very near to buying my first RRS and I've been set on getting the 3.6 TDV8 mainly for the fuel economy over the S/C. Just waiting to sell the 996 Turbo and I hope to be driving a Range very soon.

Over the last week or so I've been having some concerns about all the turbo failures and major issues that I've been reading about with these cars. My question is, is there a significant difference in reliability between the petrol or the diesel engines? Or am I just reading too much into the 'my car broke' hype?

Part of me is genuinely concerned about some of the things I have read, and to be honest part of me is looking for any excuse to buy the S/C version! Twisted Evil

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. (And anyone interested in a 996 Turbo Cabriolet feel free to message me Razz )

Thanks,
Richie

Post #479441 Wed Nov 11 2015 5:42am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Hi and Welcome

I have had both, TDV8 cracking motor had it remapped and it went like a rocket no Hesitation or Turbo Lag and never had any problems with it at all. However if you can cope with the fuel bill's I would go for the S/C. The TDV8 averaged around 25-26mpg my 5.0L S/C 13-14mpg.

Cheers
Col

Post #479445 Wed Nov 11 2015 8:14am
Timf

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

Hi Richie, lots on this forum about TDV8 turbos. There are some scare stories, but I'm on my second TDV8 and have driven 80k miles total in them with no issues. For peace of mind get a warranty. I have had a Warranty Direct policy which I and others have found good. Totally recommend TDV8 Thumbs Up

Post #479449 Wed Nov 11 2015 10:15am
shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

TDV8 here with 112,000 on the clock, still running great Cool 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #479453 Wed Nov 11 2015 11:18am
crammy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Stornoway Grey

i was the same as you and full of worry with what i read about. just went for the supercharged in the end Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Post #479456 Wed Nov 11 2015 11:49am
Richie

Haha Crammy, I've always made those kind of choices. I'm trying to be good this time round! You can catch 50 pound notes out of the exhaust if you stand behind my E55 AMG, and the Porsche is no better. I need a more economical everyday / tow car. Planing on building a small track car for some weekend fun, and I cant justify the extra fuel costs.

I never thought of buying extra warranty though, thanks for that Timf. I will definitely look into that.

I guess its going to be the TDV8 after all.

Post #479471 Wed Nov 11 2015 3:13pm
Olly-ibiza

I hate my TDV8, given the chance again id have bought a supercharged version, they are way cheaper to buy and if it blows up you can buy a whole engine for the price of a pair of turbos from landrover spiteful Range Rover Sport tdv8

Post #479481 Wed Nov 11 2015 4:20pm
Woppyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Siberian Silver

Super, super, SUPERCHARGER!

I've never had a Rangie before, so don't know what the diesels are like. The SC is a monster though. A real wolf in sheeps clothing. Two Mini Cooper's and a Grand Piano in weight that launches like a missile.
 Evoque HSE Dynamic
5.0 Charger MY12

Post #479635 Thu Nov 12 2015 9:10pm
Richie

Well I was going to put down a deposit on one I found in Belgium on Monday. Spoke to the dealer and I was ready to go.. but after spending more time browsing through forums I have to say I have never seen so much "turbo blown" "another turbo" "my turbos blew" "my tubros blew again!"

I understand fully that you will always see more negatives because they get talked about more. BUT the sheer number on every forum I have looked at is enough to make me steer far away. Even if there are plenty of owners problem free, I think the amount of people coming forward with major issues is still something to be concerned about. Every car has its problems, I would know I've owned plenty, but I've got a gut feeling I'll be one of the unlucky ones and kicking myself. I even spent some time the last days looking at upgrading the turbo's and trying to beat the possible failures. But I had to stop myself..

I really loved the idea of owning a RRS and have wanted one for a long time but for now I think I'll have to pass on the TDV8. So I was going to go for the S/C version... and I figured if I'm buying a go fast luxury 4x4, then I'm going for the 957 Cayenne Turbo 500hp. I don't do any off road driving so its suits me just fine.
Did I mention its Bow down 500hp! Mr. Green

Well thanks for all your comments guys, hopefully I'll be back sometime in the future with a later model RRS.

*You may now initiate Porsche flaming mode* Laughing

Post #479655 Thu Nov 12 2015 10:48pm
BKHK

Australia 

Cheerio then.

Post #479656 Thu Nov 12 2015 10:58pm
B9BS X

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Definitely the S/C, I drove the diesel first then the S/C and it took me a split second to make up my mind and went for the S/C and never looked back Laughing RRS SUPERCHARGED, 22 INCH ALLOYS, JAVA BLACK, FULLY COLOUR CODED
EVERY POSSIBLE SOFTWARE UPDATE INCLUDING - BLUTOOTH UPDATE, SATNAV ON THE MOVE, CLOCK ON DASH, 3 CLICK FLASH, GEARBOX RESET, COMPRESSOR UPDATE AND SUSPENSION LOWERED,
BLACK CODE RE-MAPPED, AUTOBIOGRAPHY'D, NEW EXIDE BATTERY, NEW DENSO ALTERNATOR

Post #479657 Thu Nov 12 2015 11:16pm
Woppyman

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Siberian Silver

Richie wrote:
Well I was going to put down a deposit on one I found in Belgium on Monday. Spoke to the dealer and I was ready to go.. but after spending more time browsing through forums I have to say I have never seen so much "turbo blown" "another turbo" "my turbos blew" "my tubros blew again!"

I understand fully that you will always see more negatives because they get talked about more. BUT the sheer number on every forum I have looked at is enough to make me steer far away. Even if there are plenty of owners problem free, I think the amount of people coming forward with major issues is still something to be concerned about. Every car has its problems, I would know I've owned plenty, but I've got a gut feeling I'll be one of the unlucky ones and kicking myself. I even spent some time the last days looking at upgrading the turbo's and trying to beat the possible failures. But I had to stop myself..

I really loved the idea of owning a RRS and have wanted one for a long time but for now I think I'll have to pass on the TDV8. So I was going to go for the S/C version... and I figured if I'm buying a go fast luxury 4x4, then I'm going for the 957 Cayenne Turbo 500hp. I don't do any off road driving so its suits me just fine.
Did I mention its Bow down 500hp! Mr. Green

Well thanks for all your comments guys, hopefully I'll be back sometime in the future with a later model RRS.

*You may now initiate Porsche flaming mode* Laughing

Don't worry, I'm sure the 10hp less you have in the Porsche won't be that noticeable Thumbs Up Evoque HSE Dynamic
5.0 Charger MY12

Post #479662 Thu Nov 12 2015 11:33pm
Richie

Hahaha Woppyman, But its the 4.2l I was comparing to.. 500 vs 390, not your roaring beast! I'd love to be driving a 5.0l S/C! Just a bit more than I'm willing to spend right now.. But hopefully in the future!

Post #479663 Thu Nov 12 2015 11:45pm
smiler148

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Hi.

Well when i bought my sport i had the same thoughts running through my head weather to go for a diesel (probably TDV8) or the S/C.
In the end i opted for the supercharged 4.2 for the following reasons.

1. They are cheaper to buy, which is just aswell as no matter what range rover you buy they will allways need some kind of work (only bushes for mine which i did know about when i purchased)

2. No turbos that require the body to be lifted in order to change out.

3. No other expensive diesel parts i.e high pressure common rail injection, high pressure diesel fuel pump.

4. When petrol do break they are generally cheaper to fix and easier to fault find/repair.

5. I only do about 4k miles a year.

6. Its a supercharged V8 jaguar engine!

7. I did manage to knock 3k off the price! Although i did have to do basically all bushes but even still this was only around 1k max in parts.

5. At an average of 15 - 16mpg compared to my mates TDV8s 20-21mpg i think all the above are work that little extra running cost as may work out no more expensive in the long term

And yes granted the supercharger may go or something else expensive but the chance of this is much lower than say turbos on a TDV8.

Post #479683 Fri Nov 13 2015 10:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1